WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #241 of 804
Interesting. It would be instructive to test this in lab conditions with Primare or WiiM endpoints. I recall someone who set up Chromecasting based on Google's documentation as well as other data. Not a big deal for me, however, since I think potentially Apple or Amazon may be the better strategic choices than Qobuz -- or Spotify, if they figure out how to stream CD-or-higher quality without reaming their customers -- even though I like the Qobuz's service quite a bit.

Separately, I wonder if you've done network traces on the Pro and whether any data from the microphone is sent outside your local network (e.g., to China or elsewhere). I plan to put my devices on an isolated VLAN and look at network activity very carefully -- and continue to do so, given that the devices will get firmware updates fairly frequently, which could change how they behave. Just wondering if any processing is done off-site.
I put any known foreign devices on a separate "guest" wi-fi network for isolation. No Tik Tok user here.!

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #242 of 804
I put any known foreign devices on a separate "guest" wi-fi network for isolation. No Tik Tok user here.!

Hmm actually, this raises an interesting point. I'll try running it through my computer's ethernet and using one of those Wireshark or traffic snooping software to see if there's anything funny going on under the hood.

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #243 of 804
Hmm actually, this raises an interesting point. I'll try running it through my computer's ethernet and using one of those Wireshark or traffic snooping software to see if there's anything funny going on under the hood.
If you do, please report back. I checked the log in the router and it shows nothing illicit that I can see. Even under load the tx/rx appears minimal. Maybe I'll load some additional software to check on it.

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #244 of 804

If you have a WiiM remote for testing, see where the bits go for processing when you use its voice command features. There's not a lot of detailed info available about its architecture or capabilities.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #245 of 804
If you have a WiiM remote for testing, see where the bits go for processing when you use its voice command features. There's not a lot of detailed info available about its architecture or capabilities.
The WiiM remote isn’t available yet afaik, plus I’d expect the voice part to be handled by Alexa or Google Assistant - they’re unlikely to be developing their own.

Dec 10, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #246 of 804
The WiiM remote isn’t available yet afaik, plus I’d expect the voice part to be handled by Alexa or Google Assistant - they’re unlikely to be developing their own.
Siri too. But if there's a mic on the remote, is WiiM making it capable somehow of supporting all of these services simultaneously? I know of a few households who have all three ecosystems running in their homes. Kind of messy, but potentially Matter will help reduce the messiness over time.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #247 of 804
Siri too. But if there's a mic on the remote, is WiiM making it capable somehow of supporting all of these services simultaneously? I know of a few households who have all three ecosystems running in their homes. Kind of messy, but potentially Matter will help reduce the messiness over time.
Siri, of course - do people still use that? :beyersmile:

Doesn’t Sonos already allow the use of multiple voice assistants on the fly? Either way, I don’t see WiiM developing their own voice assistant

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #249 of 804
Hello,

thinking of buying a wiim mini for my Ares II dac. Which toslink cable do you recommend? I would only have this combination for Tidal connect.

regards,
Simon
You might take a look at Hosa OPM-303 Here: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-OPM-303-Toslink-Fiber-Optic/dp/B000068OEC/ref=sr_1_1_mod_primary_new?crid=1SL8OJO4T63R9&keywords=toslink+cable&qid=1670766916&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sprefix=toslink,industrial,141&sr=8-1
Well reviewed, neither cheap Chinesium nor boutique pricy, Hosa has been supplying cables to the industry for many years.

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #250 of 804
Hello,

thinking of buying a wiim mini for my Ares II dac. Which toslink cable do you recommend? I would only have this combination for Tidal connect.

regards,
Simon
My understanding is the included toslink cable is pretty good and you might not need to spend money on an upgrade. Is there a reason you want use toslink over digital coax? I also have the Ares II and was planning on getting a digital coax since my understanding is there’s less jitter with coax.

I’m not sure on the advantage of one vs the other so if the better option in using toslink I’ll use the included cable.

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #251 of 804
My understanding is the included toslink cable is pretty good and you might not need to spend money on an upgrade. Is there a reason you want use toslink over digital coax? I also have the Ares II and was planning on getting a digital coax since my understanding is there’s less jitter with coax.

I’m not sure on the advantage of one vs the other so if the better option in using toslink I’ll use the included cable.
The optical cable included with the original WiiM worked perfectly, giving me 24/192 to my DAC. My only reason for wanting to use the digital coax out of the WiiM is that I have two other devices to hook up to my DAC, and they both have optical outputs, so I'll plug one into the WiiM Pro and one into the optical input on my DAC, bingo.

Dec 11, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #252 of 804

Yes the supplied toslink cable is more than adequate in my experience. One may want better materials or looks it does the basic job perfectly.

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #253 of 804

I was talking about the wiim mini (not the Pro). That's why I mentioned the optical connection.

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #254 of 804
I was talking about the wiim mini (not the Pro). That's why I mentioned the optical connection.
For me personally, toslink is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back