Will the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's get better sounding as they burn in?
Jan 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

mpetrera

New Head-Fier
Hey guys just got the 80 ohm version, I have never had professional-level sound before so i think they sound great. One thing I'm wondering about, however, is the sibilance. It seems kinda harsh, like it needs to loosen up on those high range noises. Will they get better sounding over time? 

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 34
Most break-in happens within minutes to hours of operation so if you already used them to a maximum of maybe 12 hours, they're pretty much where they're going to be at for the rest of their lifetime.

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 34

Quote:
Hey guys just got the 80 ohm version, I have never had professional-level sound before so i think they sound great. One thing I'm wondering about, however, is the sibilance. It seems kinda harsh, like it needs to loosen up on those high range noises. Will they get better sounding over time? 

Are you using a headphone amplifier with them?
They really do not sound their best unless used with a headphone amplifier.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 34
Its been a while since I heard my 770s .. AFAIK I do not recall any sibilance.  Speaking of sibilance .. you should try Sony MDR-V6s or 7506s .. those have loads of sibilance.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

I have the 250 Ohm version, but the only obvious change I noticed over time is the bass getting less heavy, and maybe the upper midrange being somewhat less recessed. Other than psychologically getting used to the sound signature, in my opinion both of these changes are down to the seal becoming worse because of looser clamping force and the deterioration of ear pads from wear. A similar effect has been reported by others as well, when old worn ear pads are replaced by new ones, the bloated bass returns immediately. Driver "burn-in" has minor (< 1dB) effects at most. Maybe the treble was slightly veiled and grainy for a period of time, but that could very well have been just a psychological effect. In any case, after a few months the highs are just as sharp as out of the box. So do not expect it do become smoother, if anything, the sound will be even brighter overall because of the loss of bass, just maybe clearer and less boomy/muffled. Amplifiers will not fundamentally change the sound either (unless you get one that has a deliberately colored frequency response), their effect on the sound quality, especially of high impedance headphones, is rather overrated on this forum.
To summarize: if you want to keep the DT770, and do not like the amount of treble, you will probably have to equalize, or modify the headphone (e.g. add DT880 style treble filtering disks like those seen here).

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 34
Man now that I'm getting used to these headphones they are amazing. Everything sounds good on them from modest mouse to the glitch mob. The sibilance has definitely gone down, and they seem like they are perfectly fine thru my laptop and speaker system. The ipod is definitely a little bit lacking, but for people who say a laptop cant power them I can't play them over 50% on my laptop because it is much too loud, and the bass is definitely still impacting. I think the sibilance was worse straight out of the box, seems like them and my ears needed a little loosening up. Maybe one day I'll get a headphone amp just for the hell of it. Thanks for the responses fellas.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 34
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

- the short answer quoted from his article... "This idea that you simply must let headphones break-in before you know what they are going to sound like is a myth. And this data busts it."

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #10 of 34
what are you powering them with?
as already mentioned the 770/80 is a very different sounding headphone amped vs unamped in my experience.

and really the 770 pro 80s aren't that sibilent of a headphone.

you should hear the 990 or sony's mentioned above, or some grados

i think you might just be experiencing non rolled off highs or they are revealing poorly mastered material.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 34
I have the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's and at times they do seem a little simbilant. I think you will find this with artists that can really hit those high notes. It will give you a SSS sound. That's not to take away from where these headphones really excel. Mids are pretty good and the bass will hit good balanced notes without distortion or rattling. If you find any distortion, it is normally because of bad recordings or from over emphasized bass boosted songs that are downloaded at a low bit rate. I love mine and will be listening to them for awhile. I use the fiio E9 and the portable E7 both do a descent job with these cans and would say that if you have the DT 770's then you should definitely invest in an amp. A regular MP3 player won't do them all the justice they deserve.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 34
I agree that the amp will give bigger sound. Which for many listeners is great given they are using an ipod or similar device. I found listening from my droid that the sound was a little too quiet for my taste. I would definitely advise on getting an amp if you plan on cranking it up a notch.

Apr 28, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 34
So my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm cans will be arriving this Friday. And am kinda nervous about this sibilence thing. My Fidelio X2 can get sibilent but have that awesome bass, especially for gaming. Ive read that the Dt770 have a similar sound to the X2. Only in a closed headphone, which is great for what I'm looking for. Gonna A and B them off my two amps. SS vs OTL Tubed amp. Have some tubes that are super warm so it will be interesting to see if that sort of EQ the treble down a bit. If not...well, the pads are coming off so that I can add some cotton lining (paper towels?) in between the pads and drivers, read that that does a great job at reducing the elevated treble. So we'll see. :)

Apr 28, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #15 of 34
So my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm cans will be arriving this Friday. And am kinda nervous about this sibilence thing. My Fidelio X2 can get sibilent but have that awesome bass, especially for gaming. Ive read that the Dt770 have a similar sound to the X2. Only in a closed headphone, which is great for what I'm looking for. Gonna A and B them off my two amps. SS vs OTL Tubed amp. Have some tubes that are super warm so it will be interesting to see if that sort of EQ the treble down a bit. If not...well, the pads are coming off so that I can add some cotton lining (paper towels?) in between the pads and drivers, read that that does a great job at reducing the elevated treble. So we'll see. :)
Try the Shure HPAEC1540 Replacement Alcantara Ear Pads. It will smoothen out the treble response a bit and warm up the signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back