Why Stax is the best headphone I have ever heard.
Apr 14, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #16 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they spend all their time updating the OS and antivirus that when we switch them on we can't get ANY work out of them.

Sounds like someone needs to install ubuntu (or some other desktop linux distro).

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #17 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberstuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like someone needs to install ubuntu (or some other desktop linux distro).

Here here... This year I had to replace my 4/5 year old PC... Apparently there was a power spike and the UPS was on the blink so it not only took your the UPS, it took out the PSU on the PC and the MB... Nice hey?

Because it was an old pc, trying to pin point the exact cause of failure was probably going to be more expensive and time consuming then to just buy a new one...

So that's what I did... built a PC from scratch (again) and reused the drives from the old pc (no probs with them, thank god!)...All and all I spend about £350/400 but I got a good spec PC for my needs (quiet, and powerful enough to let me program pretty much whatever I want). It was quite an interesting thing building a PC again, something I hadn't done in years...

As for the devalue of PC's, well, I'm of the opinion whenever buying a PC or components buy the things that meet your -exact- needs, with the likes of Linux hanging about it's a sure thing that your needs won't change and Linux will make sure your PC is usable for a very long time...

Back to the thread subject, I've recently plunged in the Stax wagon... By doing that I spent about £500, but when it comes to audio, from what I've seen around Head-fi and other places, the value doesn't decrease like normal stuff (ie.: PC's...) and from what I've ascertained, keep things like Stax in perfect working order and in mint condition for a long time and not only will you recover what you've spent with them but more then likely if you eventually sell them off (which in my case is highly unlikely since I have a terrible nack for collecting and restoring things) you'll make a nice bit of profit.

Don't forget, they're a lot of people out there that, if the circumstances are right and equipment is good will pay from they're nose to have that "Vintage" stuff...Me being one of them...

As for sound quality of the Stax, I can't wait to get my hands on them and start enjoying that world...

J

Forgot to mention something, sometimes it's not even the sound of old stuff that attracts me, just looking at old vintage monitor headphones in perfect nick just makes me buy them so I can just look at them...Like an art painting hanging on the wall...
biggrin.gif

I know I know... Some people are going to read this and think....sssaaaaaaddd
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #18 of 120
Which Stax headphones would you recommend for someone new to them(Budget up to 600 but willing to go higher if need be)? How is the bass, does it have some of the similar problems as electrostat speakers?

Thanks

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #19 of 120
Like some of the others, I couldn't be happier leaving the PC enthusiast camp - there really was no end. Turning the tables, the same can be said with this hobby with a even higher expenditure
evil_smiley.gif
. But hi-fi is a more rewarding and enjoyable experience, at least for me.

To the OP: Welcome to Team Stax!
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #20 of 120
I also placed an order on a STAX 2050A basic system, I heard that this is a great setup for someone looking into getting into STAX and it's not that expensive either, should be here sometime next week or hopefully end of this week
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #21 of 120
Quote:

Perfect opportunity for an SR-003 and a small pro bias amp, or the SR-005 with phones and amp as a package. It will deliver great sound that is every bit as detailed and enjoyable as the SR-5 gold or Lambdas normal and signature that I have, except for the soundstage being somewhat smaller.

I have stopped recommending the SR-001 unless you mod it like Audiocats, because the SR-003 from my SRM-1 Mk2 Pro is simply better than a stock SR-001, while the modded SR-001 puts up a good fight for SQ.

You beat me to the SR-005A recommendation. Absurdly musical for the price, highly compact, no heat-issues in summer due to in-ear design... it gets too little praise around here. Probably the best $400 ever spent.

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #22 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by coldkeith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Stax headphones would you recommend for someone new to them(Budget up to 600 but willing to go higher if need be)? How is the bass, does it have some of the similar problems as electrostat speakers?

Thanks

A Lambda (low bias) and a SRM-1 (mk2 or not) would be a good combo. The Lambda's are somewhere around $250~$300, while the SRM-1 (non-mk2) is about the same.

I have hear both the Lambda and the 303, the 303 seems to be a bit sharpper, but it could be due to the amp (the Lambda was driven by a transformer box while the 303 was driven by a SRM-300).

of course, there is always the Koss ESP950 which comes with a lifetime warranty.......
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #24 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what audio set up did you used to have?

ive still been looking around for ebay deals on a stax setup. i was kinda confused over which ones required an additional speaker amplifier.

An SRD goes between a speaker amp and the headphones (and is very likely only normal bias), while an SRM is itself an amp (and quite likely pro bias).

Apr 15, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #25 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Lambda (low bias) and a SRM-1 (mk2 or not) would be a good combo. The Lambda's are somewhere around $250~$300, while the SRM-1 (non-mk2) is about the same.

I have hear both the Lambda and the 303, the 303 seems to be a bit sharpper, but it could be due to the amp (the Lambda was driven by a transformer box while the 303 was driven by a SRM-300).

of course, there is always the Koss ESP950 which comes with a lifetime warranty.......
evil_smiley.gif

Well, my setup is actually perfect then.

I have TWO SRM-1 Mk2 Pro, so one can drive my SR-Lambda normal bias and my SR-Lambda Signature at the same time, and the other can drive my SR-003 and my SR-5NB Gold at the same time. Add to that the SR-001 Mk2, and the Audiocats modded SR-001 Mk1, and the extra pair of SR-5NB gold with the SRD-7SB, I think I am all set.
very_evil_smiley.gif

My O2/KGSS money went into 2 pairs of Edition 9, 2 pairs of HF-1, and an RS-1/RS-2 and having them all re-cabled.
eek.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #26 of 120
the trends audio usb to coax converter is a must btw. that or some other external box that cleans up the signal.

see my thread in computers as source.

it has made all the difference to me. Bass is not on the Darth level of impact but not far from it either.

My pc is in the other room lol. Put a hole in the wall and all the electronics are on the other side.

If it were not for COD4 and it's excellent knifing I would sell off my gaming bits for a newer dac lol.

Apr 15, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #28 of 120
Go for it!
Sell the PC and buy a dirt cheap one that get the job done. Then spend all your money on Stax...

A bit extreme, but I am sure you will enjoy it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #29 of 120
Quote:

My O2/KGSS money went into 2 pairs of Edition 9, 2 pairs of HF-1, and an RS-1/RS-2 and having them all re-cabled.
eek.gif

Jesus!
biggrin.gif
Hope you enjoy all that!!

Apr 16, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #30 of 120
Huh, I would rather have the O2 but hey, that is 1 vs a collection. Of course, my Lambdas are enough for me alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back