Why so many Darth Beyers up for sale?
Aug 5, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #48 of 93
I guess it is Berkeley-talk. While I might surmise what it may mean - I don't talk that way, nor does anyone I know. What is the correct translation?
Truthfully, the new level of posting here continues to sink to ever lower and lower lows.

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #49 of 93
I don't see why "ass" would be taboo. That's like people complaining about people calling chinese "chinese" and to instead use "oriental".

It's about being so "politically correct" that the black and white doesn't exist anymore -even if it does.

As long the author doesn't bathe in such comments at all times and/ore qualifying everything as "super" and "crap", why wouldn't they be able to use "ass"?

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #50 of 93
one person's "crap" can mean another person's "amazing." it may be just a rephrasing of a cliche but it's actually true. a person who likes their bass lean will likely call any bassy headphone "crap" while a person like me (basshead by head-fi standards...like most ppl in the world) would call it amazing. we're all well aware that darths are made primarily for the bass-loving crowd.

frankly, i don't even heed the comments of people who call $500 headphones "crap." obviously there's some kind of bias in their statement. it would do us much more good if you could explain what you mean by "crap" so we can get an idea of what to expect. i'm sure people would prefer to see more discussion of criteria such as resolution, detail, tonal balance, soundstage, airiness, etc etc... instead of redundant one-word summaries of the sound. this is a complex hobby and sound quality can't be described by just one sentence, let alone a single word.

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #51 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because new users to this site with a bit of money come asking in their noobishness and newness for a set of headphones that are comfy and have "sick wicked bass" or some varient of phrase thereof.

A bunch of people who have briefly heard of, or who might even own and like, the darth beyers mention them because they are renound for their "crazy mad bass whack yo" or varient of phrase thereof.

Person in question then hums and haws about the money involved but eventually drops the coin on them because other cans mentioned like the H2 are to rediculously expensive or like the HD650 aren't respected too much on the basis of "bonkers rumbling bass thump" or some varient of phrase thereof.

Darth beyers arrive from headphile, user loves "crazy pounding subwoofer on the head effect" or some varient of prase thereof until about 2 or 3 weeks later, which is either 13 or 20 days after new toy love syndrome wears thin. User listens to the headphones with ears instead of "blat bass honk trumps fo shizzle" or some varient of phrase thereof, and realises that in fact the Darth Beyer is to the ear what a train accident is to sex appeal, or what an Aga is to aerodynamics, or what a large bore oil rig drilling bit is to chess. IE: A useless pile of rubbish.

Darth Beyers sound horrible. Unless you're so much of a basshead with an inability to critically listen at all, that you are incapable of recognising it. They can actually cause motion sickness and the death of nearby children. Avoid them.

RFLOL! typical Duggeh, best post ever!!!

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #52 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Decel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see why "ass" would be taboo. That's like people complaining about people calling chinese "chinese" and to instead use "oriental".

It's about being so "politically correct" that the black and white doesn't exist anymore -even if it does.

As long the author doesn't bathe in such comments at all times and/ore qualifying everything as "super" and "crap", why wouldn't they be able to use "ass"?

confused_face(1).gif
confused_face(1).gif

I looked in vain for a giant, heaving, gesticulating "What???!!!" smiley for this one.

Back on message, how different do the various Darth species sound from one another? They certainly are lovely bits of wood.

o

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #54 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to hear what headphones those that have been "tortured" by Darth are fond of. This would be more helpful in distinguishing different tastes.

My "other phones" phones are Grado PS-1, Grado HP1000/HP-1, Grado HP1000/HP-2 and an ALO mod'd HF-1. I've had the SennHD-650, ATH-W11R, ATH-ESW9 and a few other pair of Darths open and closed. I sold them to explore other phones or Darths of other woods. I currently have a sweet pair of ebony V3 standard cup Darths.

I guess I really don't feel the need to defend my right to spend my money according to my tastes and my preferences. If this is considered noobish and unsophisticated by some obviously more experienced HFers- too bad.

Generally, I find that most folks I've interacted with here are at a different stage of the Head-Fi journey and may actually enjoy different things - to definitively label something you may have experienced once or twice "ass" appears to me the definition of noobish behavior.

BTW, for anyone with an open mind - I like the Darth's just fine with my Zana Deux, Eddie Current EC-01 and even on some older Meiers Audio gear I no longer have. I have not listened to them yet on my Melos SHA Gold but I intend to soon. There are plenty of impressions and descriptions of why I and many others like the DB's in the "Post pictures of your Darth Beyer" thread.

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #55 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Decel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Head-Fi is an amazing and rare internet forum where people more often than not have rational and articulate discussions. Just thought I would remind or notify the new users on how this community generally operates. Maybe I'm out of line but that's how I see it.

Also, its my thread so I can cry if I want to.

Back on topic: Deep Cup owners: any genres of music these cans do not mesh with? Also, anyone compare deep cups to the famous denons?

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #56 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back on topic: Deep Cup owners: any genres of music these cans do not mesh with? Also, anyone compare deep cups to the famous denons?

The deep-cups, like the normal Darths, and like D2000, D5000, PRO 750, or any other can that gives good bass response -- does not sound very good with music that is recorded as "dance" (or whatever type similar) music -- all you end up hearing is the THUMP-THUMP-THUMP-THUMP -- and it is not pleasant to listen to something that makes your ears actually hurt.

You know the kind I mean.
If you like that type of "music" then you need cans that are bass-light to save your eardrums.
This stuff might be bearable, or even sound decent, in a speaker system, but with headphones it is too much.
You hear this stuff in those "rolling-boom-box" cars, the ones with a trunk-full of sub-woofers. Their hearing to be ruined.
No surprise that people that listen to this stuff, probably do not like Darths. This is better for Grados, for instance.

The Darth PIC thread has many impressions and comparos with other cans, but, basically, the deep-cups go deeper, with better highs, better SQ in general, compared to regular Darths -- enough to make them worth the extra $$$, and making them one of the best-sounding overall cans available, according to myself and many other Head-Fi'ers.
And explains why they get snapped-up off the Headphile deals page rather quickly by those "in the know".

While I enjoyed the D2000 and D5000, I found the deep-cup Darths to sound better than they do -- and also the Ultrasone PRO 750 and 2500, too, (to *me* anyway) -- so I no longer have any Denons, which I truly loved, but now have sold.
The deep-cups and PRO 750 both go to deeper bass depths (if it's on the recording), with no mid-bass "hump" to intrude on the mids -- it just sounds like live music really does.
The regular Darths do sound okay, but for the ultimate listening experience, the deeps and PRO 750's just do it better.

Bottom line, the deep-cups reproduce bass lower than any cans that I have ever used (thgough the PRO 750 comes very close) -- and I can hear bass down below 20 hz (tested), which many people cannot hear, which makes me (and others) appreciate these cans.

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #57 of 93
I've owned many other headphones, but don't see the need to list them - however, among those I've sold for being insufficient include Denon D2000 (and by extension, include D5000)), and AKG k271 which recent posts (of others) state as being preferable.
A recent post also alluded to "political correctness" - where the hell does that come from? I had spoken to the unfortunate circumstance of supposed Berkeleyites being unable to communicate in socially acceptable English. I certainly never have used the word "ass" as being a descriptable term related to audio..........and certainly NOT in everyday communication. It's an anathema to me.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #58 of 93
Hmmm..... it's funny that thus far only those who appreciate the Darth's have given descriptive examples of what they enjoy about them. The haters seem to be quiet. Haters, I have been thinking of buying a pair for a Christmas present to myself so explain why they sound like "ass" and why the kids should be kept distant.
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #59 of 93
Aside from flame, to the OP's question. It's just an accident i think+it's always a lot of people selling their stuff this time of the year.
Back to the flame. DB\DT 770 are not your cozy all-arounder. It's good only for certain types of music. Also it's critical to source material quality and whole setup level. But when DB it's good, it's REALLY good and really hard to beat by other phones.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #60 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm..... it's funny that thus far only those who appreciate the Darth's have given descriptive examples of what they enjoy about them. The haters seem to be quiet. Haters, I have been thinking of buying a pair for a Christmas present to myself so explain why they sound like "ass" and why the kids should be kept distant.
wink.gif

I think Duggeh's originally post pretty much hit the nail on the head. The headphones have horrible bloated bass that over powers the rest of the audio spectrum. They have a very flatulent bass note, hence sounding like ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back