Will I ever get accustomed to Grado Sr325i?
Nov 26, 2008 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Galesden

100+ Head-Fier
I bought the sr325i a few days ago and i really enjoy the sound. But after about 2 maybe 3 hours of use i have to take a break. The pads are fine, i actually find them kinda of comfy, but after a few hours of listening to music my ears start to hurt and i get a tiny bit of a headache that goes away in a few minutes. I dont listen to my music blaring, its about medium volume. I was wondering will this go away eventually, will i become accustomed to the 325 and not have this problem and be able to listen to my music for long amounts of time?
Answers greatly appreciated.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the sr325i a few days ago and i really enjoy the sound. But after about 2 maybe 3 hours of use i have to take a break. The pads are fine, i actually find them kinda of comfy, but after a few hours of listening to music my ears start to hurt and i get a tiny bit of a headache that goes away in a few minutes. I dont listen to my music blaring, its about medium volume. I was wondering will this go away eventually, will i become accustomed to the 325 and not have this problem and be able to listen to my music for long amounts of time?
Answers greatly appreciated.

This complaint is not all that uncommon. And I've read that Grados generally are not meant for extended listening. After having owned the SR80, I can believe that. There was a similar thread about this recently regarding a Grado. Changing your source and/or amp to something that is more synergistic for you can alleviate this, possibly to the point of this no longer being a problem. This is the #1 reason why I have not bought another Grado and specifically the SR325i. That said, I think with the right equipment, the SR325i really can be enjoyed and without listening fatigue / discomfort. The question that will help others advise you better: what equipment are you using with your SR325i?

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 33
When I first bought my 325i's I had to take a break every so often because my ears starting ringing from the highs. I've had them for about 2 months now and don't have that problem anymore. I'm not sure if I just got used to the 325i's or if they mellowed out a little. Just my personal experience.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 33
You are experiencing the Grado earneedle. Some tube amps can help soften the highs. Though you might want to think about something like the Beyerdynamic DT880 - same forward signature and detail, but less piercing.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 33
The 325i produce a lot of simblance. My ears can't take them for long either, but I do enjoy them in small doses with the right kinds of music.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 325i produce a lot of simblance. My ears can't take them for long either, but I do enjoy them in small doses with the right kinds of music.

certainly not one-and-only type of can for me, for sure. Interesting alternative, but very tiring after an hour.

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #9 of 33
^ 325i made me listen for an hour and take an 8 hour break...
frown.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with taking a break after 2 hours of listening anyway? I can never understand why some people feel the need to listen to 5 hours of music without taking a break.

A better question... what's wrong with headphones and its associated equipment that would force a break after only an hour or two?

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #11 of 33
with my SR-225's, it really depends on what I'm listening to, and how loud, although 3-4 hours of listening (cut short by lack of time to stay listening) is possible with no issues (although my HD-580's are far better for >8 hours of listening/gaming)

I use the CI Audio VHP1 amp, and mostly use the SR-225's for rock/jazz/similar, it doesn't get piercing or anything to that matter, although for the first few days I had them it was unbearable for >30 minutes

30 hours of burn-in seemed to back them down a little, and learning how to position the pads right on my ears helped a lot (just where to position them for ear comfort + driver placement, really makes them better to listen to)

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 33
One reason why many (most?) peeps own more than ONE set of cans, is the ability to change to another set if one set starts getting uncomfortable -- changing to another can during listening sessions can relieve "pressure points" or whatever from a particular can, and you feel refreshed again.

Simply because
1 -- you have taken a few minutes' break to change cans,
2 -- the new cans fit differently, and you can feel like it's a new listening session.

I rarely get more than 1-2 hours of un-interrputed listening, but the rare times that I do, this changing cans works for me.

Heck, sometimes after just 5 minutes of listening, I decide I want "can X" instead of what I have on, and switch then.

Some cans are *perfect* for certain music, and sometimes other cans are better for other music.

Multiple cans takes care of the comfort issue, too, of course.

I never use Grados for long sessions, myself, but I always have a pair around for when I'm in the mood for them.
They are great for hearing/understanding dialogue in movies!

L3000.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A better question... what's wrong with headphones and its associated equipment that would force a break after only an hour or two?

It's about options availability. To use an analogy of reading, it is not recommended that one read a book more than an hour or two. However, if one is so engrossed with it one could definitely read a book non-stop or finish it in one-sitting. The book should not restrict the options of the reader into just one or two hours of reading.

I have no experience with grados, and am really spoilt with the comfort of the Beyers, so much so that I could usually sit through one opera piece (which lasted more than 3 hours) in one sitting. I wonder could I finish those if there were indeed fatigue from wearing a headphone.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by smashing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's about options availability. To use an analogy of reading, it is not recommended that one read a book more than an hour or two. However, if one is so engrossed with it one could definitely read a book non-stop or finish it in one-sitting. The book should not restrict the options of the reader into just one or two hours of reading.

Right, options availability. Some headphones are comfortable enough and don't cause listening fatigue / pain such that the additional option of enjoying longer listening sessions is available. And FWIR that's more often not the case with Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back