Why Touchscreen?
Sep 16, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #61 of 72
if you don't use the touch screen for Video purposed, only for music listening, touch screen is not so important.

Even if you have many files you can player it according your file folders which compiled by PC. it will not effect the convienience of using.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #62 of 72
QUOTE:I don't understand why a fascination with convenience and 'cool' features (touch screen)should be considered childish..

I also think the touch screen with DAP is childish. At least it have four meanings:

1, The technology is childish, that seems most of DAP have the touch screen, but not so sensitive especially when wore and teared.

2, The touch screen it'self is childish, which is easy to be hurted.

3, The users in some what are childish, for they are easy to be fool to pay the extra money of touch screen, and finally find out it is less useful.

4, the users will be childish when they break the touch screen accidently, they will think it is their own fault not the desinger's fault.------, I have broken two touch screen last year even if I was very carefull to use it!!!!---and to repair the touchscreen make me bankrupt,for the price is similar to a new player.

Some custers grow up now , so they said the touch screen is childish. yes, to me, if the player is perfect ,i can live with it without touch screen. My hobby to listen to my AMP3 now is random playing all the day inside my pocket, I don't want to scroll searching for the tracks. Because every track is so sweet via a capable player.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #63 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QUOTE:I don't understand why a fascination with convenience and 'cool' features (touch screen)should be considered childish..

I also think the touch screen with DAP is childish. At least it have four meanings:

1, The technology is childish, that seems most of DAP have the touch screen, but not so sensitive especially when wore and teared.

2, The touch screen it'self is childish, which is easy to be hurted.

3, The users in some what are childish, for they are easy to be fool to pay the extra money of touch screen, and finally find out it is less useful.

4, the users will be childish when they break the touch screen accidently, they will think it is their own fault not the desinger's fault.------, I have broken two touch screen last year even if I was very carefull to use it!!!!---and to repair the touchscreen make me bankrupt,for the price is similar to a new player.

Some custers grow up now , so they said the touch screen is childish. yes, to me, if the player is perfect ,i can live with it without touch screen. My hobby to listen to my AMP3 now is random playing all the day inside my pocket, I don't want to scroll searching for the tracks. Because every track is so sweet via a capable player.

Really? My touch's screen is made of glass, and really, it hasn't lost any sensitivity to it either, and I've had it since October of last year. Tough too, I had nothing to protect it for a good 3 months, and it survived without a nick or scratch on the screen. And I really wouldn't say the screen is childish, if you have a library approaching 10GB on the device, trying to pick out that one track out of the many is easy stuff (from personal experience).
Yes, the risk of breaking a touchscreen does render the entire device useless, but there are ways to be conscious of how we handle them.

Shilling out the AMP3 at any possible time is getting old. Yes, it's good (from what I've heard or read), but really, this is just pushing it, especially in a thread about touchscreens. It has its place here on head-fi, but trying to introduce it to every thread about any DAP-related thread is just...well, shilling it out too much.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #64 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shilling out the AMP3 at any possible time is getting old. Yes, it's good (from what I've heard or read), but really, this is just pushing it, especially in a thread about touchscreens. It has its place here on head-fi, but trying to introduce it to every thread about any DAP-related thread is just...well, shilling it out too much.

Yea, I've begun to notice that too. What's the deal with that?
The AMP3 doesn't even play gapless, yet people are continually pushing it as the Holy Grail of DAP's.
confused_face_2.gif

Also, I quite agree with your point about the touchscreen's usefulness if one has a large music library on their DAP.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #65 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ssnake51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AMP3 doesn't even play gapless, yet people are continually pushing it as the Holy Grail of DAP's.
confused_face_2.gif

Also, I quite agree with your point about the touchscreen's usefulness if one has a large music library on their DAP.

There's a couple people doing that too. Getting really tired walking into threads and all I see is AMP3 this, AMP3 that, AND IT'S NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO THE TOPIC AT HAND.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #66 of 72
I really hope the "classical" DAP won´t die out. I want something like the iAudio X5 back on the market, buttons without tactile response are just no good. What are the practical advantages of the touchscreen technology? And which of these advantges still exist in a DAP? A logical menu structure is key and missing that can´t be overcome by touchscreens. Hell, I could live well enough with a monochrome display! You can´t watch a movie on the size of a playing-card anyways.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #68 of 72
Quote:

if you have a library approaching 10GB on the device, trying to pick out that one track out of the many is easy stuff (from personal experience).

I've had a 20GB library (all in 64kbps atrac3plus) on my device for a 3 years, and i've never experienced any problem in picking out a needed track on it.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #69 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had a 20GB library (all in 64kbps atrac3plus) on my device for a 3 years, and i've never experienced any problem in picking out a needed track on it.

That's fine. But that doesn't mean other people don't find it easier to locate and select their music using a touchscreen.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #70 of 72
Quote:

That's fine. But that doesn't mean other people don't find it easier to locate and select their music using a touchscreen.

I don't care if the device has touchscreen or not while it could be disabled and there is a normal navigation buttons (i'd prefer 9 like on NW-HD5 and kenwood, but 7, like on zune and on ipod, is an absolute minimum).
Maybe someone finds it easier to pick up a single track from 2000 in a single list using touchscreen, but i'm finding touchscreen to be completely unuseable for basic player usage. The only positive thing i've heard about touchscreen is that Zune HD supports gestures, but hardware buttons are still better.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #71 of 72
Quote:

Right, but the point is: there are also many who can do that just fine without touchscreens. And the "normal" DAP without touchscreen and with a memory past the 16GB seems to die out. A fuze with 32 GB for instance would imho be something very nice.

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #72 of 72
Quote:

There's a couple people doing that too. Getting really tired walking into threads and all I see is AMP3 this, AMP3 that, AND IT'S NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO THE TOPIC AT HAND.

Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

It is flat-out wrong to suggest that the AMP3 is off-topic in this thread. It highlights the releative merits of sound quality and convenience. The AMP3 represents no-compromise sound (within cost limits) as a priority; touchscreens represent convenience as a priority.

I clearly understand what the AMP3 posters are driving at. For them sound is of paramount importance, and they will happily forgo the "coolness" and convenience of a touchscreen in favor of what they believe to be premium sound.

Lots of people eat at McDonalds, Burger King, et al. I wouldn't serve that "food" to a swine. People eat it, not because it's good, but because it's quick and they don't have to leave a tip. If those are your priorities, cool beans, as the saying goes. I choose a restaurant on the basis of the quality of the food served. Nothing else comes close as a priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back