Will it be HD-800, T1, or LCD-2 ???
Dec 27, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #31 of 98

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.  I've read Uncle Erik's comments (and some others) on the HD 800 with classical.  That's the reason the HD 800 is on top of my list.  I'm glad that it is wearing well, at least for 2 Head-Fiers.  

The typical negative comments on the HD 800, being too treble-dominant, lacking bass, very detailed but not sounding musical, is very much like the K701 vs. HD 600/650 divide.  In moving up from the K701, which I like very much for small-scale classical chamber music and much jazz, I was hoping to find a more well-rounded headphone than K701 that still excels at classical and acoustic jazz.  I also recall that Uncle Erik, you don't like the K701, so probably much less problem using HD 800 outside its ideal genres.

But, before I spend $1400 on the HD 800, I'm still interested to know if some have chosen LCD-2 or T1 for the way they present classical/jazz/acoustic music.

Well, I owned all 3 and I listened to acoustic music with them. Also, I amplified them properly and had a high-end source.  First, any of the three will sound good. The HD-800 is not bass-light when amplified properly. It presents bass naturally. It sounds musical, if you define musical as what's on the recording as opposed to headphones that add colorations. In my opinion, and I have owned/heard every high end headphone except the orpheus and qualia, the HD-800 is not dry, sterile, or anything else like that. It's a great headphone and sounds natural. The transient response is not as good as orthos or stats, and the sound is less "clean" than the best of those technologies, but for a dynamic headphone it's at the top of the heap. I really can't find any faults with it so far. It is quite well-balanced. The LCD-2 has the best bass of any headphone, but it is a bit over-emphasized. That doesn't mean it overpowers the mids, but it's just a bit louder than it would be in real life. However, it is very impactful and tuneful. The LCD-2 has an un-natural reverb that takes away from natural tonality. On the flip side, it sounds very lush and warm, like a R10. However, it still does most things right, and I really enjoyed owning it. I would pick the HD800 as having tonality closer to real life and a more balanced frequency response, which is why I bought it and sold the LCD-2. However, the LCD-2 kills any dynamic in attack, decay, and transient speed. It's amping requirements (quoted from Alex Rosson of Audeze) are at least 2 watts to bring out its full potential. The HD-800 and T1 can be driven by less powerful amplifiers, and there's lots of good advice about amping them on Head-Fi. Any of the 3 you will be happy with. They are all miles better than mid-fi headphones. Just comes down to personal preference at this level. The HD-800 and LCD-2 have the best measured performance I've ever seen from headphones, but their sound signatures are a bit different. However, saying the 800 is dry and sterile and the LCD2 is dark and bass heavy, as some have, is over-simplifying things. They are both very good headphones. Regarding amps, the cost will be about the same for both headphones, as long as you pick the right amps. The Violectric V100 is $800 and a perfect match for all 3 (I own it). The forthcoming Schitt Lyr is $450 and will power the LCD-2 very well. Many people have used the Meier Concerto, SPL Auditor, and Headamp GS-1 to good results with the HD-800, and those are all under $1000. The Beta22 would be ideal, but it is quite a bit more expensive. Hope this helps.

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #32 of 98
You guys have convinced me to get HD800 before HE-6 or LCD-2.  
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #34 of 98
I'm glad I came across this thread.  I'm currently running HD-650's and a number of IEMs.  I actually really like the upper-frequency presentation of the 650s (not too dull or recessed to my ears), but I'm looking to complement them by going the next step up in quality.  I'm on the pre-order list for LCD-2's, but am now about 60-40 between the LCD-2's and HD-800's. 

My listening is 30% classical (I teach upper-level chamber music & orchestra for a living), 30% jazz (everything from 1945-1975), and 40% rock (classic Prog rock: ELP, Yes, Crimson, Genesis, plus Dylan, Zep, Deep Purple, The Who, Stones, U2, Radiohead, jam bands, etc).  I've got an Audio-GD FUN Version A on the way, and I listen to SACD, DVD-A, CD, and 24/96 and 24/192 downloads.

If I get the LCD-2's, are they too close in signature to the HD-650's?  Would I be better off getting the HD-800's as a complement to the 650's?  And is my FUN going to have enough of an amp?  I know the best solution is to have both the LCD-2's and HD-800's.

Rock, paper, scissors anyone?
HD-650 + HD-800?
HD-650 + LCD-2?
HD-800+LCD-2

Or all three:  HD-650 + HD-800 + LCD-2? (expensive but possible down the line, though I don't have a lot of $$ to go in search of the Grail.)

Thanks to everyone for their input!
g2k

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #35 of 98
The FUN is capable of 1.8 watt into 50-Ohm (LCD-2's impedance), so you should be fine.

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #37 of 98
I also agree (but my experience doesn't involve the T1, or Qualia or R10). I also think it is better than the LCD-2. However, I think think the lambda models I have heard have all been better than the HD800 overall. I actually preferred the lambda sig to the Omega 2, but admittedly it wasn't plugged into one of the amps everyone raves about.

The HD800 is actually the only Sennheiser I've heard that I enjoy :p

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #38 of 98

Quote:
Well, I owned all 3 and I listened to acoustic music with them. Also, I amplified them properly and had a high-end source.  First, any of the three will sound good. The HD-800 is not bass-light when amplified properly. It presents bass naturally. It sounds musical, if you define musical as what's on the recording as opposed to headphones that add colorations. In my opinion, and I have owned/heard every high end headphone except the orpheus and qualia, the HD-800 is not dry, sterile, or anything else like that. It's a great headphone and sounds natural.

Thanks tvrboy.  I decided to get the HD-800 and have started to see if I could get one for less than $1400.

In the meantime, I read a review by a Canadian photographer (he has a photography enthusiast site) where he compared K701 and HD 800.  He thought the K701 and HD 800 were a lot alike, K701 had a wider soundstage, but HD 800 better overall.  Maybe he didn't have adequate upstream components.  Maybe his ears weren't experienced enough.  But then I spoke to a salesperson at <respected headphone outlet> and he agreed that HD 800 was not that much better than K701.  So, is the HD 800 really a big jump in sound quality over the K701???

For now I'm assuming it is a worthwhile improvement (man it's a lot of money).

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #39 of 98

Quote:
I also agree (but my experience doesn't involve the T1, or Qualia or R10). I also think it is better than the LCD-2. However, I think think the lambda models I have heard have all been better than the HD800 overall. I actually preferred the lambda sig to the Omega 2, but admittedly it wasn't plugged into one of the amps everyone raves about.

The HD800 is actually the only Sennheiser I've heard that I enjoy :p

Just so you know, we weren't referring to the Omega2, but to the original SR-Omega.

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #41 of 98

Quote:
Quote:
Just so you know, we weren't referring to the Omega2, but to the original SR-Omega.

I know, but I haven't heard it. I just assumed you prefered the O2 as well

No, the O2 sounds very different.  A very good analogy would be the HD800 is to the SR-Omega as the LCD-2 is to the Omega2 (mk.1).

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #43 of 98
We heard it in the same place, and that Omega with the Blue Hawaiian and that CD player (?) of Golden Ears was one of the best combos i have ever heard anywhere at any meet including Canjam 09.  

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #44 of 98
I agree! Milos had quite the setup. The original Omega made all the other high end headphones sound like mid-fi headphones. It's hard to listen to anything else after you've heard that combo.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #45 of 98

Quote:
I agree! Milos had quite the setup. The original Omega made all the other high end headphones sound like mid-fi headphones. It's hard to listen to anything else after you've heard that combo.

I have a feeling it would sound ever better with a KGSSHV.  Of course I like SS more than tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back