Wich are the best headphones under US$1000 for classical music?
Aug 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #46 of 52
Used hd800 or T1 is your best choice.

For the soundstage nothing really beat hd800
I have both T1and hd800

I always choice hd800 over t1 on classical music...
Also.. Hd800 has better comfort.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #48 of 52
I liked the EF5 when i had it...it can power the T1 ,,no issues...adds a little organic taste to the high clarity teslas.

but for classicals, my main fodder can is the hd600 with an upgraded cable...its v balanced to my ears.
if i get lucky again i would go for the MsPro, it just sound so lifelike.

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #49 of 52
I think the consensus is that an airy signature might be best for classical, but then again I'm not sure. I do have the T1 and the Q701 and I find myself switching back and forth between them. The T1 would be perfect if it had a much more airy presentation (like the HD800 and Q701) while keeping the balance of the bass, midrange and treble. The Q701 could really do with more bass especially when I'm listening to stuff with a lot of organ work and bass drums.

My recommendation is the Q701 for under $1000. Don't let the price tag fool you. If you have spare $, upgrade your source to get the maximum benefit.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #50 of 52
Quote:

Interesting you'd post that.  I have quite an array of headphones and I've been finding HE-400's darkness to be ideal for classical.  One question: Are you using velour or pleather pads?  If you're using the pleather, order some velours ASAP.  It's a world of difference like you wouldn't believe.

Most audiophiles feel bright=classical for some reason, and for the life of me I'll never understand why.  Anyone who's spent any time in the concert hall knows the sound of real seating in a real hall, especially up in the balconies (i.e. the most expesnive seats), is DARK.  The whole building is padded and carpeted and wood finished for exactly that reason, to make it dark and lush.  To me, HE-400 running on a hybrid tube amp sounds very much like the tonality a real concert hall has. 

You will not hear all the breathing of the players, the complete string sound and the air between instruments with them.  You will also not hear those things in the concert hall presuming you're not standing at the conductor's podium.  If you are standing at the conductor's podium, then take your six-figure-salary-making 1st class flying rear end and go buy some Stax SR009's and be done with it
tongue_smile.gif
  I will never understand the audiphile obsession with bright headphones for classical that sound nothing at all like sitting for a live performance sounds.   As a big classical buff I can say HE-400 and some nice warm tubes and the velour pads is as close to an authentic concert as your listening chair might sound.

Caveat: I'm also building an HE-6 rig at present which is indeed supposed to be more balanced, more detailed, and a bit brighter, but I'm counting on the overall HiFiMan real-life tonality to continue to be present with a different tonal balance. It's a departure from HE-400's darkness, certainly.  But it also won't be my every-day listening headphone but for something special and perhaps "better than real life"

Note that all this is my opinion and for some reason lots of audiophiles do like really bright headphones for classical,  And "better than life" can be a treat which is why I'm building my HE-6 system.  But HE-400 does have a remarkable lifelike feel to the real hall, IMHO.  Personally I prefer it for classical over HD650, D5000, K702, while preferring the others for rock and the like.  I'm split between HD650 and HE-400 for jazz, 50% of the time for each.

Thanks for posting that.  I've always felt that way about bright headphones and classical music, but just never got around to expressing it, nor had the chance to.  I currently use an LCD-2 to listen to all of my music and since I purchased it, I've been expanding my classical music collection much faster than I did when using my previous headphone, the K 702.

I enjoyed the K 702 when I had it and really liked the spacious presentation, but it wasn't very versatile (e.g., rock, lower-fi YouTube videos) and it didn't reflect reality, especially when it came to classical music.  Having gone to many classical music performances, the K 702 just felt overly bright and thin in comparison.  You put it best when you mentioned "better than real life".  In my experience, "darker" headphones are every bit as good with detail retrieval as brighter headphones (my LCD-2 certainly does a wonderful job in that regard), provided the comparisons are made among headphones of similar quality.  I find that brighter headphones tend to have overexaggerated detail due to an over-emphasis on certain higher frequencies, which results in a much more fatiguing listening experience.  Sure, it can be a treat sometimes, but I think it's important to remember that bright DOES NOT EQUAL classical, and at the end of the day when the time comes to open your wallet, your personal preference is the only thing that counts.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #51 of 52
Quote:

Thanks for posting that.  I've always felt that way about bright headphones and classical music, but just never got around to expressing it, nor had the chance to.  I currently use an LCD-2 to listen to all of my music and since I purchased it, I've been expanding my classical music collection much faster than I did when using my previous headphone, the K 702.

I enjoyed the K 702 when I had it and really liked the spacious presentation, but it wasn't very versatile (e.g., rock, lower-fi YouTube videos) and it didn't reflect reality, especially when it came to classical music.  Having gone to many classical music performances, the K 702 just felt overly bright and thin in comparison.  You put it best when you mentioned "better than real life".  In my experience, "darker" headphones are every bit as good with detail retrieval as brighter headphones (my LCD-2 certainly does a wonderful job in that regard), provided the comparisons are made among headphones of similar quality.  I find that brighter headphones tend to have overexaggerated detail due to an over-emphasis on certain higher frequencies, which results in a much more fatiguing listening experience.  Sure, it can be a treat sometimes, but I think it's important to remember that bright DOES NOT EQUAL classical, and at the end of the day when the time comes to open your wallet, your personal preference is the only thing that counts.

Have to agree aswell, been doing quite a bit of classical with my new LCD2's (originally got them for jazz), detail retrieval is surprisingly very good with orchestral music. A very open, deep soundstage and the orchestra doesn't sound congested at all.  Kind of like the 650's (with a good tube amp) only with more air and depth, no grain at all, better imaging. Smaller ensembles sound quite superb. It's Just a case of adjusting to a darker sound if you are coming from other quality classical cans.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back