Wierd sound in left cub of DT-770pro
Jan 3, 2008 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ttvetjanu

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a wierd crackling sound in the left side of my dt-770pro headphones. I still have a warranty on the headphones but i'd prefer if it was something I could fix myself. I recognize this sound before from when a) I have too much volume/bass b) I have a hair or similar on the drivers in my grado sr-80's, blowing on the driver helps this. The problem is only audible at higher-than-normal bass volumes/quantities, but being able to sometimes boost the volume up on high-bassed songs is a must for me, this is why i bought the DT-770's in the first place
basshead.gif

The sound is not loud, but it is very annoying.

Is it possible that I have broken the driver by playing at bass volumes that the headphones were not meant to play? (I instantly stop when i hear crackling, i.e. when the bass stops holding)

If there was a hair or something similar which is causing this, how do I remove it?

Have you experienced something similar to this (in any headphone?), if so, what did you do?

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 14
It could easily be a hair.

You'll need a lint roller, or a roll of blue painter's tape, or something similar.

It'll help to pull the earpad off. To do this you pretty much slide a finger under the earpad from the inside and pull it away from the headphone.

Run your sticky surfaced whatever over the black foam that covers the driver several times and see what you pull out, then check to see if you've solved the problem.

If you haven't, you'll have to take off the retaining ring that holds in the foam disc and the driver assembly.

To get the retaining ring off, you'll need something like a miniature flat-head screwdriver. You'll notice that there are slots around the retaining ring where you can slide in the edge of a tool. Gently pry up the edge of the ring at one of these slots just until it's lifted a couple millimeters, and then pry up the ring at the next slot. Repeat as needed, and the ring will come out with no drama. If you try to hard to force it out, you run the risk of perforating the baffle paper.

Anyway, once the ring comes off, the foam disc comes out with it. Go over the other side of it with your sticky tape or whatever, and do the same to the paper over the face of the driver.

If THAT doesn't do it, come back for more instructions.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 14
i followed eric's advice before when i had the same prob with the dt990s, and it worked. excellent post, just follow what he outlined carefully.

also, just to be sure it's not your source/amp, do you use an eq or bass boost? this could be your amp/source clipping (but it's most likely a hair in the driver)

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 14
Hi!
I seem to have encountered the same problem. I have inspected the driver paper membrane and removed all hair, but the problems persists.
There might be something inside the driver already... advice?
Thanks

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 14
Same problem here... as I bought the cans used. I am afraid that the driver were abused.

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 14
Some updates.... I had tried removing hair on both driver foams and did not help.

Also I tried using the phones with exchanged foams(from one side to another) and also with no foams whatsoever. The buzz, distorted sound when deep lows are playing persists. I am now very afraid that somehow the drivers were damaged by its last owner.

I wondered if anyone could still help with some good news that could give me hope on those ones instead of having to spend a lot of money in new drivers.

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 14
In the left earcup there's wire running through it to go to the other cup - maybe it's vibrating against something

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 14
Hmmm quite hard to believe.
i've tried pulling the cable a little bit but would not help. I am thinking of swapping driver sides, desoldering and soldering.

But the past owner said the headphones were almost new and might still be in warranty.

though I am in Brazil and very very far from the original dealer which sold him the phone.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 14
I too have the distortion sound from the left driver. I have done the advices from Ericj and cleaned the headphones from all visible hair. And I still hear the distorsion noice from the left driver.

I think I might know what may cause the distorsion noice. The driver paper membrane in the center of the left driver is a bit loose and seems to vibrate when bass notes i played. The driver paper membrane in my right driver is streched and seems to not be loose. Can this be the problem, and if so, how do I fix it? Glue?

Anyone?

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #11 of 14
I've got a pair of DT770 pro's that I bought a couple of months ago, and I recently noticed the left channel buzzing at frequencies below 100hz.

After reading a few comments on here I opened them up and there was indeed a hair sticking through the foam onto the paper membrane. I removed this and reassembled but the buzzing was still there.

After kacking myself for a couple of minutes thinking that the driver was damaged I just tried wacking the outside of the cups a couple of times and now the buzzing has gone.

Anyone still suffering from this try just giving a couple of firm taps to the cup it may sort it out.

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 14
Update, in retrospect I was talking rubbish.

I removed the foam and held the module up to the light and noticed two very fine hairs emerging from inside it, I pulled on them and they were actually eyebrows!! God knows how they managed to make it through the foam and then the paper membrane. If you have this buzzing try holding the membrane up to a light and looking across it, the exposed part of the hairs was very fine and hard to see, perhaps 80 percent inside the paper membrane by the time I got them. If they get all the way in I suppose you wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting them out.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #13 of 14
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I figured it would be of some help if I left my experience here for others that might be having this problem. I followed ericj's instructions and the rattling has stopped entirely from what I hear. The noise only used to happen at certain frequencies so if I end up hearing it again I'll report back.

At first I just took off the earpads and visually inspected the foams. I could clearly see a single hair sticking through the foam into the paper inside the left cup. I took it out and then lint rolled both foams. I wasn't having trouble with the right side, but I rolled it just for good measure. I was surprised at how much hair came off onto the roller. At least 3 or 4 strands that I couldn't see.

If this doesn't get rid of the rattle, I suggest popping the rings off to check the other side of the foams. Holding the foam up to a light source might help you spot any hairs. While the foams are off, look at the baffle paper and see if there's anything on them. I saw a small lint looking thing on one of them so I took it out.

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 14
I recently found after recommissioning my old DT-770s that hair had actually found its way all the way into the back of the driver. I had to completely disassemble the right side by removing some of the glue, carefully pulling out the driver, and even more carefully removing two small strands of hair that were stuck to the back of the driver, which is sticky and very thin. It's not difficult and should solve the annoying rattle if you've already removed all hair strands external to the driver. Just posting this for anyone that finds this thread though google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back