why Shure SRH750DJ needs amp to drive? its impedance is only 32ohm
Jan 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sz1999

New Head-Fier
So i got Shure SRH750DJ and plug in clip+, zune, sony mp3, it sounds low volume and no detail. Then I plug it to fiio E9, SRH750DJ suddenly is wonderful. So why it needs amp, the spec says it is only 32ohm impedance, i thought any portable player can easily drive 32ohm. Any tech guru please help explain.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 9
impedance doesn't tell the whole story.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Despite the low impendence and high sensitivity rating of the SRH750DJ, you'll find them harder to drive due in part to the driver size(50mm).  50mm are is among the larger sizes of drivers available, as such require more voltage to power than headphones with smaller drivers.  So lower output devices like your clip+ or Zune would struggle to power the Shures properly.

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Despite the low impendence and high sensitivity rating of the SRH750DJ, you'll find them harder to drive due in part to the driver size(50mm).  50mm are is among the larger sizes of drivers available, 

I have used the JVC HARX700's (wich have a big driver) with zune, ipods and they can drive it easily despite the driver is 50mm. 
Curious. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I have used the JVC HARX700's (wich have a big driver) with zune, ipods and they can drive it easily despite the driver is 50mm. 
Curious. 

That is a good point, as many users here find the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 fairly easy to drive despite the fact that they utilize an even larger driver(53mm) than the SRH750DJ.  Hmm, maybe it has somthing to do with its maximum power input of 3000mW.

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 9
I know bass heavy headphone will require more current to get that bass tight and controlled. I think that's why the PRODJ100 responds well to an amp (but they do not need one). So the Shures' are bass heavy so maybe that's why they require more power? LOL I am not the best and finding out this stuff.

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
So i got Shure SRH750DJ and plug in clip+, zune, sony mp3, it sounds low volume and no detail. Then I plug it to fiio E9, SRH750DJ suddenly is wonderful. So why it needs amp, the spec says it is only 32ohm impedance, i thought any portable player can easily drive 32ohm. Any tech guru please help explain.

Hey, I have these plugged directly into my laptop, havent tried it with my iPod because the headphone jack isn't working on it but I ordered an E7 for myself.  How does the sound change with the E9?  How does the bass change?  I am seriously hoping the dac/amp gives me a bit of boom in the bass, hopefully it does.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 9
You can get replacement jacks for the Ipod relatively cheap on eBay. I would look there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back