Why we shouldn’t dismiss old CD players.
Aug 1, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #31 of 98
I've had a 541i for nearly a year now. It's a fine cd player, and one of the very few non gold/champagne/silver colored cd players you can get in Singapore (the local dealers refuse to bring in black marantz and sonys because apparently everyone and his mother only wants gold finished versions). I love the player, and in fact shelved plans to upgrade, after getting a few minor mods done. However, the player could be better built(rather filmsy case compared to the solid metal ones of the higher end cdps), but its really an unfair demand to be made on a player in its price bracket. The sony transport used in the NAD also takes forever to read a cd compared to my old el cheapo Phillips CD690 that I picked up for 30 bucks(this one has a swing arm lens mech). Now, the reason I decided to keep the NAD is because its still pretty new, only about a year old, and I don't need to worry about not being able to find a rare replacement lens/transport mech for it. I do agree that many of the old cdps sound better(having heard a few, but not by a significant margin), however, you usually have to source around for replacement lens units (hard to find and expensive) and replace old caps.

Aug 1, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #32 of 98
hey Duncan,

it follows that they dont make em the way they used to in the pcdp market as well as the cdp market.

I must say im a little disappointed you didnt get the Meridian 206, especialy having access to cheaper ones in the UK...

I loved my Meridian 206 and compared to my purchased new in 2002 Nad cd/dvdp the meridian sounds better, alot more weight, presence, and an overall more analogue sound. Only time that beutiful player was ever struggling was with a couple of high notes where it could get a little glarey. However, you coule still listen to brass all night with a smile on your face and this is a 12 year old DAC dishing it out!

There are alot of great "vintage" cdps out there are would make great transports. The only real concern is the finite life of lasers and their eventual laser tracking issues. And as my Meridian proves, the DAC technology is listenable too....

Alot of these 2000-3000 dollar players from the early 90s are so expensive because the technology was newish and economies of scale hadent kicked in yet (think the current plama tv market). But they were also able to make the build quality so substantial too. Thats why these pups are still on the road today.

Ive always been a proponent of the pioneeer elite cdps from the early 90s. THough i have not heard one, i do know that their transport assembly the so called Pioneer Stable Platter, is the same mech used in my Wadia CDP. I think that reason alone makes them a worthy transport unit. They can be easily found at agon and ebay....

anyway, i started out with pcdps and felt like stepping up to full sized sound. I do not regret my decision to try the meridian 206 and think that vintage units definitely have a place here at headfi.

for those wishing to make the jump from pcdp to full sized sound, these budget players, with low hours, may be the ticket to send you on your way.

Aug 2, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #33 of 98
My Micromega is still going strong and it was made in 1994. I'd probably have to spend about 2k to get anything that sounded better.

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #34 of 98
I'll have to agree with spwal 100% about the 206. (Considering I now own it
rs1smile.gif
)

I currently have it hooked up to and electrocompaniet DAC and it just sounds amazing very much in the league of todays top notch players.

The age the DAC made me decide to get and external DAC although the rest of the player is just amazing built like a TANK and half power supply where could you go wrong!

It's something you just can't overlook.

I'm sure glad I didn't!!

biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #35 of 98
Hmm...

I might have to try and find a Meridian owner, and A/B the two...

Different price leagues admittedly, so should be a no brainer - either way, would be good to hear if my 'flavor' of CDP is anywhere near comparable to a top spec unit from a few years back.

Whether or no, I like the sound... detail retrieval is brilliant on this unit
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #36 of 98
I gotta chime in on this one.

I never let go of analog after I heard what I was told was a "High End" CD player back in 1986. I think it was a Revox or Meridian and it cost $2600 in 1986 dollars. I knew from the very first time I heard a CD player that I was never gonna give up my vinyl. Can you name one CD player(besides the late 80s portables)that you would prefer over the even medicore modern digital gear? Name one "classic" home CD player.

I won't immediately dismiss the older players but I've heard many,many of them and found them, then and now, to sound inferior to modern players. The first CD player I purchased was a Kyocera that was very highly praised by the American and British audio media. I paid big bucks for a very well built player that sounded terrible. I moved on to various Onkyo,Marantz,Meridian and too many other players,Dac and transport combos to name and each subsequent player sounded better than the one before. Only my digital purchases have worked out this way. There has been an exponential improvement in digital sound quality over the years to the point that a player like the Philips 963 sounds way,way better than anything from just ten years ago. In my opinion, there is no reason to make use of older digital players other than nostalgia.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #38 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Couldn't have said it better Tuberoller!
wink.gif

P.S. Now I am donning my anti flame suit and go and hide in a corner in preparation for the imminent flame war.

Why are you always looking for a flame war????????????

If you make reasonable comments and expect reasonable responses,that's most likely what you'll get. Relax a bit buddy,everything does'nt have to turn into a fight.

Aug 3, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #39 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Why are you always looking for a flame war????????????

That's how you get over 1,700 posts in three months.
eek.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 12:15 PM Post #40 of 98
Just to chime in with my 2p, I've owned Meridian 206 and 207s, a Pioneer Precision 505 (with the stable platter), and I'm currently listening to a Rotel 965 with a Mission Dac 7. I've always felt these old players (especially the Meridians) have done digital perfectly well, and I've never felt the need to upgrade them, and certainly haven't heard anything that sounds hugely better in my local dealer's. They are perfectly adequate for my main use for CDs - listening whenever I'm fiddling with my turntable!
biggrin.gif

Andrew

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #41 of 98
i agree.

tuberoller, these old meridians/esoterics/ pioneer elites what have you are really decent players.

I guess those on that side of the fence have been lucky enough to own clean, decent, problem free machines

tube, most of us are also not on the budgetless track, and these units make excellent transports at the very least. I e we can get 1000s worth of sound for a fraction of the price.

I dont want to inflate the market (old pioneer elites already go like hotcakes)

But i have been told by meridian that these players will work like the day they were born until the finite life of the laser finally gives. then the owner will experience tracking problems.

prior to that, well, many many hours of listening pleasure!

sean

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #42 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
P.S. Now I am donning my anti flame suit and go and hide in a corner in preparation for the imminent flame war.

No need for that...

I will openly agree that most old school players sound like crap... i've heard many of them... the only difference, why I have faith in this old Philips is because it was the first of a new breed... and they went overboard on the build of this, to 'sell' the new technology (at the time of course)

Take it or leave it, either way - i'm very happy with my cheap purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #44 of 98
I think the biggest test will be between these old players (which are possibly nearing parts failure) and the latest crop of lower-cost universal players, many of which are now benefitting from the trickle-down of previously high-end high-bandwidth converters, as well as the manufacturers gradually but surely getting their heads around CD playback on DVD transports. People usually buy old school players because of budget constraints or to get a 'name' for less, so it is unlikely that they've compared it to a variety of current low-cost players.

So the question is, is it better to spend £50 on an old player where you get (occasionally unreliable) redbook playback only, or save another £100 (or even less, if you jump on a used current model player) for an entry-level universal player? Is the buffered and de-jittered redbook playback on a universal better than old school players? I'd really like to see this test. I'm prepared to buy one or two entry-level universals for a fair trial against the old players if it would satisfy people's curiousity, and if we can discuss this like adults.

Aug 3, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #45 of 98
If you can do this comparison, that would be great Bangraman.

Samsung, Philips, are all coming out with new universal players in the sub $200 range. It would be very educational to see how they stack up against the old players on redbook playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back