WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Dec 21, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #271 of 789
So basically just switching out a higher amp wall wort would improve sound quality? I have it plugged into Furman PST-8 but have a ton of wall wort laying around. Of does it need to be a separate battery pack to see improvement?

Introducing higher amps to the Pro or Mini is not necessarily what is needed, but more about getting clean, low ripple & regulated DC power going into the pro. The problem is that these cheap switching power supplies are very susceptible to introducing dirty and unregulated power to the Pro.
"Switching power supplies are the entry point of external noise from other systems and also the exit point for releasing noise to the load (e.g., IC circuits). The switching power supply itself is also a source of noise. This noise does not only flow through power supply lines as conducted noise but also becomes radiated noise (harmful electromagnetic radiation)—which adversely affects itself and other electronic equipment."

It's best to use is a highly regulated linear AC-DC power supply feeding super clean and rock stable DC juice to the Pro or any other audio components requiring DC power, like most science equipment, research, aerospace and measuring components use LPS's. The problem is that they're expensive, big in size (physically) and inefficient (electricity-wise), A non-audiophile Acopian Gold "series A" LPS are excellent (very low Ripple mV RMS: 0.25) but need some finish work for home environment use.
I can confirm using a good battery source dramatically improves my usb reclocker SQ but also found the cheap 5v usb cell phone battery back-up packs on amazon do not, they were noisy due to the cheap & anemic electronic regulator & charging components inside them, So mileage may vary on what you use,

Personally, I can not yet confirm or know if the Wiim Pro or Mini will have a noticeable SQ improvement or Not when using a better PS than the stock one. But as quoted above, the typical cheaply made china $2-ish SMPS (wall wart) power supplies that are included in a lot of audio components can really effect SQ and performance of the component. That's what's so great about the DIY Audio DC filter kit (DIY Store & thread), it can be a cheap solution, it's small, it's efficient and cleans up to stabilize and helps filter out noise or dirty juice coming out of your wall wart before going into the component (Wiim). DC juice with Ripple is not your friend and you want get rid as much ripple as possible. A highly regulated, low ripple, properly filtered stage will also most likely help reduce any jitter being produced in the Wiim and help the components inside the Wiim work at max potential of their design and help keep them from puttering.

It's like giving your car high quality, high octane gas.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #272 of 789
Just wanted to update about the static noise I was experiencing. My setup is WiiM --> optical/coax --> r2r-11mk2.

It seems to be happening primarily with 44.1khz files. It occurs when changing tracks to 44.1khz, pausing/playing, or seeking through the track. I don't think it's happening on 48 or 96khz files, whether through Amazon Music or FLAC via UPNP. I've not yet set up my other stack (JDS El Stack II) to see if it's any better.

I submitted a ticket to WiiM so we'll see what they say.

I'm also trying to see if there's a way to use a dedicated IP address when using WiiM Pro's ethernet connection. If anyone knows a way, please let me know! <3

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #275 of 789
BTW how's the R28? I regret not getting that instead of the r2r-11mk2, wondering how much better it gets. =P

But on to first impressions, WiiM Pro sounds pretty good. FWIW, using the provided power supply, sound felt a touch thin and small (but otherwise quite good), but swapping to a 5v/3a LPS seemed to yield a fuller, richer, and maybe a little more "dynamic" sound. WiiM sounds clearer with a sense of better definition than going through my computer.

Will need to mess around with things a bit more to get ethernet to work properly.
What lps are you using? I have topping p50 but only 5v 1A need more amp.

Dec 25, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #276 of 789
71C6F516-08AB-44B0-8D78-3CC9A5FBA1CE.jpeg

ho ho ho

Dec 25, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #277 of 789
What lps are you using? I have topping p50 but only 5v 1A need more amp.
Just a random chifi one (think it's 5v/3.x, with a bingzi transformer or something). FWIW, I started using the provided power supply again after a few days and don't necessarily find myself preferring the LPS over it. While LPS does sound a little more full, it also feels noisier. But there's something going on in my system atm and experiencing some noise even when connected to some other sources, so I'll have to revisit this.

Dec 26, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #278 of 789
Well… I got a Wiim mini as a Christmas present and so far I’m loving it. I’m using it with Spotify connect over Wi-Fi to my hifi system and it’s great. I also have a head-fi setup of a pair of Seinheiser HD560s’ hooked up to a Ifi Zen dac/amp v2 but it looks as if it won’t connect to that unfortunately so I may have to change my dac/amp which is a shame cause it works really well with the 560s’!
Unless, anyone has any ways round this or suggestions for a replacement around the £160 GBP mark? Loved reading through this thread btw, very informative and entertaining!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #279 of 789
Over Christmas I have had the chance to compare listening to my Mojo 2 using headphones (rather than connected to the hifi) sourced by (1) the usual iPhone/camera adapter and (2) the WiiM Mini powered by a power bank making it - almost - portable. Both streaming Amazon Music. I wanted to know if I could detect a difference between using the AM app directly from the iPhone (which we know upscales everything) to using the app to cast to the WiiM with a fixed output to the Mojo 2. Well, I can safely say the SQ difference was pretty obvious to me, with the WiiM setup being superior in so many aspects. I have not tried comparing power bank with mains power (I am not sure I want to get into the LPS debate) but I suspect the WiiM is simply a much cleaner source than using a phone, in a similar way to many people preferring a Poly partnering their Mojo.

Dec 28, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #281 of 789
Correct me if I’m wrong… but I do not think the WiiM streamers have a USB out. It would be nice to have it.
I agree. While I do understand why they added the analog inputs -- and included a so-so DAC, for that matter -- I wish they had made it a pure streamer with digital inputs and outputs only, including USB.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #283 of 789
I agree. While I do understand why they added the analog inputs -- and included a so-so DAC, for that matter -- I wish they had made it a pure streamer with digital inputs and outputs only, including USB.

I imagine there are more people that will use this with an older receivers that do not have a digital connection than there is people with separate Dac’s and Amps.
Of course adding a usb output would be great. It does at least have a Spdif input. I‘ll will ask wiim if adding a usb output in a future model might be a possibility.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #284 of 789
Just wanted to update about the static noise I was experiencing. My setup is WiiM --> optical/coax --> r2r-11mk2.

It seems to be happening primarily with 44.1khz files. It occurs when changing tracks to 44.1khz, pausing/playing, or seeking through the track. I don't think it's happening on 48 or 96khz files, whether through Amazon Music or FLAC via UPNP. I've not yet set up my other stack (JDS El Stack II) to see if it's any better.

I submitted a ticket to WiiM so we'll see what they say.

I'm also trying to see if there's a way to use a dedicated IP address when using WiiM Pro's ethernet connection. If anyone knows a way, please let me know! <3
As former owner of R2R11 (first version), popping sounds when changing sampling rates has long been an issue with earlier Audio GD R2R dacs. Can this possibly be an issue with the DAC and not WiiM?

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #285 of 789
As former owner of R2R11 (first version), popping sounds when changing sampling rates has long been an issue with earlier Audio GD R2R dacs. Can this possibly be an issue with the DAC and not WiiM?
It's not a popping issue (I have heard that, but quite rarely), but a very nasty static noise. It also happens on my El Dac II. =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back