Will the Grado vs. Senn debate ever end?
Oct 29, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #16 of 70
Who cares? Get both
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #17 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
Who cares? Get both
evil_smiley.gif

Agreed... When I owned an SR80 and an HD 580, it was nice to have the HD 580 for movies where comfort for hours on end was a big factor and the SR80's when I wanted to crank the volume and rock out for a while!

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #18 of 70
I define sense of presentation as the exquisite balance between ultimate detail and ultimate tonal accuracy.

Premise 1: Every individidual has a unique taste for musical style, sense of intimacy, and sense of presentation.

Premise 2: There is no perfect level of intimacy (distanct, close, or in between are all equally valid), no perfect sense of presentation (preserving tonal balance fully while masking lots of details is just as valid as fleshing out every possible sound while removing tonal balance), and no perfect taste.

Premise 3: Different headphones are equal in quality but achieve an almost endless variety of preferences of taste.

Conclusion: There is no perfect headphone even if all headphones are equal in quality. It follows that the Grado vs. Senn debate is impossible to conclude.

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 29, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 70
What I personally find hilarious is that the high end Senns are just generally inoffensive. A lot of people like them for that very reason. But some people DON'T like Senns and it often seems it's because they fail to offend: sounds too distant, highs rolled off, damn that veil!
biggrin.gif

I've only had a few short listening sessions with various Grados, and (as a Sennheiser owner), their sound has made me go Hmmm. As in "Hmmm...I'd probably have to have full use of these for a month before I could figure out whether I liked them or not." I was horrified at the sound of the 325s in a local hi-fi shop, but thought the RS-2s at the same shop were pretty decent and liked the PS-1 on first listen at a meet. I'll probably end up with a pair of Grados at some point just for variety. Unless I end up going Stax - the mere mention of which seems to cause way more argument than Senn vs. Grado
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #20 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
Premise 3: Different headphones are equal in quality but achieve an almost endless variety of preferences of taste.

Conclusion: There is no perfect headphone even if all headphones are equal in quality. It follows that the Grado vs. Senn debate is impossible to conclude.

Ah, but your third premise is flawed! We all know that streetstyles != high end phones, no matter your taste preference. And, just as well know that, we also know that grados are not equal to sennheisers. The senns are obviously better, and you have terrible ears if you can't tell that!
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #21 of 70
Quote:

Unless I end up going Stax - the mere mention of which seems to cause way more argument than Senn vs. Grado

*cough* Well, that may be because certain people seem to insist that electrostatics are better than dynamics, period, and refuses to budge to the concept of "personal preference"...

Oct 29, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #22 of 70
^^^

I bet I can name one person on this website that does that! I won't say his name, but you all know how much he is liked around here because of his complete disregard of personal opinion.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 11:09 AM Post #25 of 70
What surprises me is that company like Grado, run in a basement and two floors of an apartment building in Brooklyn, with so few people compared to senn can compete with a full-fledged company like Sennheiser. I give them props for that alone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #26 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by chillysalsa
It's been argued that people that suffer from sensitivity to high frequencies will prefer Sennheisers, and people that have suffered some hearing loss in that range of hearing would prefer Grados.

Actually my ears are extremely sensitive to brightness/harshness and I actually find rs-1 w/ flat pads to be easier on my ears then senn hd580/hd600. Why, because the senns have harsher highs.

ps. Grado vs. Senn debates rule!

Biggie.

Oct 29, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #27 of 70
Grados are heavily coloured. They have no soundstage. They have highs which only deaf people will enjoy. They are too expensive and hence rip-offs. They are all terrbily uncomfortable.

Sennheiser rules
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #28 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Actually my ears are extremely sensitive to brightness/harshness and I actually find rs-1 w/ flat pads to be easier on my ears then senn hd580/hd600. Why, because the senns have harsher highs.

ps. Grado vs. Senn debates rule!

Biggie.

Ditto!!!
rs1smile.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #29 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Grados are heavily coloured. They have no soundstage. They have highs which only deaf people will enjoy. They are too expensive and hence rip-offs. They are all terrbily uncomfortable.

Sennheiser rules
evil_smiley.gif

Sennheisers are heavily veiled. They have an expansive soundstage which removes some of the immediacy and detail that Grados provide. They have rolled off highs that make it seem as though you are deaf to those frequencies. They are too expensive for how they sound and hence rip-offs. They are comfortable, though.
biggrin.gif

Grado rules!
evil_smiley.gif

[size=xx-small]Note: I like both Senns and Grados, but some of what saint.panda said about Grados is just not true. It's not right IMO to use such harsh terms that might steer newbies away from Grados and toward the literal "dark side" of Senns![/size]

Oct 29, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #30 of 70
Quote:

Dude1: I like Sennheisers, they are more neutral
Dude2: You must like rolled off highs... get Grados to hear the details.
Dude1: No, those give me Grado fatigue!

Or get AKG's, more soundstage, no +10dB treble peak but no veil...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back