WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Dec 17, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #256 of 804
My WIIM Pro(s) finally shipped, looks like they should be here Monday. I won't be able to give my impressions until after the 29th though as I leave Tuesday to hang with family for Christmas in PA. Hopefully someone else will have posted up by then.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #257 of 804
My WIIM Pro(s) finally shipped, looks like they should be here Monday. I won't be able to give my impressions until after the 29th though as I leave Tuesday to hang with family for Christmas in PA. Hopefully someone else will have posted up by then.
Send it my way, I'll look after it while you neglect your new toy. :yum:

Now I'm going to be refreshing my Amazon order page every hour to see if mine ships.

Dec 20, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #260 of 804
Looks like on Amazon, if you order today, they'll deliver it tomorrow Thurs, Dec. 21.
BTW how's the R28? I regret not getting that instead of the r2r-11mk2, wondering how much better it gets. =P

But on to first impressions, WiiM Pro sounds pretty good. FWIW, using the provided power supply, sound felt a touch thin and small (but otherwise quite good), but swapping to a 5v/3a LPS seemed to yield a fuller, richer, and maybe a little more "dynamic" sound. WiiM sounds clearer with a sense of better definition than going through my computer.

Will need to mess around with things a bit more to get ethernet to work properly.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #261 of 804
BTW how's the R28? I regret not getting that instead of the r2r-11mk2, wondering how much better it gets. =P

But on to first impressions, WiiM Pro sounds pretty good. FWIW, using the provided power supply, sound felt a touch thin and small (but otherwise quite good), but swapping to a 5v/3a LPS seemed to yield a fuller, richer, and maybe a little more "dynamic" sound. WiiM sounds clearer with a sense of better definition than going through my computer.

Will need to mess around with things a bit more to get ethernet to work properly.
KU1185,

The Audio-GD R28 (R2R DAC-analog preamp) has been sounding great, very happy with it and anything I've recently put against it gives me zero reason for wanting something else; except for the Aqua La Scala but that needs a preamp & more $$$. I can confirm it does sound better (in my system) than the top of the line Burson Conductor 3X GT, and the Burson Conductor 3X Reference and the RME ADI-2 DAC (non-pro). Audio-GD just sounds better, bigger and fuller sound, darker background and more musical than the others, definitely more even from top to bottom.

Thanks for the PS tip for the Wiim Pro, that's good info. I too have found big SQ improvements in other components when replacing or upgrading the cheap switching power supply wall wart, wasn't sure if it mattered with the Wiim. I think I have a Keces 5V linear power supply laying around and a very cool Dick Sequerra Power Station- PS1 (linear power & battery power) that I restored & modified with a new 12ah battery and updated cables, I think that could work really well for the Wiim.

It will be interesting to hear from others if you hear any improvements in the Wiim SQ (Maybe, Maybe not) with any tweaks or improved PS?
I have a Wyred4Sound USB reclocker powered by a Li-ion battery pack and that makes a massive difference, it's a night & day SQ improvement, there's no contest between the two and battery makes it worth the hassle, best tweak ever and threw its wall wart in the trash after comparing.

You guys might also want to check this cool and inexpensive PS mod kit on DIY Audio (50 page thread) for really improving/cleaning up the noisy power coming out a cheap DC wall wart. This looks like a perfect mod/kit to use on the Wiim Pro's wall wart. Just requires some very basic soldering skills to do and it's very cheap to do and even Nelson Pass gave it a thumbs up.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...all-warts-preamps-hpa-korg-nutube-etc.354213/

My Wiim Pro will be used with the digital out to Audio-GD R28 via coax, will also try the RJ45 network input from a UpTone EtherREGEN or maybe wifi is better? We shall see.

Very much looking forward to hearing from others on any improvements (or not) when playing around with there Wiim Pro?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #264 of 804
KU1185,

The Audio-GD R28 (R2R DAC-analog preamp) has been sounding great, very happy with it and anything I've recently put against it gives me zero reason for wanting something else; except for the Aqua La Scala but that needs a preamp & more $$$. I can confirm it does sound better (in my system) than the top of the line Burson Conductor 3X GT, and the Burson Conductor 3X Reference and the RME ADI-2 DAC (non-pro). Audio-GD just sounds better, bigger and fuller sound, darker background and more musical than the others, definitely more even from top to bottom.

Thanks for the PS tip for the Wiim Pro, that's good info. I too have found big SQ improvements in other components when replacing or upgrading the cheap switching power supply wall wart, wasn't sure if it mattered with the Wiim. I think I have a Keces 5V linear power supply laying around and a very cool Dick Sequerra Power Station- PS1 (linear power & battery power) that I restored & modified with a new 12ah battery and updated cables, I think that could work really well for the Wiim.

It will be interesting to hear from others if you hear any improvements in the Wiim SQ (Maybe, Maybe not) with any tweaks or improved PS?
I have a Wyred4Sound USB reclocker powered by a Li-ion battery pack and that makes a massive difference, it's a night & day SQ improvement, there's no contest between the two and battery makes it worth the hassle, best tweak ever and threw its wall wart in the trash after comparing.

You guys might also want to check this cool and inexpensive PS mod kit on DIY Audio (50 page thread) for really improving/cleaning up the noisy power coming out a cheap DC wall wart. This looks like a perfect mod/kit to use on the Wiim Pro's wall wart. Just requires some very basic soldering skills to do and it's very cheap to do and even Nelson Pass gave it a thumbs up.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...all-warts-preamps-hpa-korg-nutube-etc.354213/

My Wiim Pro will be used with the digital out to Audio-GD R28 via coax, will also try the RJ45 network input from a UpTone EtherREGEN or maybe wifi is better? We shall see.

Very much looking forward to hearing from others on any improvements (or not) when playing around with there Wiim Pro?

I'm very much enjoying the r2r-11mk2. I prefer the r2r-11mk2's presentation of music over that of Ares II, BF2, D1se, etc., so much so that I wish I'd gotten the R28 or something (if only it wasn't so damn big! lol). Feel like I now have the mildest case of upgraditis since getting this dac/amp.

WiiM has been quite good so far. Initially used the provided PSU and thought it sounded a little bit on the thin, small, and "weak" side. I switched to a LPS I had for the Pi4b and thought it sounded a bit fuller and richer, perhaps more dynamic sounding. I thought it sounded good but wasn't really blown away by it; that is, until I came back to it in the evening. I had a highly enjoyable listening experience.

I've noticed some quirks though. Whether using Amazon Music or UPnP, there is this very annoying static noise when changing tracks. Doesn't happen every time, but most times. Occasionally, I'll just get a quiet pop or no noticeable sound at all. Not quite sure what's causing it since it seems to occur when switching tracks with same bit depth/sample rate, sometimes it doesn't happen. Will have to look into it further, but might actually be a dealbreaker for me if I'm not able to find a solution.

Haven't had a chance to use WiiM's ethernet port yet. Having some issues though it's not WiiM's fault (I need to assign it a static IP, but don't know access the ethernet settings on the WiiM).

EDIT: I'd also note that I always thought Amazon Music sounded worse than using local FLAC files or things like Qobuz (no longer have a subscription). But through the WiiM, I think it sounds fantastic. I'm not noticing that slight tizziness I've previously associated with the Amazon Music.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #265 of 804
Frustratingly Wiim Pro still not available for sale in the UK, unless I've missed something. I have the mini but the coax out on the pro would unlock my DAC's full potential. keen to see what the UK price is so I can decide if the upgrade is worth it.

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #266 of 804
Derivative,

I had earlier in this thread posted a completely wrong assertion and doubt of wiims delivery schedule. I was wrong.
So far they’ve been hitting all of their posted delivery schedules on time and it’s probably just a matter of time due to the extra distance getting to you, ours was probably being delivered to the Amazon warehouses while yours was still going through the Panama canal. I wouldn’t be surprised if you you’ll start seeing them soon in the UK.
i’m going to guess 150-175 pounds. But then again, I’ve been known to be wrong.

To everyone, please post your pictures of your new Pro in set up, it’ll be cool to see an actual real Pro out in the wild.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #267 of 804
Can you try Tidal Connect?
Sorry, I only stream Amazon Music Unlimited and radio stations, and that's working perfectly using the WiiM app. No gaps and no static between songs. I'm not sure I understand how changing the power supply can influence the sound, but then again, there's a LOT I don't know : )

Dec 21, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #268 of 804
Sorry, I only stream Amazon Music Unlimited and radio stations, and that's working perfectly using the WiiM app. No gaps and no static between songs. I'm not sure I understand how changing the power supply can influence the sound, but then again, there's a LOT I don't know : )
Yeah I don't know either. I suspect it has to do with slight variations in the voltage output or something, but idunno. Easy little test is to grab a bunch of wall chargers and powerbanks you have laying around and see if you notice anything. I noticed biggest difference with two of the "quick charge" type of wall chargers I had laying around (not on the WiiM but with the Pi).

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #269 of 804
KU1185,

So basically just switching out a higher amp wall wort would improve sound quality? I have it plugged into Furman PST-8 but have a ton of wall wort laying around. Of does it need to be a separate battery pack to see improvement?

Some early observations, my routers is too far away from WiiM Pro to use wired connection so using wifi and so far no issues with losing signal. Consider routers in basement and using on 2nd-floor bedroom the distance is least 60 feet from router so range is excellent on wifi.

Well using Tidal connect been using the MQA core decoder beta in settings the 24/96 output overall sounds good. I would suggest checking the output under coax since it set at a lower output from the factory.

Played around with the WiiM app it‘s kinda basic but allows the use of them equalizer. I wonder though if using the WiiM dac or my external dac well using EQ, I haven’t found a setting that turns off the internal dac so need to play around with it more. Might be whenever it’s using the coax or optical it outputs bit perfect? Or if only bit perfect with tidal connect? Hopefully will have time later this evening to play around more with it.

On clicking issue btw tracks try lower the Line out Level to 1 Vrms instead of 2 and see if that helps. Also setting coax from 24/192 to 24/96 along with using MQA core decoder beta setting.

Let me know if can answer any other questions with the WiiM Pro.

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #270 of 804
Derivative,

I had earlier in this thread posted a completely wrong assertion and doubt of wiims delivery schedule. I was wrong.
So far they’ve been hitting all of their posted delivery schedules on time and it’s probably just a matter of time due to the extra distance getting to you, ours was probably being delivered to the Amazon warehouses while yours was still going through the Panama canal. I wouldn’t be surprised if you you’ll start seeing them soon in the UK.
i’m going to guess 150-175 pounds. But then again, I’ve been known to be wrong.

To everyone, please post your pictures of your pro in set up, it’ll be cool to see an actual real Pro out in the wild.
Cheers, and agreed I'm certain they're on the way. Interesting to see supply chains playout in (semi) real time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back