Will my Sugden Bijou Headmaster drive my headphones?
Apr 13, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 4
I have a Sugden Bijou headmaster, will it drive my Final D8000 headphones 60 ohm impedance and set at 98db?

"Set at" as in the output goal or "Sensitivity : 98dB/1mW?"

Because given a loud enough input signal to work with you only need 1mW to hit 98dB (note that gain and input signal voltage can vary that), and then you only need 19mW++ minimum reserve power to hit 113dB peaks assuming you are hitting 98dB with just 1mW.

As much as conditions for input signal voltage and gain, plus ambient noise, are not always perfect, actually listening at 98dB is going to hurt, and whether the gain is low enough is probably a more likely problem when the high sensitivity headphone is within the impedance range where the amp kicks out most of what power it can produce.

Apr 13, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 4
"Set at" as in the output goal or "Sensitivity : 98dB/1mW?"

Because given a loud enough input signal to work with you only need 1mW to hit 98dB (note that gain and input signal voltage can vary that), and then you only need 19mW++ minimum reserve power to hit 113dB peaks assuming you are hitting 98dB with just 1mW.

As much as conditions for input signal voltage and gain, plus ambient noise, are not always perfect, actually listening at 98dB is going to hurt, and whether the gain is low enough is probably a more likely problem when the high sensitivity headphone is within the impedance range where the amp kicks out most of what power it can produce.

So will the headmaster drive them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back