Will it be HD-800, T1, or LCD-2 ???
Dec 30, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #46 of 98
I own both the HD800 and the AKG 702, and I power both pairs with the Burson HA-160 and with the Schitt Audio Asgard and Vahalla. Lately I've been using mostly the Burson. On the AKG the Burson really drives these phones. Bass improves, tightens and goes deeper and very clean. Mids sound natural and the treble is perfect. The AKG 702/Burson combo is fantastic. (See 6 moons review on this pairing). They are made for each other. 
With the HD800, the Burson matches very well. The sound is rich and slightly warm, excellent bass extension with a fuller mid-range than the AKG. The treble is about even. On some recordings the soundtage is slightly better with the HD800, on others the AKG comes out on top. The AKG has a slightly leaner but cleaner sound signature, the HD800 is more analogue like. If you have the cash and can swing the HD800, I say go for it. They are superb and match well with the Burson. If on a budget the AKG 702 and Burson make music happen. If you can't swing this combo, then my other choice would be the Schitt Asgard ($249.00) and the 702 ($250.00 on Amazon). The Schitt is no slouch and will easily drive either phone, but for the ultimate budget dynamic headphone combo, the Schitt is the real deal.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #47 of 98
I feel like I should relate my disappointment with the K70x just to maintain balance in the force after that post.
tongue_smile.gif

I really should get a HA-160D one of these days.

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #48 of 98
I mostly listen to Acoustic, Jazz and Bluegrass.  I went with the HD800 and Lehmann Black Cube Linear amp. This is a great pairing. Love them!  

I almost pre-ordered the Audeze LCD-2, but the weight, cable/connectors and headband tilted me towards the HD-800.  

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #49 of 98
I have the HD800 on order for use with my Meier Corda Symphony dac/amp (currently have HD600. Are HD800 guys using after market cables? Not to debate, but having a hard time believing this would make a difference as stated in some reviews; as if Sennheiser would go to such an effort in design only to use limiting cables. Again, I'm not debating it, I truly don't know.

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #50 of 98

Quote:
I own both the HD800 and the AKG 702, and I power both pairs with the Burson HA-160 and with the Schitt Audio Asgard and Vahalla. Lately I've been using mostly the Burson. On the AKG the Burson really drives these phones. Bass improves, tightens and goes deeper and very clean. Mids sound natural and the treble is perfect. The AKG 702/Burson combo is fantastic. (See 6 moons review on this pairing). They are made for each other. 
With the HD800, the Burson matches very well. The sound is rich and slightly warm, excellent bass extension with a fuller mid-range than the AKG. The treble is about even. On some recordings the soundtage is slightly better with the HD800, on others the AKG comes out on top. The AKG has a slightly leaner but cleaner sound signature, the HD800 is more analogue like.

How about the degree of clarity/transparency of the HD800 compared to the K702?

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #51 of 98

Quote:
I feel like I should relate my disappointment with the K70x just to maintain balance in the force after that post.
tongue_smile.gif

I really should get a HA-160D one of these days.

K701 is not for everyone or for all music.  Really good for some music (acoustic, classical, acoustic jazz) and some people (who don't want it warm and fuzzy).

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #53 of 98

Quote:
I have the HD800 on order for use with my Meier Corda Symphony dac/amp (currently have HD600. Are HD800 guys using after market cables? Not to debate, but having a hard time believing this would make a difference as stated in some reviews; as if Sennheiser would go to such an effort in design only to use limiting cables. Again, I'm not debating it, I truly don't know.

I use DHC Complement.  It is a big difference to my ears, softens the sound and gives it more fullness but you loose some transparency.  If i had it to do again I may have gotten the baby complements because the weight of the full size is sometimes bothering, not that big a deal but I wonder occasionally.  I have also heard good things about the Zeus cables over at http://aphroditecu29.com/.  I heard the Zeus on an LCD-2 that made them sound much better than stock or the other aftermarket cable that was there.  I would take care to get copper if you want to warm them up and make them fuller but if you want that stark transparency, then the stock are fine with me.  I think they were going for an electrostat sound.

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #54 of 98
I greatly appreciate your response. I think I'll listen to them with the stock cable for a few months, so that I can tell the difference if I go aftermarket.

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #55 of 98
Regarding clarity and transparency on the AKG 702 vs the HD800 with the Burson HA-160, the 702 is a slightly better on clarity, with an extremely clean and detailed sound. The HD800 is also excellent, with a slightly warmer sound, a little fuller but very detailed. Ditto on the transparency question. Both are outstanding, depends on personal preference and budget concerns. Either way the Burson rocks the house with both sets of cans. I use the stock leashes with both pairs and they sound great, never felt the need to spend hundreds of $$$ on connecting wires.

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #56 of 98
Yes, I'm very suspicious about the improvement with 3rd party cables (i.e. 6moons HD800 review), but have an open mind if many are adamant that there is a clear difference.

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #57 of 98
IMO to complement the 650s go with the HD800 or T1. I haven't heard the 800 but I have the T1/650/LCD-2. The LCD-2 sounds like a more detailed 650 to me, while the T1 has a completely different sound and complements both very well. From what I have read the HD800 wouldn't sound at all like the 650 (dark, very smooth, laid back). Also, to me, the LCD-2 isn't that great with jazz/classical. If most of your music consists of acoustic/light type music, the LCD-2 isn't a great choice.

The T1s would be a fantastic alternative to a pair of HD650 as well.

Quote:
If I get the LCD-2's, are they too close in signature to the HD-650's?  Would I be better off getting the HD-800's as a complement to the 650's?  And is my FUN going to have enough of an amp?  I know the best solution is to have both the LCD-2's and HD-800's.

Rock, paper, scissors anyone?
HD-650 + HD-800?
HD-650 + LCD-2?
HD-800+LCD-2

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #58 of 98

Many thanks for your input, PascalT.  It appears that most people are of the opinion that the 800's are great for acoustic music/classical and have a significantly different signature than the 650's.  I think I'll get a pair of 800's and do some serious listening with them.  (Fingers crossed that I'll love them...)
Quote:
IMO to complement the 650s go with the HD800 or T1. I haven't heard the 800 but I have the T1/650/LCD-2. The LCD-2 sounds like a more detailed 650 to me, while the T1 has a completely different sound and complements both very well. From what I have read the HD800 wouldn't sound at all like the 650 (dark, very smooth, laid back). Also, to me, the LCD-2 isn't that great with jazz/classical. If most of your music consists of acoustic/light type music, the LCD-2 isn't a great choice.

The T1s would be a fantastic alternative to a pair of HD650 as well.

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #59 of 98
Get the T1s, a really refined sound that is head and shoulders above anything Beyer has ever done.
The HD800s can be problematic and need a lot of care and feeding to work well (and they will if you do so).
But since you are looking for a safe bet and not a lot of experimentation, the T1s are your best bet.

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #60 of 98

It would seem that I may end up with all three.  I'm set to get some 800's and have pre-ordered LCD-2's.  Now if someone wants to gift me a pair of T1's, that would be super.

Quote:
Get the T1s, a really refined sound that is head and shoulders above anything Beyer has ever done.
The HD800s can be problematic and need a lot of care and feeding to work well (and they will if you do so).
But since you are looking for a safe bet and not a lot of experimentation, the T1s are your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back