Why we shouldn’t dismiss old CD players.
Aug 5, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #77 of 98
Yup... Philips as a brand is / was big in Japan...

Like the Philips AZ6829 PCDP going for up to (equivilant of) $1,000 US...
eek.gif

Aug 5, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #78 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Japan, that land of underachieving morons who can't make a stereo if their lives depended on it

I have to disagree with you there Bangraman. Japan nowadays can "invent" and produce some of the finest gadgets known to mankind. They are not the nation of copycats they once were and can invent their own gadgets these days.

Sure, they learnt their trade (industrial espionage) from the British motor industry / electronics industry back in the early 1950's and started off producing rather flimsy copies of the British designs but these days "made in Japan" is an indication of good quality. Their workforce and production techniques are second to none.

I can't agree that Japan is a land of underachieving morons...... far from it they had the best teachers on the planet
wink.gif

Mike.

Motorcycles, Bangra, motorcycles, BSA = Honda
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #80 of 98
I read that there was a recent convention among Philips engineers, who voted that the Best CD transport they ever made was the very original CDM 1 Pro.

In fact, recently there were some threads on Audiocircle.com where 20-year old Krell transport (using early CDM) killed a modern transport, using latest and greatest along with serious mods on top.

Some of best DAC's in the world today still uses the very old Philips "Crown" 16-bit DAC's, including the $10K plus Zanden DAC.

I recently bought a high-tech, extremely well reviewed CDP, and found that my 10 year old CDP sounded much more preferable to my ears. Since then, I have sold the high-tech player and got my old player modded for even better sound.

But it would be negligent not to mention there are tons of players currently that sound great as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there's no sure way of telling whether a given player of certain vintage will sound good or good enough without listening to it.

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #81 of 98
Very true Jon L...

Re the CDM1... that is one of the reasons why i'm looking (in vain) for a Philips CD880... uses the TDA1541 Silver Crown, and has a CDM1 transport...

...Supposedly the best player Philips ever made... - I guess thats why I can't find one on the used market
frown.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #82 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
that is one of the reasons why i'm looking (in vain) for a Philips CD880

Edit CD8** to "CD***" if you want to snap one up Duncan
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #84 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78
yep, those crown dacs, aren't they from the late 80's?

hmm, perhaps interesting stuff to read, it's about a cd880 and a pc..

link

Not neccesarily taking away from the link you provided, but if you look at the link for the (albeit enhanced version of the) actual product Twin DAC (Plus) you can see that the DAC is over $2,000...

To me that means that the CDP didn't do too badly
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #86 of 98
Here is a recent sale on ebay...

Generally speaking, I think $300 is about top whack...
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #87 of 98
190 euro...woww

why didn't you buy it..

i have a studer, which, i think, is superior to this cd880..i won't downgrade..but for 190 euro..well...that's cheapppp.

why buying those very expensive pcdp's and cdp's?? when you've got a 880 for 190 euro

i think it's not a good idea to promote these philips players, otherwise they are gonna sky-high, just like that pcdp-hype, and recently the walkman-hype..

Aug 7, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #88 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78
190 euro...woww

why didn't you buy it..

Because it wasn't mint condition... whereas, this which ended an hour before the 880... was
smily_headphones1.gif

And... yes, you have a good point about driving the market up... lol, i'll be shooting myself in the foot if the next CD880 that pops up goes for ££££££
frown.gif

Aug 7, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #89 of 98
achhh soo, you've won the item....for 80 euro..that's the bargain of the month
smily_headphones1.gif
..did you recieve the philips??

higher price:
i have the feeling, that's going to happen. when you've got a lot of threads about the philips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back