Why use a streamer and not an old PC?
Feb 10, 2021 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

bvhme

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about getting a streamer to stream from Qobuz to my stereo.

I was wondering why I should use a dedicated streamer over maybe using an old office mini PC (perhaps on Linux or something) with a good separate USB DAC like a iFi Zen DAC. It would be significantly cheaper as old Lenovo Tiny PCs can be bought for about the same amount of money as a new raspberry pie whilst having significantly more power and expandability.

Why is this not more popular?

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 54
My reason would be potential cooling fan noise (wherefore I would personally get a Raspberry Pi for that purpose), but I guess that the main reason for most people is that they prefer a ready-made all-in-one solution where they don't have to care about the configuration, setup and settings of the streamer; probably also because they may think that an "audiophile" streamer/software would deliver superior sound quality.

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 54
Why is this not more popular?

I actually use both, Chromecasts and a Windows 10 desktop computer. I can think of a few other people who do as well.

When I'm actually at the desktop, which is often, I'll stream or play from local storage with it. I also use it as a server for my music library and stream from it both locally and remotely.

I'm just relaxing, I'll switch over to the Chromecasts. I've two stationary systems, by the way, the desktop, which incorporates a Chromecast Audio, and an AV one which has a Chromecast and integrated amp attached to the televsion. Sometimes, when I'm in the mood for it, I'll stream to both Chromecasts as a group for pseudo-surround sound - they're both in the same room.

Anyway, back to what you were discussing about mini/fanless PCs, sure, they can be used as streamers just fine. I can think of a few ways to do it.

Attach the PC to a DAC and then:

1. configure it as a UPnP/DLNA/AirPlay/Google Cast receiver/endpoint/renderer - there are applications for all of those protocols, and they're often combined into one such package.

- or -

2. remote control it via Remote Desktop or some other remote control app and launch whatever streaming service one requires via a Web browser or application.

All the best... 📱🎧🎶 🤘🏾😎🤘🏾

P.S. I've actually configured my desktop as UPnP/DLNA renderer before. I forget which program I used to do it, but I do remember that it was freeware and worked just fine.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 54
I've wondered this also. I use my main/gaming computer for headphone listening, I have a dedicated older computer for my main music stereo, and yet another dedicated PC for my home theater.

I've never seen the appeal of buying a dedicated disposable device to replace what I can already do better using hardware that I already have - but being as I do computer work in general I'm probably in a better spot than most when it comes to being able to piece together extra computers.

Also, many devices "strongly encourage" you use use services/subscriptions associated with the maker of the device. Use a Firestick, and you get Amazon services pushed on you. Use a Chromecast, get google services pushed on you. I prefer using a "neutral" device that I have full control over.

Finally, I have a lot of static content. Movies and Music sitting on my fileserver, accessible anywhere on my network. I prefer accessing that content directly over the network, rather than "streaming" it, which in the case of Movies at least often involves transcoding on-the-fly to ensure compatibility with the target device.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 54
I've found that streamers sound better than USB connections. I have a Chord Poly, Chord 2go and Bluesound Node 2i streamer. The benefit of connecting to a computer is that Equalizer software is better on a laptop than in an Android or hardware device.

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 54
Audio from my PC often has hiccups and glitches no matter how I tried to eliminate it.
My streamer perhaps doesn't improve the sound, but at least guarantees stability because of the custom board and OS.
An old PC may be repurposed to do the same, but it takes a lot of tinkering with no promise of success.

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 54
I use a RaspberryPi with a PI2AES HAT, so I don't have to turn on my main gaming rig while I'm working. I already have my work laptop on, no need for another one being on just for music. Or if I'm working on my gaming rig, I don't want to be without music during reboots!

Feb 14, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 54
Audio from my PC often has hiccups and glitches no matter how I tried to eliminate it.
My streamer perhaps doesn't improve the sound, but at least guarantees stability because of the custom board and OS.

Yeah, that's one major advantage of ready streamers versus PCs DIY-ed for music. A PC can also run flawlessly, but not everyone is able to build one.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 15, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #10 of 54
An old PC may be repurposed to do the same, but it takes a lot of tinkering with no promise of success.

Changing the PC's energy settings from power saving/balanced to high power could resolve this.

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #12 of 54
I'm really interested in this setup. I've read purrin's thread repeatedly but if I'm being honest, I don't know if I'd be able to set it all up. Seems way out of my capabilities with computers. Is there a place to purchase this unit functional? Also can a touchscreen be implemented and able to stream Tidal?
Appreciate any info you can give me.

cheers!
I use a RaspberryPi with a PI2AES HAT, so I don't have to turn on my main gaming rig while I'm working. I already have my work laptop on, no need for another one being on just for music. Or if I'm working on my gaming rig, I don't want to be without music during reboots!

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 54
I'm really interested in this setup. I've read purrin's thread repeatedly but if I'm being honest, I don't know if I'd be able to set it all up. Seems way out of my capabilities with computers. Is there a place to purchase this unit functional? Also can a touchscreen be implemented and able to stream Tidal?
Appreciate any info you can give me.

cheers!

If one is not too anxious when it comes to trying to working/tinkering with computers, setting everything up is actually quite simple. You may want to check out https://volumio.org/ which is an easy to use RasPi OS designed for music streaming (including Tidal), and it also works with the official Raspberry Pi touchscreen board (but can also be accessed via smartphone, tablet computer, personal computer, laptop etc. (any web interface)).
I'm no PC geek either but rather quick to learning and adapting to new things when it comes to new and unfamiliar technology, and while I had it, I was able to set up my RasPi 3 Volumio OS (as well as (totally unrelated to the streaming and Volumio OS) using it with a Linux OS distribution that was also surprisingly easy to get into (with the help of some web tutorials when I got stuck) despite having close to no prior experience with Linux) without any issues (which also goes for my desktop PC that I bought barebone and installed and configured everything myself without any noteworthy prior experience - it is really not nearly as difficult as it seems; all one needs is a bit of courage).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #14 of 54
I've wondered this also. I use my main/gaming computer for headphone listening, I have a dedicated older computer for my main music stereo, and yet another dedicated PC for my home theater.

I've never seen the appeal of buying a dedicated disposable device to replace what I can already do better using hardware that I already have - but being as I do computer work in general I'm probably in a better spot than most when it comes to being able to piece together extra computers.

Also, many devices "strongly encourage" you use use services/subscriptions associated with the maker of the device. Use a Firestick, and you get Amazon services pushed on you. Use a Chromecast, get google services pushed on you. I prefer using a "neutral" device that I have full control over.

Finally, I have a lot of static content. Movies and Music sitting on my fileserver, accessible anywhere on my network. I prefer accessing that content directly over the network, rather than "streaming" it, which in the case of Movies at least often involves transcoding on-the-fly to ensure compatibility with the target device.
Hilarious! I do the same thing and my server is also called Fileserver. F streaming! Stuff is stupid and unnecessary.

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #15 of 54
I use my PCs (two of them) as stereos. Thousands of ripped CD’s and downloaded songs and amateur recordings (I’m into making music as well). But I’m very at home in the guts of a PC. D to A is important. Access to the PC is important- if the party is in your living room and the server PC is not you have to walk down the hall to access it. Or become an expert at apps and remote control. Thus I have two PC’s For stereos. I’m not an expert at apps and remote control. I walk to the PC and control the music there. Years ago Linux was very useful for speeding up older PC’s but of late the gains seem to be less. Having multiple PC’s with your music collection is also a form of backup. Of course you back up to other systems (the cloud or detachable drives or whatever) but having another PC is a convenient backup backup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back