Will any amp do well with M50s?
Sep 14, 2011 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Player1josh46

100+ Head-Fier
I want to get an amp for them to get a cleaner and overall better sound but I hear that it isn't gonna do anything. Is there one, like the Fiio ones, that make a difference at least? $100 or less is preferable. Must be portable as well.

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 11
FiiO E7, or you could poke around ebay and find yourself a CMOY. Got mine there for around 30 bucks, sounds great.

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 11
Heya,

Spending $100 on an amp to make a $150 headphone sound better would have better been a $250 better headphone in general. That said, the M50 will not gain hardly any increase in actual quality that is appreciable from an amp. It doesn't require it, it will get louder, and then about maybe less than 1% actual change in capability due to increased voltage swing perhaps. Other than that, no, it will not improve in some way that makes $100, or even $20, worth it.

If you want a cleaner sound, or overall better sound, you simply need a different headphone.

Very best,

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 11
Sep 14, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Yes you've heard right,it's not gonna make them sound cleaner...
If you feel that the sound is kind of muddy or veiled then do the following mod by peeling off the foam..
It did the trick for me...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/551679/how-to-make-m50-s-mid-less-recessed-increase-soundstage-56k
If you still want an amp then a Fiio E7 can also boost the bass if you like and you can use it as a DAC.

Did that mod. I really just want an amp that will allow me to reduce simbilance when listening at a higher volume. is there a way to do it?

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Heya,

Spending $100 on an amp to make a $150 headphone sound better would have better been a $250 better headphone in general. That said, the M50 will not gain hardly any increase in actual quality that is appreciable from an amp. It doesn't require it, it will get louder, and then about maybe less than 1% actual change in capability due to increased voltage swing perhaps. Other than that, no, it will not improve in some way that makes $100, or even $20, worth it.

If you want a cleaner sound, or overall better sound, you simply need a different headphone.

Very best,

THIS.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Getting an amp for the M50 is totally worth it IMO. The bass is a lot better controlled. It will also be a good investment since once you get addicted to this hobby you can use it with all your other headphones too.
Now of course the difference between the M50 going from amp and unamped isn't going to be huge. It also depends on source.

If you use a Sansa Clip or Shuffle, then of course an amp will be a even larger benefit and not just in volume.
I suggest getting a cheap amp and trying it out with your own ears. If you hear no difference, then just return it or sell it.
I personally hear a difference with amps on the M50, but they're minor differences.

The $64 E11 would be a good place to start. I personally use amps with every headphone.

For most, the benefits may not be worth it, but to me they are.

Sure the sibilance isn't just in the recording itself? A LOT of my recordings have a ton of it and it's not my headphones fault.
It's easy to blame it on the headphone, when it's just a crappy recording.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 11
Get the E7, and save for the E9. Sell the M50's and upgrade them after. 
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Did that mod. I really just want an amp that will allow me to reduce simbilance when listening at a higher volume. is there a way to do it?

Maybe you're getting sibilance because you did that mod.  Removing material from the front of the driver may seem like a good idea, but that foam was put there for a reason, and removing it will give you more treble, which might give you a sense of greater clarity, but more treble can create or enhance sibilance, because sibilance comes from excessive amounts of treble. 

An amp isn't going to make a headphone less sibilant unless the amp is colored, or unless your amp is really crappy, which isn't the case here because even the ipod is good enough for the M50 which is easy to drive.  Sibilance is usually headphone related, not amp/source related.

So my suggestion would be to reverse that mod, put the foam back.  If that doesn't remove the sibilance, get a different headphone with less treble.  Maybe the SRH840. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back