Why use a streamer and not an old PC?
Mar 7, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #16 of 54
Probably the best reason for a streamer is that you can run it headless from a PC, phone, tablet etc. Bluesound is really pretty nice, supports most or all of the streaming services and can be controlled from anywhere. It also supports dlna and Windows file sharing / Samba so you can use it to play off a NAS. It has digital input also. Really nice for the money, and supports MQA.

If you use a PC as a source you still need a good DAC. Many streamers have DACs but you can find some that are just transports.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #17 of 54
I was thinking about getting a streamer to stream from Qobuz to my stereo.

I was wondering why I should use a dedicated streamer over maybe using an old office mini PC (perhaps on Linux or something) with a good separate USB DAC like a iFi Zen DAC. It would be significantly cheaper as old Lenovo Tiny PCs can be bought for about the same amount of money as a new raspberry pie whilst having significantly more power and expandability.

Why is this not more popular?
Power consumption, noise, looks, and size.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #18 of 54
I think computers are more popular than streamers? Atleast in normal midrange setups.

Beside of the noticable sound improvement of a streamer (which is of course debatable) its just way more convenient for me. No booting up a computer, no fan noise, no big screen, controlable from everywhere with ipad or phone.

Streamers with good UI like LuminOS and bluesound are just way more relaxing. Anything dlna related with mconnect or bubble upnp with configurations in browser like volumio or sotm/rendu can be a bit more of a hassle.

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 54
Power consumption, noise, looks, and size.

Exactly. And many affordable streamers really sound good these days! I don't see myself getting back to Foobar and laptop anytime soon :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #20 of 54
The thing about noise and jitter are overstated and doesn't change the sound. If it does, it's due to ground issues that needs to be addressed. Thing aboht SQ changing due to noise is a bunch of bull.

I do however think there is a difference in sound of usb implementations between different OS/hardware implementarions. Mac OS and windows sound different and I don'f know what causes the diffefence.

one is not superior over the other, just slightly different sounding. Windows sound thicker and warmer compared fo Mac OS. How do we know which is reference and proper? It's a subjectivr decision.

Same with pi2AES. It's not an improvement and streaming in itself does not improve SQ. IMO, using Pi is more of a hassle than an improvement.

What does noisy usb sound like how do these people know? It sounds like a bunch of placebo. They say it's noise without any grounds and soubds like bull. same for the linear ps arguments.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #21 of 54
I use an Android box running UAPP w/ LPS + Singxer SU-6 as streamer/NAS player and it works for me. No complicated hardware/software configuration headaches.

11455151.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #22 of 54
I use an Android box running UAPP+ LPS + Singxer SU-6 as streamer/NAS player and it works for me. No complicated hardware/software configuration headaches.

11455151.jpg
What are those buttons on the front of the Singxer? I see power, but why a Play button?

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #23 of 54
No buttons bro just indicator lights for power, play (when source is playing), and DSD (when doing DSD files).

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #24 of 54
Thanks, looks like a nice box. I checked the info on kitsune and shenzen and it has a nice selection of outputs.

Apr 5, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #25 of 54
It's a nice reclock/regen DDC in addition to your source USB. Be it Windows, Mac, Linux or Android based.

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #26 of 54
Apr 5, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #27 of 54
Yep knew MC-3+ Smart Clock USB as a product. But sadly it has no I2S , w/c I was looking for my DAC. Anyway this is an interim solution until the Hyrda.Hub will be in production (hopefully soon).

But any case, a USB source (NUC, Android box, RPi etc) + USB Interface/DDC is a potent combination.

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #28 of 54
I try both options: I have a PC (quite fast actually) with Qobuz and Audirvana Plus, and use a wired ethernet connection, however I do use the Qobuz Audirvana App on my iPad to control it rather than walking over to the PC all the time.

However more recently I added the Cambridge Audio CX2 and I get lazy and just us their App (on the iPad) to control my Qobuz, I find that works great except very rarely it seems to glitch.

I honestly like both solutions!

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #29 of 54
Yep knew MC-3+ Smart Clock USB as a product. But sadly it has no I2S , w/c I was looking for my DAC. Anyway this is an interim solution until the Hyrda.Hub will be in production (hopefully soon).

But any case, a USB source (NUC, Android box, RPi etc) + USB Interface/DDC is a potent combination.
I'm starting to prefer AES for several reasons. I hope hifi gear continues to offer it.

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #30 of 54
I was thinking about getting a streamer to stream from Qobuz to my stereo.

I was wondering why I should use a dedicated streamer over maybe using an old office mini PC (perhaps on Linux or something) with a good separate USB DAC like a iFi Zen DAC. It would be significantly cheaper as old Lenovo Tiny PCs can be bought for about the same amount of money as a new raspberry pie whilst having significantly more power and expandability.

Why is this not more popular?
I think a PC vs a purpose built streamer choice boils down to a user's preferences between the mix of physical (audio discs & hard disks) vs streamed content, given there is more and more high quality streaming content on offer each day.

Raspberry Pi form factor DLNA or UPnP based streamer/DACs can directly access physical content from a hard disk. At the non DIY end, an all in one smart system like Sonos can handle streaming duties very well, with physical content attached to something like a Roon Nucleus tucked away in a corner somewhere. From there on, the choices only multiply in terms of cost and sophistication but none of them really need a PC to function - only a phone or a tablet in most cases.

A better example is from the world of video - a PC can easily stream / play DVD's & Blu-rays, yet many computer savvy people preferred to use DVD/Blu-ray players, and have now ditched even those in favour of streaming HD video content directly through the built-in streamers in TVs or through dongle sized streamers for convenience. HTPC and physical video content is still a thing but not as hot as it used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back