Why so many Darth Beyers up for sale?
Aug 14, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #76 of 93
Synergy is key. My Darths are unlistenable with USB Monica. The mid-bass is subwoofer-like. (Which incidentally is why I believe that Towert turned against his Darths - his Paradesia DAC uses the same Philips non-OS DAC chip.) For a warm DAC and tube amp like the EMP, look to neutral cans like DT880s.

I still very much enjoy my Darths with my micro-DAC and Millet.

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #78 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oops..i just purchased my first darth beyers. why?
- cos it looks good
- i didnt come across this thread before i bought it
- im a complete and utter noob

ahh well, whats done is done. hopefully it doesnt sound too bad. if it does i'll just hang it up, put on something else and look at it.

hopefully its something to look at

orangem, there are many happy owners of Darth Beyers. They sound very nice IMHO. Warm, bassy and compelling. I suggest trust your own ears and don't prejudge on FOTM or no longer FOTM trends.

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #80 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this thread might be responsible for 2 unsold vdx3 darths at headphile.

Well I think the upcoming V4 Darth has something to do with that as well...

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #82 of 93
^^ for every headphone there are those who love it and those who do not. this thread just happens to be geared toward the latter crowd, but there are lots of people who like the darths.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #83 of 93
I will add one last comment to a thread that otherwise has trended towards crapulous. (And for the other side of the story, the Post your Pics thread is recommended.)

The belief that the DT770s cannot be so radically changed by Darthing is seemingly logical - but actually not true. I first heard Shigzeo's DT770s and disliked them such that I changed my mind about buying Darths and got the DT880/600s. No regrets on the latter - still my favourite cans.

But I did eventually spring for the Darths (Skylab's V3 Wenges and matching stand pointed their finger at me and said you know what you have to do. I did.) It was like comparing day and night.

Others might like the DT770s. I am only saying that the sound signature is so changed by Darthing as to be essentially a different headphone. In my experience and to my taste also much better YMMV.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #84 of 93
It was never my intention to start a thread bashing darths. I think the title was pretty clear. I think I got my answer and there are three types of people who sell their darths:

1. Some people are overwhelmed by the bass, or do not have gear that meshes well with their darth (also, many folks who sell them are regular darths and not the deep cup darths which apparently have a more balanced nature)

2. Some folks are darth collectors and amass several pairs of darths and end up selling them to obtain newer model darths with different wood/cable configurations

3. Some folks may have financial issues and the darths are worth a pretty penny and somewhat easy to sell to curious head-fiers (like myself)

I'm looking forward to testing out some deep cups very soon and I will definitely keep an open mind during that time.

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #85 of 93
Falang - you should become aware there is a 4th group - those who sell their new Darths before they have burned-in. They (as stock dt770) sound like crap, until you get past 115-125 hours..........then they bloom. O.k. wiseguys - I said BLOOM, not boom
smily_headphones1.gif
. To me, stock dt770 are for gaming - not music.

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #86 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gentlemen, describing the sound as ass does not fit with the general tone of discussions on this site. Perhaps, be a little more specific on which attributes sounded poorly to you.

Well I think I understood what these gentlemen were trying to convey. Perhaps, the immortal and growing gap between the nuances of the common language which divides Britain and America is casting its shadow over the obvious. In Britain we would assume that Duggeh was comparing the sound of the Darth whatsits with the sounds made by a donkey or mule. Most of us would accept that donkeys and mules may be known for some excellent qualities, but musicality is not one of those qualities. As Duggeh is an American he uses the term ass whereas we Brits would use the word arse or rectum. Now, most of us, including His Holiness the Pope, I suspect would associate the rectum with the lower end of the aural spectrum. I can think of fewer bass notes that are as distracting as the sound of wind forcing it's way out of the rectal muscles. I think that few, apart from a few bassheads, would find this this rumbling bass pleasant, or indeed desirable. Thus we can assume that Duggeh was indicating his dislike of the Darth thingammyjigs.

Hope this helps.
darthsmile.gif
dt880smile.png
ksc75smile.gif
::

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #87 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarpia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. As Duggeh is an American he uses the term ass ...
Thus we can assume that Duggeh was indicating his dislike of the Darth thingammyjigs.

darthsmile.gif
dt880smile.png
ksc75smile.gif
::

And his post was full of ghetto slang crap-talk (not educated English at all), and therefore you can safely bet that he does NOT speak for the majority of Darth owners, or Head-Fi'ers, or Americans, for that matter.

I found his post unpleasant -- disgusting, actually -- to read.

And he can save his retorts, as I will ignore them.

BTW -- the new Darth V4 Terminators are a whole new ballgame in Darth sound!
Anybody with any interest in Darths, should try them out, for a pleasant surprise....
darthsmile.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #89 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anybody with any interest in Darths, should try them out, for a pleasant surprise....
darthsmile.gif

Well I don't imagine they could get any worse.

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #90 of 93
This thread been dragged up eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarpia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As Duggeh is an American...

Profoundly incorrect. Especially seeing as it says next to my name where I am from.

--

Quote:

And he can save his retorts, as I will ignore them.

You might ignore me, but other readers might not, so I shall make the effort.

Quote:

And his post was full of ghetto slang crap-talk (not educated English at all), and therefore you can safely bet that he does NOT speak for the majority of Darth owners, or Head-Fi'ers, or Americans, for that matter.

Humourous word choice and deliberately roundabout sentences are ghetto talk? I didn't even snap my fingers in the air and say westside. I don't speak for the majority of Darth owners, I don't speak for the minority either, I speak for me. Do you speak for the majority of darth owners? If you do then thats a big assertion.

I don't speak for the majority of head-fiers either, and I don't speak for any Americans, as that would be only slightly difficult.

Quote:

I found his post unpleasant -- disgusting, actually -- to read.

Because of the language used? Because I don't like Darth Beyers? Or because I besmirch your idea of the majority of Americans, Head-fiers and Darth owners?

Quote:

darthsmile.gif

So.... A new ballgame, a pleasant surprise. Would that mean a whole different kind of sound as in is totally different from the V3, or just a different take on the same sound? This last sentence from you is curious because it comes to the praise of the newer darths and how they are improved over the V3 in whole new ways, despite your earlier being utterly dismayed that someone didn't like the V3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back