Why we shouldn’t dismiss old CD players.
Aug 4, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #61 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Pinkie,

My comment was regarding your comment, to wit something on the basis of Japanese crap which was deleted. I appreciate your comments above, and that it comes from what you believe to be true. I'll keep an eye out for those specific players.

Look forward to your opinions once you have listened to some old V new players Bangra. I don't know what you are referring to with the Jap crap bit and, if I deleted it, it would have been for a reason.......... probably due to me wakening up the following day and regretting posting whatever it was.

One thing I want you to know Bangra, I respect you and consider you as a clued up head-fier.......

Mike.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #62 of 98
well, you say it..i don''t mind..go for accuphase,sony,etc...

but i'm always asking, when looking at ebay...why do those asians buy studer or a good philips, or emt....

i've asked a austrian seller of a philips cd-player and he also sold 11 emt players to asians..why do asians buy those stuff??

well, he said..some of those buyers can afford a mercedes 600, but they don't have enough place to park them, so they buy good audio equipment...

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #63 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Look forward to your opinions once you have listened to some old V new players Bangra. I don't know what you are referring to with the Jap crap bit and, if I deleted it, it would have been for a reason.......... probably due to me wakening up the following day and regretting posting whatever it was.

One thing I want you to know Bangra, I respect you and consider you as a clued up head-fier.......

Mike.

No Pinkie. It was deleted by a moderator. This is why I have trouble reading and commenting on your posts. All jokes aside, I do not know half the time whether you're talking out of your arse or whether you're serious. I wish it were otherwise.

I'm out of this thread hereafter. Should I find those decks, I'm up for some new gear to listen to so I'll pick them up.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #64 of 98
Some good thoughts and opinions being put out on this thread, but I have to wonder if we are comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges. Should a CD player that cost $500 fifteen years ago be compared to players that cost $500 today, or perhaps $200, or possibly even $500 plus inflation? No right answers, but one should be aware of what they are comparing, and what are their expectations. Factor in everybody's hearing and you really have a mess of variables. I know there are a lot of things that other people can hear in equipment that I have trouble detecting. So, perhaps this is a much more subjective question that it appears?

Me, I am having trouble replacing a fully functioning, 14 year old Yamaha player even though I believe that a newer, budget player (read NAD) should provide me with better sound. I am pretty certain that it will sound different, and I would like to believe that will sound better. Perhaps some day soon I will fork up some $ to see if I am correct in my assumptions? In the mean time, it is what it is.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #66 of 98
Quote:

I'm out of this thread hereafter.

Be sure to check back with your impressions of the cheapskate "old school" boot sale bargains V Latest all singing all dancing budget CDP's.

[size=medium]Philips Inventors of the CD[/size] European not Japanese

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #67 of 98
that's right...and you know what...those philips cd-players are still the best..
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #68 of 98
i have owend both of those players ampgalore. and both kicked ass. although the wadia is cheap by wadia standards, it certainly is not budget.

most people cant dream of a 1000 doallr player.

but for 1000 bucks the wadia 23 is an insane deal. man, what a great player that is!

as for the meridian, well, i hope that it is sold, cuz i damn near bought it today!

sean

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #69 of 98
How old is that Meridian? I don't see any analog outs on the back. How do you use it?

I noticed it has the famed Philips transport. Definitely more solid than what you can get from today's mass market CD players.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #70 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
How old is that Meridian? I don't see any analog outs on the back. How do you use it?

It's a transport, hence it being in the transports section of Audiogon.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #71 of 98
The transport is excellent in the Meridian. That CD shuttle closes with a "thunk" like a german car door!

In the Wadia 23, the DAC is excellent as well. It has the famed Pioneer Stable Platter available in most of the (non Teac vrds) Wadias.

So you are getting great technology for a lower price!

If you want a Stable Platter on the cheap here's a hint -- they are in the old Pioneer Elite CDPs
wink.gif

Sean

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #72 of 98
Quote:

Only the people who can't afford the really high-end Japanese stuff
wink.gif

There's no such thing as "high-end Japanese stuff"
biggrin.gif

Those Japanese audiophiles are not dumb they don't buy their own crap!
Besides USA, some of the best source analog or digital come from England, Germany, Switzerland and a very few from France (Micromega, Audio Aero).

I had Meridian 207 and 206 bitstream and i'm not surprised that people still rave about it. In comparison those $500 universal players suck. They are good for watching DVD but very weak for redbook playback.

My recommended new entry level cdp is Micromega minium CD3 at around $500. Do a comparison with any Japanese universal player about the same price and you should hear a big difference.

If some of you want a taste of the old 206 you can try to find the old Audio Alchemy DDE v1.0 or 1.2, a small converter that use the same bitstream chip than the 206, used it goes for around $70-90. Amazingly good for the price, very close to the Meridian 206.

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #74 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
There's no such thing as "high-end Japanese stuff"
biggrin.gif

Those Japanese audiophiles are not dumb they don't buy their own crap!

Woah!

Have you heard of esoteric???

and CEC??

Woah, hold up Nelly!

Are those not triple AAA grade, kind Japanese companies????

Aug 5, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #75 of 98
Isn't it Reimyo that just floored all over at HI FI +?

Rather Japanese, no?

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back