Why so much fuss about IEMs?
Jan 2, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #31 of 87
I have done some serious downgrading in my home set-up over the past few months but I could never step down from using IEMs back to regular earbuds. The isolation aspect alone is too significant an improvement to pass it by.

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #32 of 87
In one word: convenience.

IEMs offer decent comfort and isolation (once you find the right tips and fitting for your ear canals), are small and very portable, and considering the crappy sources we carry on the go, they don't sound that bad.

However they have a price/sound quality ratio that sucks and pales against bigger and unfortunately less isolating phones. I'd never be using any IEMs to listen at home on any of my "big" rigs, in the same way I wouldn't be carrying a DAP+portable amp+big cans on my commutes.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #35 of 87
Clearly IEMs are not for everyone, but they are important for me.

I travel on the London Underground almost everyday and uses the trains, buses and coaches all too frequently. The isolation is important to keep noisy chattering commuters out of my head when I just want to relax which also means I can also listen to my music at a lower volume level.

And because most IEMs don't leak as much as traditional open headphones or earbuds, I won't be pissing people off. They are also more comfortable (to me at least) than earbuds and much more convenient than headphones.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #36 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reason why IEMs are talked about so much is people can't find an IEM they like enough to shut up and stick with that one forever and ever like they can with headphones IMO.

That's exactly what I was thinking about when I started the thread!

Quote:

There's too many factors: isolation, looks, comfort, sound sig, price, sales, etc...

I think I may just stick with the ER4p forever cuz I'm tired of always being tempted to spend 300-400 bucks for things that go in my ears and travel with me everywhere... I really don't know if there is an upgrade that is worth it when I consider it from the cost-benefit ratio. More comfort, sure, but the olives are nice. Better cable? Sure, but if I don't think about it I don't notice the microphonics. So why spend more money if I'm content now? Same thing for the OP with the Kramer-modded Koss phones. If you're happy, why spend more?

People sometimes talk about their IEMs as if they were aural magic, I was wondering if I was missing out on something.

Also wondering if I should open the SCL4s I ordered or just ebay them off un-opened. I still haven't quite decided. I do want to try the olives.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #37 of 87
Quote:

I'm anything but a headbanger. But I do listen to New Age music that sometimes includes drums. One piece I particularly enjoy has a rainstorm and a rolling clap of thunder at the beginning. I miss that thunder when it's not there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noremedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would that music be by BT?

Innovators by Sam Cardon and Kurt Bestor

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #38 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

People sometimes talk about their IEMs as if they were aural magic, I was wondering if I was missing out on something.

Also wondering if I should open the SCL4s I ordered or just ebay them off un-opened. I still haven't quite decided. I do want to try the olives.

I guess that people doing so have not been exposed to proper sounding big phones rigs, nor speakers ones. IEMs are full of compromises sound-wise.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #39 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess that people doing so have not been exposed to proper sounding big phones rigs, nor speakers ones. IEMs are full of compromises sound-wise.

Many people would say the same in regards to headphones themselves in comparison to speakers. I've owned and been exposed to quite a few "proper sounding big phone rigs" and I think IEM's have just as much relevance as regular headphones. IEM's are obviously not for everyone but neither should they be discounted simply because they don't fit your (your is a general term here, not directed at Cool_Torpedo) personal preference.

Personally I don't make the same distinction between full-size headphones and IEM's that many people seem to make. Both have compromises but I generally love headphones, listening via headphones is an intensely personal experience for me and I've found that in some ways IEM's help me connect with the music even more so than regular full-sized headphones. I would personally take most of the top-tier universal IEM's over most of the full-sized headphones I've heard within approximately the same price range.

In the end it's about personal preference and in many cases the intended use that determines how much one values IEM's.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #40 of 87
Quote:

Reason why IEMs are talked about so much is people can't find an IEM they like enough to shut up and stick with that one forever and ever like they can with headphones IMO.

Quote:

IEM's are one of the few areas that headphones are continually moving forward. It's a relatively new arena with new innovations coming on a fairly regular basis. Full-sized headphones, especially at the upper end have been rather stagnant for years so it stands to reason that there is more "movement" to new IEM's when they're introduced. If and when Sennheiser introduces their next top of the line headphone just watch how many people will be clamoring to buy that.

Quote:

There's too many factors: isolation, looks, comfort, sound sig, price, sales, etc...

I think I may just stick with the ER4p forever cuz I'm tired of always being tempted to spend 300-400 bucks for things that go in my ears and travel with me everywhere... I really don't know if there is an upgrade that is worth it when I consider it from the cost-benefit ratio. More comfort, sure, but the olives are nice. Better cable? Sure, but if I don't think about it I don't notice the microphonics. So why spend more money if I'm content now? Same thing for the OP with the Kramer-modded Koss phones. If you're happy, why spend more?

Quote:

Maybe you are, maybe you aren’t. IEM’s aren’t for everyone but they certainly do produce aural magic for some. If they don’t do it for you (again, not directed at anyone in particular) I don’t think it gives you reason to judge them inferior in general.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #41 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's true: Earbuds are easier to put in the ear, and just as portable as iems. Too bad that long term use of buds almost inevitably results in tinnitus and eventual hearing loss.

An iem that fits properly isolates you from external sounds which means that when you play your music you can play it at a lower volume level. Earbuds leak sound like crazy forcing you play your music at unsafe, high volume levels to hear it. There is not an otolaryngologist (MD) or audiologist (D.Aud) who approves of the use of earbuds because of this. As far as I am concerned, preserving my hearing is more important than having the convenience of not waiting for the foam tips to expand.

X2

Quote:

Huh? you're making a huge assumption there, that I'm automatically going to push up the volume excessively with an earbud. If anything, I think maybe I might turn up the volume with the IEM so I can hear the bass and then everything else is louder. But, in reality, I just don't like loud music, so I don't feel I'm endangering my ears when I listen.

the great thing about High End IEMs is that you can hear all those details at very low volumes. i rarely play my iems over 75% volume, but i have played them at say 25% volume and i can still hear those details in the music. with earbuds that is practically impossible to do.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #42 of 87
my question to the OP is have you ever listened to high-end universal IEMs?

the top right now are the Shure SE530, Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Pro, Sennheiser IE8, and Westone W3.

there are also models below them that are still very good by other makers such as Klipsch, Etymonics etc.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #43 of 87
You know what I just love them. I have been listening to all kind of headphones for years and have stayed away from the smaller ones. My wife had a ipod classic laying around and i picked it up and man i think this thing is great got me a set of Etys ER-4p and a APS cable and I like these as much or better as a full size rig.Really lets the music in very cool thing.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #44 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEMs are practical, portable, noise canceling, and don't make you look like you got lost on your way to the recording studio. You also don't have to worry about other people using them and breaking them since your "ear germs" get on them and too many people are germophobes anymore to dare.

when it come to iems i think u have to be a germophile.

there used to be an office set of cheap earbuds (the hard plastic non ear canal type) that about half a dozen or so people used in our office from their pc's but i started getting ear infections the next day after just a few minutes use where i would get swelling and soreness in my ear that lasted about 4 days each time.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #45 of 87
Why so much fuss about IEMs is the same reason Why so much fuss about Headphones...otherwise everyone can just purchase speaker studio systems,and enjoy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back