why the technics RP DH1200 isn't taking a big concern in any big review for the DJ headphones ?
Jul 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mostafa1000

New Head-Fier
I just surfed the Internet for the best headphones for Djing and i found that Armin is actually wearing the technics RP DH1200 ,i read a lot of reviews about this phone it is so good ,that's why Armin use it and i found the ultimate rating for the headphones and i found that the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is more like the best phones in the whole market due to many points : build ,comfort,isolation,sound & price !!

so I have 4 Questions :

1: why is the Technics RP DH1200 isn't compared in the ultimate comparison :

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-86-portable-headphones-reviewed-soundmagic-p30-sony-mdr-770lp-added-07-12

2: what is the real cons about the technics RP DH1200 ??

3: is the technics RP DH1200 is a headphone for TRANCE or not ?

4: what is the best possible headphones for TRANCE for around 120 $ ?

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 8
The Technics RP-DH1200 were a set I was considering over a year ago, but due to unexpected situations, I had to delay my purchase. When I was ready to get them, I soon discovered that it is a model under risk of being discontinued due to Panasonic purchasing Technics, and along with opinions of some users around Head-Fi, I ended up getting a pair of A&H XD-53.

Also, RP-DH1200 aren't portable in the true sense of the world, which is why I assume they don't appear on a portable headphone comparison. For you to better understand, the only set of headphones you mentioned that can be on a portable headphone list is the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, as it is a true portable headphone, which both ATH-M50 and RP-DH1200 are full sized headphones.

Trance, and electronica in general, do perform very well on Ultrasone headphones. I think the Ultrasone HFI-580 would be something worth considering, as they are a quite nice set by themselves, and being very good performers, quite above average, in electronica.

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 8
Yeah, Armin usually wears that Technics phone but it doesn't mean it is the best phone for trance & electronic genre. Perhaps it's more convenient, or because of massive bass responses, and quantity, as you know that basically DJing is partly about feeling the beats of bass to mix them, and having a phone which reproduces huge amount of bass in such loud places is needed. Sometimes I also saw him wearing a custom in some liveshow clips.

So, using a phone to enjoy the trance is a different story with DJing trance, I think the M50 will suit you best around $150 budget. I mainly listen to trance & electro as well as melodic death metal, and the LCD2 is just awesome for these genres, just my $.02.

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Yeah, Armin usually wears that Technics phone but it doesn't mean it is the best phone for trance & electronic genre. Perhaps it's more convenient, or because of massive bass responses, and quantity, as you know that basically DJing is partly about feeling the beats of bass to mix them, and having a phone which reproduces huge amount of bass in such loud places is needed. Sometimes I also saw him wearing a custom in some liveshow clips.

So, using a phone to enjoy the trance is a different story with DJing trance, I think the M50 will suit you best around $150 budget. I mainly listen to trance & electro as well as melodic death metal, and the LCD2 is just awesome for these genres, just my $.02.

DJ headphones have come a long way, and the line between them and audiophile headphones is tenuous at best, it's no longer limited as in having a emphasized bass presence.

There have been quite a few reviews comparing M50 and HFI-580, specially for electronica, and HFI-580 wins just about every time. For the specific listening purposes of the OP, the HFI-580 is a better option, IMO.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 8
what do u think of the audio technica ATH pro700mk2 ,all reviews said it has a powerful bass ,assume it will like me (i mean the bass)

also i looked the ultrasone DJ1 it is so good, i read many reviews.

what do u think of its sound and comfartability and its ok if it is not portable

so i am asking you to prefer one of these for me or give me ur opinion
  • audio technica ATH pro700mk2
  • Ultrasone HFI 580
  • ultrasone DJ1

please pick the best one for me for these reasons:

1. i need it to give me clear and deep sound in mids and highs
  2. it must give quite punchy and deep bass
  3. i need it to be driven without an amp

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 8
To be honest, true DJ cans have a certain sound signature that works well with the processes used, say, while beat-matching. It sounds pretty colored, not unpleasant, but with a warm bassy sound, since there is a low-midbass hump, so the kicks really stand out. A good example of this is one of the headphones most DJs have probably used at least once: Sony VF700DJ.

I actually like the sound, however, the Sonys will fall apart quickly even when you aren't a DJ.

The m50s are great, but I don't think they would be overly useful when behind the decks, and they are still somewhat colored so they aren't terribly useful as monitors (they will work here, just be careful when working with your mixdowns, double/triple check on nearfileds). The HD25-1-II works fairly well as a monitor, but even less useful for a DJ since they don't physically behave like a DJ phone, and their sound is truly not meant for live mixing. They sound more refined than the m50.

I wonder when a DJ that can actually set the trend like Armin, if he is wearing them because Technics endorses him? All that aside, for them to work for live mixing trance, they need to be a proficient DJ can, and I suspect they are similarly colored, which makes them less likely to land on the ears of many head-fi readers. There are people that like this odd sound balance, and I certainly enjoyed the VF700DJs while mine were still functional, the overall strange freq. response made them a "fun" headphone for certain genres... not like the m50s, which are colored only enough to turn some people off them, but many can wear them as all-rounders,, like the HD25s, which truly are world class all-rounders (very portable too).

I guess true DJ headphones are either a career requirement or an aquired taste.

......I wish someone would pay me to use their headphones.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 8
Well, given your preferences and the somewhat accepted opinions on all the headphones you've listed, I would have to say that getting the PRO700MK2 would not be a good idea, as they seem to be a set that emphasizes bass to the point that it muffles the rest of the spectrum.

You would do better to get one of those Ultrasones, both HFI-580 and DJ1 are have very similar (near equal) specs, both can be driven without an amp (even if they do benefit a bit with further amping), and are known for having a good bass presence that doesn't smear the rest of the spectrum.
Overall, people that are in doubt between HFI-580 and DJ1 usually decide based on the cable (HFI-580 has a straight cable while DJ1 has a coiled cable, both have the same length) and looks. Still, if DJing is one of your purposes, you might be better served with the DJ1, which despite having similar specs to HFI-580, it has a higher SPL, or being louder :)

Ideally, you should try the headphones before you buy them, but not everyone has that possibility.

EDIT: yashu, I assume you're talking about the infamous Sony V700DJ, as there are no VF700DJ
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 8
  The HD25-1-II works fairly well as a monitor, but even less useful for a DJ since they don't physically behave like a DJ phone, and their sound is truly not meant for live mixing.

......I wish someone would pay me to use their headphones.

Sorry, i just notice this comment and would think it again if i were you... :)

70-80% of the professional dj's still use Sennheiser HD 25 for live mixing or even studio work. (i worked in broadcast studios so not just saying...)
It's simply the most accurate and comfortable headphone out there. It sounds amazing compare to any other headphones in the price range or even 2-3x price.
I am a dj as well and during the past 10 years owned and tried so many popular headphones (V-Moda M100, Audio Technica M50x, Sennheiser HD8, Pioneer HDJ 2000, Focal Spirit Pro... can't remember all) but i wasn't completely satisfied with them.
Audio Technica M50x is the 2nd best (sound/comfort) headphone i tried, but was a bit "coloured" to me.
... and i would recommend the Pioneer HDJ 2000 maybe which sounds detailed, but quite "flat". I haven't had the chance to try Technic RP-DJ 1200 or 1250 tho'...

A lot of top DJs use V-Moda M100 nowadays, but i think it's a kinda hard to make a good job with those. ...The big names might wearing them as a fashion accessories and just pretending djing when the headphones are on. For the "big festival" EDM style dj mixing they are okay, because their powerful (but boomy) sound... So, i wouldn't thrust V-moda when you need to make your perfect mix. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back