Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › How to convert DT 880 into DT 990 (and vice versa). DT 770 Info.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to convert DT 880 into DT 990 (and vice versa). DT 770 Info.

post #1 of 63
Thread Starter 
Lots of inqueries, so i decided to make a thread. The 880 is essentially the same cans as 990, but with somewhat linearized frequency response. In other words folks at Beyer tried to change 'U-shaped" curve of 990 for something closer to "---". Two problems of 990(well, someone will not call it problems but great features instead) are somewhat exaggerated bass and piercing treble. So, DT 880: to tame the treble, there's additional layer of felt(or something similar) in front of the driver(1-st picture); to damp the bass, there's a net behind the driver(2-nd picture). As you can see(pictures 3&4), 990's driver have neither ring of felt, nor net.
So, to pull a DT 990, just remove the felt and cut-off the net.
Also, you can pull a DT 880 having DT 990, it's just a little harder. On the other hand, you can try different thickness of felt while DIY or instead of that net, you can try to damp the driver from the backside with felt or foam...in other word you can tune then up to your tastes.

Picture 1: DT 880 driver-front.


Picture 2: DT 880 driver-backside.


Picture 3: DT 990 driver-front.


Picture 4: DT 990 driver-backside.


To me it's worth to leave that felt ring in place but remove the net, so you will have somewhat softened treble of 880 but strong bass of 990. Also, i recommend to all DT 770 owners to experiment with ring of felt(DT 770, like 990 doesn't have that ring in stock form) to reduce the agressive treble.

There's also felt donut right under outer grill in dt 880, and nothing but just grill in ft 990. I will add picture when i'll find it.
post #2 of 63
on 880, if the net on the back is removed, will it be easy to put back just in case?
post #3 of 63
Thread Starter 
I don't think so. Depends on how accurate you removed it. Anyway, i'd not take any chances.
post #4 of 63
aah if this is so then the character of the 2 cans sonics are identical then (driverwise). If so, then I can now conclude that the dt880s are not for me. Hated the mids of the dt990s(for the price anyway). If they were $60, they would be a good value though.
post #5 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
aah if this is so then the character of the 2 cans sonics are identical then (driverwise).
Not identical, but very close. Drivers are the same.

Yes, midrange is always a problem with Beyer top lineup.
post #6 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post
I can now conclude that the dt880s are not for me. Hated the mids of the dt990
Did you try the 600-Ohm version? Well-liked at the NJ meet, and clearly better than the 250-Ohm 880's.
post #7 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post
aah if this is so then the character of the 2 cans sonics are identical then (driverwise). If so, then I can now conclude that the dt880s are not for me. Hated the mids of the dt990s(for the price anyway). If they were $60, they would be a good value though.
Just because you don't like the sound sig of a headphone doesn't mean it is worth any less. It doesn't float your boat - just leave it at that. And, yes - I am being overly sensitive to your remark because I happen to love the DT990s!
post #8 of 63
It has been my ongoing theory that all three DTxx0 headphones share the same driver. It is just the execution of the set-up that sets them apart since they are obvious differences across all three.
post #9 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior05 View Post
Just because you don't like the sound sig of a headphone doesn't mean it is worth any less. It doesn't float your boat - just leave it at that. And, yes - I am being overly sensitive to your remark because I happen to love the DT990s!
hehehe ok sorry about that
post #10 of 63
hey QQQ, thanks for putting this up. :D I know I was one of the ppl who PM'ed asking.
post #11 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior05 View Post
It has been my ongoing theory that all three DTxx0 headphones share the same driver. It is just the execution of the set-up that sets them apart since they are obvious differences across all three.
it's not a theory, it's true. i remember reading it in several places, i'll try to find the sources. the dt770, dt880 and dt990 share the same drivers. it makes sense since both have the same earcup sizes, and their drivers look very similar (the op's pics are a good example) and lastly, their frequency response specs are identical on the beyer website.
post #12 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post
the dt770, dt880 and dt990 share the same drivers. it makes sense since both have the same earcup sizes, and their drivers look very similar (the op's pics are a good example) and lastly, their frequency response specs are identical on the beyer website.
Actually these are not very convincing proofs. And I do remember reading the opposite.
post #13 of 63
Thread Starter 
Drivers are exactly the same. But different dampening(that net) allows to put it differently. You can say 880 were developed from 990's drivers, even though this "development" consist only of slight tweak. But there's always a possibility to twist the words.
post #14 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
Actually these are not very convincing proofs. And I do remember reading the opposite.
could be. i'm not sure if what i read was from a credible source, i still haven't been able to find it.
post #15 of 63
thank's QQQ, nicely done and very informative
How about beyer PRO versions, how to convert them to non-Pro (normal version) have an idea ?
'cause i can buy an 990 PRO cheaply than 990 for about 35-40 %
and i really want a beyer can
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › How to convert DT 880 into DT 990 (and vice versa). DT 770 Info.