Why Touchscreen?
Sep 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally love the touch screen. Less mechanical pieces that can break and if you find that you have left out some control then you just need a software update and then you have the new button or wahtever. Also the touch screen comes with the new convergence where devices do a lot more than just play music and you just can't get all the controls needed if you have physical controls rather than the virtual ones.

That's the same reason I love touchscreens. That also lowers many manufacturing costs and warranty claims, which is another reason companies love them.

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #17 of 72
I'm not saying touch interfaces are going away either - we're going to continue to have both.

There will be companies that shift entirely to touch interfaces, and they'll eventually go back to having both touch and tactile interfaces.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #18 of 72
I wish the ipod Touch would steal the physical buttons from the Sony X series. It seems like the perfect blend to have volume, FF, RW, Play/Pause as physical buttons for when you want to operate your player without taking it out of your pocket.

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish the ipod Touch would steal the physical buttons from the Sony X series. It seems like the perfect blend to have volume, FF, RW, Play/Pause as physical buttons for when you want to operate your player without taking it out of your pocket.

i FULLY agree with OP and this guy, 100%
i always operate my zune from my pocket, i never like taking it out when i'm walking or taking the train.

i was stopped over in Japan Narita airport last month, when i played with the Sony X for the first time. i think their buttons on the top edge of the player was pure genius. with a few simple buttons on the side, touch players become perfect.

having a full touch device and no buttons is more of an attractive idea, its appears more sexy and futurist before you buy... but is not as useful once you buy. i think ipod touches are a bit too thin and curvy to put in buttons, but the zune would be great if they did that. i for one, would feel better.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #20 of 72
I don't like the trend to going to full touchsreens as well. But that's where the market is going to take us for DAPs and similar devices.

You can't use the new touchscreens with gloves on. Are there clear plastic screen protectors that work with the new touchscreens that are on the Touch or Zune HD?

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like the trend to going to full touchsreens as well. But that's where the market is going to take us for DAPs and similar devices.

You can't use the new touchscreens with gloves on. Are there clear plastic screen protectors that work with the new touchscreens that are on the Touch or Zune HD?

I've seen plenty of screen protectors sold on Amazon for the Touch. Can't speak to as how well they actually work. The screens on the Touch are pretty darn scratch resistant. Same for the Cown S9 I have. Imagine the Zune screen will also be quite strong.

Haven't gotten any scratches yet on my Touch or S9. Though I do keep both in leather cases.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #22 of 72
I like my ipod touch for gaming/apps and some listening, but I much prefer tactile controls. Even apple added the volume control buttons on the 2G touch. Would like to see another set of controls on the other side where you could change tracks.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Horseshoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my ipod touch for gaming/apps and some listening, but I much prefer tactile controls. Even apple added the volume control buttons on the 2G touch. Would like to see another set of controls on the other side where you could change tracks.

Don't care much for the volume buttons on the touch. Too hard to use with a case. Really like the button setup on the S9.

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #24 of 72
Adding a remote does help the Touch out a bit. There's a couple of aftermarket remotes that are coming out soon for the Shuffle which works for the 2G and 3G Touch too (same control chip), and it isn't too expensive ($10 - $20). Although, it would be nice for Apple to include them (which most likely will never happen).

A touchscreen does provide a lot of nice, usable UIs though, and it allows for companies to add new features to a player pretty easily.

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Capacitive touchscreens are getting better and cheaper and available from a lot more vendors, so it's one direction the market is going right now.

But it's not the only direction, and it's not going to limit choice much long-term.

Toshiba, for example, had the Gigabeat Fx0 series with rubberized touchpads, then the Fx1 series with the same rubberized touchpads, then the Xx0 series with the same rubberized touchpads, and then the Sx0 series replaced that touchpad with a very nice hard plastic d-pad. The P, T, and U series gigabeats are strictly hard buttons too.

There are a lot of hybrid devices around with touch for complex navigation and hard buttons for volume, power, etc.

Y'all sound like my friends did after they saw the kid in War Games using a light pen.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All the latest rage in Portable Players seems to be towards touchscreens. First was the iTouch/iPhone;

Touchscreens deny me all of this. When using a touchscreen, I must always be looking at the device to do anything on it - change tracks, change volume, whatever. So I ask: Why do people seem to love them so much? I've used the iTouch and the Zune HD, and while they look pretty, as a music player they're far more inefficient for everything I do. So what's the big appeal? I'm hoping someone who enjoys the devices (which is fine, I'm not trying to bash them, I just don't "get" it) can explain it to me.

I just have two points of contention with the above:

1) The Cowon D2 was touchscreen long before the iTouch/iPhone made its debut.

2) Don't use the iTouch/iPhone as the reference standard. Not every touchscreen PMP/DAP is void of physical buttons. For example: both the D2/D2+ and the S9 have physical buttons that allow you to play/pause and skip tracks (or fast forward using the same buttons).

As others have already said, we don't have to rely solely on physical buttons which could wear down and break with extended use. The touchscreen also allows designers to create more fluidic designs and the user interface is much more customizable (rather than some physical mish-mash of buttons and a small screen). All of the controls you might need (maybe except power) could essentially be done through the touch interface.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #27 of 72
The idea of having dedicated buttons in addition to a touchscreen is certainly interesting.

I must say, however, that I'm a bit shocked how many people are saying things like "buttons can break". First of all, so can touchscreens. Second, and more importantly, in a long history of portable electronic devices, I'm not sure I've had a button break ever. I had a couple on a graphing calculator once, but it was a decade old and had about 50 buttons. I don't see button failure as a valid argument.

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All the latest rage in Portable Players seems to be towards touchscreens. First was the iTouch/iPhone; now there's the upcoming Zune HD and the announcement that MS is cutting all non-HD Zunes. Let me be the first to say: I DON'T GET IT.

Let me be the second. I buy sound devices on the basis of one criterion: HOW THEY SOUND. The infintile fascination with whizzy tech that adds nothing to sound is unfathomable to me. The typical DAP will keep your schedule, cook your breakfast, and get you a date. Sorry, I already have people for that (or, more accurately, I have a "person" for that: me.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromacro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously touch screen appeals to those who typically look for more than just music. Wifi, apps, games, movies, and what have you. For music alone you're absolutely right, it adds to the inconvenience.

Perfectly stated. I wouldn't give a rat's patootie about these toys, if they hadn't pushed what I want out of the market. What choice do I have aside from DAPs or PMPs overstuffed with useless (to me) features? I'd happily buy a PCDP, if I could still get something on the order of an iRiver SlimX 550, which offers great format support and great sound. Seen anything like that for sale lately?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZarakiSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it's a nuisance that you have to look at the device to control its touch screen. But at the same time, it allows for a much, much better user interface (Physically) than a regular player.

I don't mean this to be hostile, but that reminds me of foodie restaurant reviews that dwell more on the decor, service, and even the freaking tableware, than on THE FOOD.

P.S.: I have very recently (within the last month) bought my first DAP, a 2GB Sansa Clip. Subjectively, I'm less pleased with it than I was with my last minidisc, an RH1, and I doubt it could compete with the best PCDPs from the mid-80s to mid-90s. But it sounds very good, and the interface is simple and easy to navigate, yes, even in my pocket. And it has no Web browser, no games, no address book, no social networking features. Just music. How strange is that?

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #29 of 72
I am a Touch owner, so I'm partial. The big reason to me for touch screens is to save space. I have a functional computer that fits easily in any pocket. It's about as thick as a book of matches. It's simple, elegant, and very easy to use. A small keyboard would be too inflexible. With the touch screen the only buttons that show are the buttons you need for that particular app.

Mooch

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a Touch owner, so I'm partial. The big reason to me for touch screens is to save space. I have a functional computer that fits easily in any pocket. It's about as thick as a book of matches. It's simple, elegant, and very easy to use. A small keyboard would be too inflexible. With the touch screen the only buttons that show are the buttons you need for that particular app.

Mooch

That's all great. What does it have to do with the worth of the Touch as a music player?

Seriously, I share your desire for a small, always-available computer. I've had a succession of them, starting with an HP 200LX (a long, long time ago.) But when it comes to music, I want the best-sounding device. Period. I don't judge the device as a music player because of its computer features. Music playback is a convenience I'd like to have in a pocket computer, but that pocket computer will never be my primary portable music player.

Again, I wouldn't be so pissed-off if I had more of a choice among music-first players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back