Will the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's get better sounding as they burn in?
May 1, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #16 of 34
(first impressions) ----> These headphones are kinda small, made for kids? The Fostex have bigger cups.

(Initial listening impressions) ----> Yup...these are bright! On my tubed amp even...wow.

(after some tube rolling) -----> N I C E..... S W E E T..... S M O O T H... I can get use to this. :) (even with the stock pads)

2020-05-01 12.04.41-2.jpg2020-05-01 12.02.32-2.jpg2020-05-01 11.57.53-2.jpg

May 3, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #17 of 34
Try the Shure HPAEC1540 Replacement Alcantara Ear Pads. It will smoothen out the treble response a bit and warm up the signature.
I got my go to pads Dekoni coming in but I'm thinking I might be ok with the stock pads. Have these plugged into my tubed amp and loving the sound these produce. I really appreciate how it changes from track to track in a true representaion of the recording. Hhip hop... lots of BAss, casual listening, so smooth, clear and crisp. Not bloated, even with the bass port! I'm enjoying these so much that I almost feel bad for my Sennheiser HD6XX, they might be collecting dust like the rest of them.

May 3, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #18 of 34
I got my go to pads Dekoni coming in but I'm thinking I might be ok with the stock pads. Have these plugged into my tubed amp and loving the sound these produce. I really appreciate how it changes from track to track in a true representaion of the recording. Hhip hop... lots of BAss, casual listening, so smooth, clear and crisp. Not bloated, even with the bass port! I'm enjoying these so much that I almost feel bad for my Sennheiser HD6XX, they might be collecting dust like the rest of them.
I think there can be some unit to unit variance, and Beyers might be a bit loose when it comes to it. I've tried several DT770s, and there was one that sounded quite good, and there was another sounded too recessed in the upper-mids comparatively. I discovered them at a meet thankfully to somebody that brought them withe Shure pads on them. Which was an eye opening experience to break the Beyer stereotype for me.

Personally, preferred them out of high damping factor solid-state myself. I preferred it sounding tight.

Great closed-back value I say, and it's best if you get the right one. Most of the ones I've tried were 250 ohms.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #19 of 34
I think there can be some unit to unit variance, and Beyers might be a bit loose when it comes to it. I've tried several DT770s, and there was one that sounded quite good, and there was another sounded too recessed in the upper-mids comparatively. I discovered them at a meet thankfully to somebody that brought them withe Shure pads on them. Which was an eye opening experience to break the Beyer stereotype for me.

Personally, preferred them out of high damping factor solid-state myself. I preferred it sounding tight.

Great closed-back value I say, and it's best if you get the right one. Most of the ones I've tried were 250 ohms.
Might have to grab those Shure pads, My Fostex has the same pads I ordered (I think they're the same) and thought to pull them and give it a spin on the Beyers.. Yes they do warm up a bit, nice, and not as warm as the Sennheiser...holy comparisons! The shure pad you recommended have an oval shape to them, that correct? Or maybe the Amazon stock photo is off?https://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC1540-Replacement-Alcantara-Headphones/dp/B00HXAV0UY

2020-05-03 16.19.17-1.jpg

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #20 of 34
Might have to grab those Shure pads, My Fostex has the same pads I ordered (I think they're the same) and thought to pull them and give it a spin on the Beyers.. Yes they do warm up a bit, nice, and not as warm as the Sennheiser...holy comparisons! The shure pad you recommended have an oval shape to them, that correct? Or maybe the Amazon stock photo is off?https://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC1540-Replacement-Alcantara-Headphones/dp/B00HXAV0UY

Distinctly the most different pads I've ever ran into when I first got them. I like the cloth material, but I can see them not being ideal in humid climates. I found comfortable in a different way than sheepskin material because when I comes to leather, I like the feel of sheepskin. I like the feel of them better than stock fuzzy pads. So, it's a non-leather material that doesn't have the velour or like fuzziness to them I'm not all that fond of.

image-asset.jpeg

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #21 of 34
Distinctly the most different pads I've ever ran into when I first got them. I like the cloth material, but I can see them not being ideal in humid climates. I found comfortable in a different way than sheepskin material because when I comes to leather, I like the feel of sheepskin. I like the feel of them better than stock fuzzy pads. So, it's a non-leather material that doesn't have the velour or like fuzziness to them I'm not all that fond of.

image-asset.jpeg
Pads just got in (Dekoni Leather) and specific to the Beyerdynamics, think I'll keep them. And I keep saying over and over how I'm impressed I am with these. If your wanting an (inexpensive) closed headphone with great soundstage (opens up wider with the tubed amp) and dynamics, these are them. To answer the OP, these do sound better with use, high hat settles a bit.
2020-05-06 16.37.19-1.jpg

May 24, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #22 of 34

So I modded my amp with a bias tweak and now my Sennheisers are a new animal, and that recessed mid-range is now severely pronounced on the Dt770 :D go figure. As a last ditch effort I'll be trying those pads after all, thanks for your input.

May 26, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #23 of 34
Pads just got in (Dekoni Leather) and specific to the Beyerdynamics, think I'll keep them. And I keep saying over and over how I'm impressed I am with these. If your wanting an (inexpensive) closed headphone with great soundstage (opens up wider with the tubed amp) and dynamics, these are them. To answer the OP, these do sound better with use, high hat settles a bit.
2020-05-06 16.37.19-1.jpg
what pads are those in the pics?

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #28 of 34
I'm having the sibilant problem that others have mentioned. I just got the DT 770 Pro 32 from new egg for $130 or so on black Friday, I figured I'd give them a try for that price. I have only started listening last night to a few tracks, and I can tell right away that with symbol crashes and "sssss" in the voice jump out at me as out of place. My primary cans are Denon Ah-D2000 but I was looking for something to buy for at home because I use the 2000 at my office when programming. I am currently running the audio technica M50x which sounds great better than the 770 with a DAC AMP. When I say better, I mean, in my opinion, its closer to the sound signature that I prefer. The 770 (32ohm) is a bit too thin (even with a dac amp), the M50x is a bit too bass heavy and the D2000 sound perfect to me. My dac amp is a new Octavart dsd Champa-Elysees.

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #29 of 34
I'm having the sibilant problem that others have mentioned. I just got the DT 770 Pro 32 from new egg for $130 or so on black Friday, I figured I'd give them a try for that price. I have only started listening last night to a few tracks, and I can tell right away that with symbol crashes and "sssss" in the voice jump out at me as out of place. My primary cans are Denon Ah-D2000 but I was looking for something to buy for at home because I use the 2000 at my office when programming. I am currently running the audio technica M50x which sounds great better than the 770 with a DAC AMP. When I say better, I mean, in my opinion, its closer to the sound signature that I prefer. The 770 (32ohm) is a bit too thin (even with a dac amp), the M50x is a bit too bass heavy and the D2000 sound perfect to me. My dac amp is a new Octavart dsd Champa-Elysees.
The stock pads don't help, they're comfortable but don't help, deeper pads will help. Look up Dekoni Pads website.. they give the frequency response for each pad they have for the Beyer's... I think 4 in total. That's if you want to keep them.
IMG_20200602_181303.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back