Why so much fuss about IEMs?
Jan 2, 2009 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

Earwax

Headphoneus Supremus
A quick scan of the first page and all but 2 of the threads are about IEMs.

Doesn't anyone use ordinary headphones or earbuds anymore? IEMs are fine for noisy situations, airplane, train, noisy machinery. But, given a choice, it seems so much easier (and less expensive) to get really good sound out of conventional headphones.

What am I missing?

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 87
Who wants to wear full size headphones walking down the street?

It is ok when you are a teenager, but as a 50 year old you look .... kind of stupid.

As well as it is also not practical to carry full size cans.

Also I listen to my D2 in the office and EIM are the way to go.

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 87
IEMs are practical, portable, noise canceling, and don't make you look like you got lost on your way to the recording studio. You also don't have to worry about other people using them and breaking them since your "ear germs" get on them and too many people are germophobes anymore to dare.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A quick scan of the first page and all but 2 of the threads are about IEMs.

Doesn't anyone use ordinary headphones or earbuds anymore? IEMs are fine for noisy situations, airplane, train, noisy machinery. But, given a choice, it seems so much easier (and less expensive) to get really good sound out of conventional headphones.

What am I missing?

You answered your own question. Portable headphones and earbuds are inferior to IEMs on the plane or train. If you are outside a noisy environment you should be looking at a good open back instead of a portable headphone.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by gwilo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who wants to wear full size headphones walking down the street?

It is ok when you are a teenager, but as a 50 year old you look .... kind of stupid.

As well as it is also not practical to carry full size cans.

Also I listen to my D2 in the office and EIM are the way to go.

I'm not talking about full-size, rather things the size of KSC-75, PX-100. I'm 53 and I've been known to walk around wearing KSC75s or MDRG73. But, at work, I try not to be noticed with earphones and use earbuds instead.

If I'm walking around, I truly don't feel safe with the full isolation of an IEM. Also, I've been disappointed with the sound of IEMs so far. When a Kramer'd KSC75 sounds so good, why would I want uncomfortable and lesser sounding IEMs? I'm not going to spend megabucks on a portable headphone, I'd be too freaked out about the likelyhood of loss or damage.

With the right tips, my old E3Cs sound OK, but still not as good as KSC35s.

I did order those SCL4s on sale, but now that I see a thread about people who are disappointed with them I'm wondering if they'll be any better than any other IEM I tried.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 87
Quote:

I'm not going to spend megabucks on a portable headphone . . . .

Well, there's your problem right there.
biggrin.gif

P.S. Another place where IEM's excel is in the gym.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEMs are practical, portable, noise canceling, and don't make you look like you got lost on your way to the recording studio.

I don't find them particulay practical, stopping to scrunch down a foam tip before sticking it in my ear and then waiting for it to expand is annoying. Earbuds are just as portable, maybe more so since I can just stuff them in my pocket without a case, the IEM needs a case because of the foamies.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 87
If you're worried about hearing outside noises (as I am when walking to class in LA), you should pick up either open-air headphones (Grado SR60/80) or a good set of earbuds (not IEM) like the Yuin OK3s and such.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #10 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there's your problem right there.
biggrin.gif

Well, how much would one have to spend just to equal the sound quality of a $17 KSC75? (Bear in mind, I'm insanely in love with my Kramer modded 75s.)

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 87
iems are nice cuz they can easily fit in a pocket and on a flight or travel keep you in your own world at home I would prefer big cans or speakers but my esw10jpn's travel with me too

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 87
Quote:

I did order those SCL4s on sale, but now that I see some thread about people who are disappointed with them I'm wondering if they'll be any better.

Those people are generally bassheads or people used to more bass from their phones. I'm expecting a neutral sound when mine arrive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
I don't find them particulay practical, stopping to scrunch down a foaming before sticking it in my ear and then waiting for it to expand is annoying. Earbuds are just as portable, maybe more so since I can just stuff them in my pocket without a case, the IEM needs a case because of the foamies.

I don't use foamies so I don't have that problem. In addition, not all foamies have that requirement (Shure Olives). As well, IEM cases are small enough to fit in your pocket (if the manufacturer wasn't a moron), although I personally carry them wherever my laptop goes, so I have a laptop bag I'm carrying around anyway.

Now that I think of it, what full-size headphone fits in your pocket?
tongue.gif

Also, stuffing any sensitive audio equipment in your pocket is just.....careless. If you want to do that, buy some Skullcandies or something that actually deserves that kind of treatment.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 87
Quote:

Well, how much would one have to spend just to equal the sound quality of a $17 KSC75? (Bear in mind, I'm insanely in love with my Kramer modded 75s.)

lol you know they were on sale at radio shack for 5 bucks not too long ago?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #14 of 87
Its just that IEMs are more portable, more Isolation and more comfort~
Ive been using ESW9 for about half a year now, yeah, they look good, sound good, portable...but I much prefer my Westone 3 and Klipsch image x10 for portable use~ you know, I work out in the gym all the time and ESW9 just won't isolate surrounding sound that well, plus there just something to it thats not convenient, plus most of those headphones give me a groove on my head and hurts my ears after a few hours of use...
I don't find it annoying to stick something in my ear, its just my ear~I stick foam in my ear when im studying anyways...

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 87
Quote:

If you love your KSC-75 so much then why bother changing? Obviously IEMs were never meant for everyone as there's so my tradeoff for super portability and discreetness.

KSC-75 sounds good, really it is good. But it can't touch the level of refinement offered by high end IEMs. About the only thing good about KSC-75 is that they are insanely cheap against everything else in the market out there, and they offer "open-feel" soundstage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back