Will switching my stock Sennheiser HD 555 cable to a Blue Dragon ( Moon Audio)Cable Make A difference ?
Aug 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tristian123

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I was just wondering if you could explain what the benefits of switching my Sennehsier HD 555 cable to a Blue Dragon Moon Audio Cable would be, and if it's really worth the 150$.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 8
NO, get a pair of HD598 instead.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm not convinced about cable quality and the improvements they can bring.

That said, I would only drop that kind of money on a headphone that you absolutely love to bits.  If you think this is the perfect headphone for you, and you'd never sell it no matter what, and your headphone journey has come to an end, then it might be worth it if you want to squeeze that last bit of satisfaction out of them.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Heya,

Spending more on cables than your actual headphone?

Unless your headphone is absolute flagship, never.

Benefits will include a harsh lesson on snake oil and spending more on equipment than your actual headphone. I'm not saying there's a zero change with a cable swap, but it's going to be so minute that it likely will not be A-B heard by three separate people consistently, and the HD555 is just not high enough quality of a headphone to bother with in this way in my opinion. I wouldn't even re-cable a $300 pair of headphones without exploring a better headphone first.

Very best,

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 8
I can almost guarantee that if you did it yourself for under $20 using Mogami it WILL be an upgrade from the stock cable. Some people won't hear a difference and some will. The problem with recabling the HD-555 is that you have to make it dual entry and possibly risk killing it. The improvement would probably be less than a 5% difference and Mogami never usually changes a headphone's natural signature, just improves it.

I recabled my HD-598 with cheap wire from stock and it was 100% worth it. Total cost was under $10.

$150 cable upgrade for an HD-555 is just crazy. I imagine half of the money going towards pre-made cables is just labor. No surprise there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back