Wich are the best headphones under US$1000 for classical music?
Aug 9, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #31 of 52
Quote:
Yeah I get you. The Q701's imaging makes one instrument sound quite distant from the other. It's pretty neat for acoustics music but for anything else, it's quite unrealistic. I'd rather take a headphone with a smaller soundstage that sounds more realistic. Perhaps what really turned me off about the Q701 was its bass but in addition, its plastic-y sound and borderline-harsh trebles. 

The headphones I want to try the most are the HE-6 and the LCD-2. How well does the HE-500 fare against the HE-6, if you've compared/ heard anything about them? 

Yeah I loved the K702's for acoustic music, really unbeatable for the price/performance. But, I used to get frustrated as I couldn't enjoy some of my old favorite recordings because of the inconsistency regarding the treble and soundstage.

I've only briefly heard the HE6 as I auditioned both and went for the 500's as they are much easier to drive and my system just isn't up to the task of feeding the 6's and so I can't really give you an accurate "better or not" answer. The 500's seemed to have a more velvety lush sound. It's all about matching imo and when I have a much better dac and amp then I will look to the HE6's again or LCD3's.
I seem to have fallen for the Orthos sound though.. and once I had adjusted to them, every time I tried one of my dynamic headphones they just didn't cut it for me anymore... tis a shame, but they are just better.  I've got some LCD2's coming very soon and I will be posting some comparisons with the HE500's regarding classical and jazz.

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

They are $995 and I also recommend. Sweet sound and perfect for classical.

In Chile they are 1400. Generally Grados are expensive here.
confused_face.gif

Oh yeah, Grado's infamous export prices, ugh.

I would not recommend LCD-2. Dark sounding phones don't do strings any justice IMHO

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Excelent! I like the non expensive AKG K702. But is it really the best under $1000 ??

In my country the prices are:
AKG 702 = $450 (aprox.)
HE-500   =  $600
ATH-A2000X = $620 (aprox.)

And the T1, HD800, and GS1000 are out of the range. (GS1000 = $1.400)

at this price, definitely he500
spend the remaining for the dac/amp, youre pretty much set.

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #36 of 52
Beyer T1's are nice for classical in my opinion.  They can be found for under $1000 (got mine on amazon for $930 a few months ago).  Not sure how they sounds with the EF-5.

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

They are $995 and I also recommend. Sweet sound and perfect for classical.

And you can also watch the for sale section here and also at Audigon; they are often posted for 700 or less. In fact, I'm considering upgrading to the PS1000's and am thinking of selling mine for around 600 for a quick sell. Nothing positive, though...just mentioned as an example...

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #38 of 52
^ Good point as long as they are willing to ship overseas. Any idea what the PS-1000s have been going for used, because the list price is ridiculous IMHO

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #41 of 52
Alessandro MS-Pro is apparently one of the best (if not the best) in Grado's line for classical music
Used T1/800 might trump it though.
I've seen used T1 for under $1000, shouldn't be too hard to find I think
Try eBay if you are having difficulties, I think I saw a used T1 up for sale there 

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #43 of 52
Quote:
Hi everyone, since I met headfi I'm looking for a good setup to play/enjoy classical music. I´ll start by the headphones. I'm thinking not to spend more than U$1000 on them. Nowadays I use HE400, but in my opinion they don't have enough bright. I mean I want to hear the breathing of the players, complete string sound, air between instruments, and the power of the drums and percussion.

Questions: planar or dynamics? Is it ok HE500 for that? may I consider the senns on this field?

thanks for your help

Interesting you'd post that.  I have quite an array of headphones and I've been finding HE-400's darkness to be ideal for classical.  One question: Are you using velour or pleather pads?  If you're using the pleather, order some velours ASAP.  It's a world of difference like you wouldn't believe.

Most audiophiles feel bright=classical for some reason, and for the life of me I'll never understand why.  Anyone who's spent any time in the concert hall knows the sound of real seating in a real hall, especially up in the balconies (i.e. the most expesnive seats), is DARK.  The whole building is padded and carpeted and wood finished for exactly that reason, to make it dark and lush.  To me, HE-400 running on a hybrid tube amp sounds very much like the tonality a real concert hall has. 

You will not hear all the breathing of the players, the complete string sound and the air between instruments with them.  You will also not hear those things in the concert hall presuming you're not standing at the conductor's podium.  If you are standing at the conductor's podium, then take your six-figure-salary-making 1st class flying rear end and go buy some Stax SR009's and be done with it
tongue_smile.gif
  I will never understand the audiphile obsession with bright headphones for classical that sound nothing at all like sitting for a live performance sounds.   As a big classical buff I can say HE-400 and some nice warm tubes and the velour pads is as close to an authentic concert as your listening chair might sound.

Caveat: I'm also building an HE-6 rig at present which is indeed supposed to be more balanced, more detailed, and a bit brighter, but I'm counting on the overall HiFiMan real-life tonality to continue to be present with a different tonal balance. It's a departure from HE-400's darkness, certainly.  But it also won't be my every-day listening headphone but for something special and perhaps "better than real life"

Note that all this is my opinion and for some reason lots of audiophiles do like really bright headphones for classical,  And "better than life" can be a treat which is why I'm building my HE-6 system.  But HE-400 does have a remarkable lifelike feel to the real hall, IMHO.  Personally I prefer it for classical over HD650, D5000, K702, while preferring the others for rock and the like.  I'm split between HD650 and HE-400 for jazz, 50% of the time for each.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Interesting you'd post that.  I have quite an array of headphones and I've been finding HE-400's darkness to be ideal for classical.  One question: Are you using velour or pleather pads?  If you're using the pleather, order some velours ASAP.  It's a world of difference like you wouldn't believe.

Most audiophiles feel bright=classical for some reason, and for the life of me I'll never understand why.  Anyone who's spent any time in the concert hall knows the sound of real seating in a real hall, especially up in the balconies (i.e. the most expesnive seats), is DARK.  The whole building is padded and carpeted and wood finished for exactly that reason, to make it dark and lush.  To me, HE-400 running on a hybrid tube amp sounds very much like the tonality a real concert hall has. 

You will not hear all the breathing of the players, the complete string sound and the air between instruments with them.  You will also not hear those things in the concert hall presuming you're not standing at the conductor's podium.  If you are standing at the conductor's podium, then take your six-figure-salary-making 1st class flying rear end and go buy some Stax SR009's and be done with it
tongue_smile.gif
  I will never understand the audiphile obsession with bright headphones for classical that sound nothing at all like sitting for a live performance sounds.   As a big classical buff I can say HE-400 and some nice warm tubes and the velour pads is as close to an authentic concert as your listening chair might sound.

Caveat: I'm also building an HE-6 rig at present which is indeed supposed to be more balanced, more detailed, and a bit brighter, but I'm counting on the overall HiFiMan real-life tonality to continue to be present with a different tonal balance. It's a departure from HE-400's darkness, certainly.  But it also won't be my every-day listening headphone but for something special and perhaps "better than real life"

Note that all this is my opinion and for some reason lots of audiophiles do like really bright headphones for classical,  And "better than life" can be a treat which is why I'm building my HE-6 system.  But HE-400 does have a remarkable lifelike feel to the real hall, IMHO.  Personally I prefer it for classical over HD650, D5000, K702, while preferring the others for rock and the like.  I'm split between HD650 and HE-400 for jazz, 50% of the time for each.

I tried HE400 with velour pads, definitely it increase the performance of my setup. It was HM-602 > EF5 > HE400 (with velour pads). I tried it with Cello (yoyoma), bass (meyer), violins, chamber music (Haydn and Bach), and symphonic music like 2nd symphony by Malher, and piano concertos (2 and 3) by Rachmaninov. I was beutiful, full color image, very musical, but I still thinking about a brighter pair of cans could be better for symphonic music.
Thanks for share your opinion, I really appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back