Will an amplifier improve sound quality at low volume?
Jun 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KennyStarr

New Head-Fier
Hi
I have a pair of Sennheiser MX880 which I use at work. I do find the sound quality somewhat lacking, compared to my Beyer DT880's, so I was considering upgrading to a pair of MX980 (thread about that here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/614512/why-do-small-headphones-sound-bad#post_8469241)

But would a amplifier like the Fiio-E10 improve sound quality from the MX980's significantly at low volume? From what I can read, the MX980 is an improvement over the MX880, but probably not a HUGE improvement, so I might not find the difference to be night and day (which is really what I'm looking for)

I tried a Audio-GD NFB12 with the Beyers on my laptop once, but was honestly not able to tell any difference, even though they are 600 ohms and should benefit from the amplification.

My laptop suffers from noise on the headphone output, so I would dampen the MX980's with the volume knob.

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 5
To answer your question... yes.  To offer you actual usable advice... buy an IEM and ditch the buds.

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
To answer your question... yes.  To offer you actual usable advice... buy an IEM and ditch the buds.

Ok, why? I can't use IE's since they isolate the background noise too much.

Is the effect of an amplifier greater on small headphones, since for me there wasn't any with my large ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back