Why so many Darth Beyers up for sale?
Aug 6, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #61 of 93
"hence sounding like ass" - what the hell does this mean? It's been posted three or four times in this thread - but no-one has explained what they mean by it. Sorry, but I was born and raised in an English speaking country, have a life-long interest in audio and have NO idea what is meant with this term. In fact I've no idea what it means either inside or outside the realm of audio. Furthermore, I've already stated essentially the same in another post - and still the same rudeness pervades this thread.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #62 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Duggeh's originally post pretty much hit the nail on the head. The headphones have horrible bloated bass that over powers the rest of the audio spectrum. They have a very flatulent bass note, hence sounding like ass.

So the bass is way too overpowering for your preference. I see you have or had them in your profile as well as the D5000's. How do they compare? I have read that the D5000's are strong in the bass department as well. I hope I am not hijacking the thread by asking for this comparison.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #63 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the bass is way too overpowering for your preference. I see you have or had them in your profile as well as the D5000's. How do they compare? I have read that the D5000's are strong in the bass department as well. I hope I am not hijacking the thread by asking for this comparison.

I find the D5000 to be a much better sounding headphone. When they were fresh out of the box the bass was a bit overpowering but after a bit of break in the bass calmed down. On some material it can still be a bit much but nothing like the Darths. The bass is just bloated and a mess overpowering the midrange. Even with some eq it still didn't sound good. I really think the problem lies in the fact that under the wood exterior is a DT770. I think anyone considering a standard Darth should listen to a DT770 first. And they still sound like ass
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #64 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because new users to this site with a bit of money come asking in their noobishness and newness for a set of headphones that are comfy and have "sick wicked bass" or some varient of phrase thereof.

A bunch of people who have briefly heard of, or who might even own and like, the darth beyers mention them because they are renound for their "crazy mad bass whack yo" or varient of phrase thereof.

Person in question then hums and haws about the money involved but eventually drops the coin on them because other cans mentioned like the H2 are to rediculously expensive or like the HD650 aren't respected too much on the basis of "bonkers rumbling bass thump" or some varient of phrase thereof.

Darth beyers arrive from headphile, user loves "crazy pounding subwoofer on the head effect" or some varient of prase thereof until about 2 or 3 weeks later, which is either 13 or 20 days after new toy love syndrome wears thin. User listens to the headphones with ears instead of "blat bass honk trumps fo shizzle" or some varient of phrase thereof, and realises that in fact the Darth Beyer is to the ear what a train accident is to sex appeal, or what an Aga is to aerodynamics, or what a large bore oil rig drilling bit is to chess. IE: A useless pile of rubbish.

Darth Beyers sound horrible. Unless you're so much of a basshead with an inability to critically listen at all, that you are incapable of recognising it. They can actually cause motion sickness and the death of nearby children. Avoid them.

2734984067_ed13b8a810.jpg

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #66 of 93
I dunno what someone said about music sounding like it was remixed by 50 cent is pretty descriptive. I don't feel like any music coming from a piece of gear should sound like it was remixed by ANYONE much less 50 cent (Unless it actually was remixed by someone). If I want to hear something remixed by 50 cent I'll buy something remixed by 50 cent.

Some positive stuff:
"I listen to classical/jazz" with them. Which implies they don't mesh well with other genres for that person.

They are closed headphones that destroy things at their price point. Uhhh at like 500-~1k you have a lot of options for great closed headphones.. I mean above that price range you really only have ED9s/L3000s/R10s that are closed headphones. You have everything else that is closed still to contend with... so that's a pretty radical statement to make.

Given how polarized people are on the subject of Darths I don't think people can even make the conclusive statement except perhaps on a very personal and individual level that Darths are an improvement on pre-Darth Beyers. So right there you have some closed headphones (Stock Beyers) that can at least compete with Darth Beyers for a large segment of the head-fi population. I guess they are way cheaper though so maybe you can say that are unable to compete at the same price point.... but I don't think that's in Darth Beyers' favor ;p

Anyway to summarize, you'd have a much more compelling point if Darths were cheap, but they aren't.

Maybe if you subtracted the amount of cost attributed to looks improvement... but that would probably be 98 percent of the mod's cost.

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #67 of 93
Darths are a closed headphone which costs a lot less than Sony R10.............if a user objects to the closed Darths - the obvious answer has to be Sony R10 - a wonderful closed substitute for those of a bass-lite prediliction.
Someone had previously mentioned AKG k271S, and others had mentioned Denon's ..........I've had both and then sold them without any feelings of loss whatsoever. I was simply happy that someone else wanted to try them. I'm much more satisfied with my current headphones, and have no inclination to re-buy anything I've sold.

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #68 of 93
What?

What about Stock Beyers, Audio Technica w1000/w5000/L3000, the JVC cans, Ultrasones, Sennheiser HD25s, Sony CD3000, Stax 4070, lots of other headphones etc?

That's it then huh? Some Denons, Darth Beyers, one AKG headphone and R10s?

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #69 of 93
Duggeh's post, while funny, is of course, simply his opinion, and will NOT be shared universally, which is quite clear from the many follow up posts. Why? Because we all hear things differently, and have very different ideas about what sounds good. There is absolutely nothing that is "fact" about Duggeh's post - it's just a statement of his own view, to which he is clearly entitled.

With the comedic prose reduced to the basic argument he makes, I found over time that I, too, felt that the REGULAR Darth Beyers are a little too colored. They are nowhere near as bad as Duggeh states, in my opinion, but too colored nonetheless. Fortunately, the Deep-cup Darth Beyers are not colored in this way, and are truly remarkable sounding headphones that compare very favorably to other good closed headphones (and I own, have owned, or have heard the majority of these).

But even in terms of the regular Darth Beyers, some people will appreciate their coloration, and there is nothing at all wrong with that. Some will not appreciate it, and they will sell their sets, which simply let other people have a chance to try them.

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #71 of 93
Yes, I think that music that is already very heavy in the mid-upper bass, where the regular Darth Beyers have a response peak, are not served well.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #72 of 93
I agree with Duggeh entirely. I think he was a little too subtle!

But people just hear differently and/or have different subjective criteria for what they like in headphones. Knowing peoples' different headfi aesthetic is useful for integrating their comments into your own decision-making.

I think of likeing Darths, or K501s on the other end of the spectrum, as a sort of lens through which I can see whether specific headfiers various impressions/reviews are useful to me. I tend to find myself in agreement on much gear with headfiers who like HD600s more than HD650s, enjoy AKGs, and are baffled by the popularity of Darths (to pick a few examples). When looking for info in preparation for buying something new, I will give Pataburd's views more weight (FOR ME!) than someone else who might look to Skylab's well-written and meticulously observed reviews.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #73 of 93
you know what sounds like ass? my ass.

as you can see, many things can sound like ass... leave it to yourself to figure out what is and what is not
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #75 of 93
Duggeh IS a funny person. I generally agree with him.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

While Stax are my favorite, AKG 501, 601, 701 and a very rare 340 which I still regret selling to Voltron, next, Senns 600, 650 then the OPEN Darths.

They are not good loud and closed. Nope. Bass is too much. Shrill sounding, ouchie.

For low level listening, with a good dac and a STRONG amp like an SQ-84, they are lovely. I believe that the source and amp must have strong midrange characteristics for this to work. Would I spend $700 on them again? No. $350 maybe for some deep opens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back