Why pay more than $30 for cans?
Sep 20, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #16 of 22
Tdock, I agree with you on many points. If I could have paid $100 and gotten a similar sounding pair as my HD650s, I would have jumped on it, of course (if only I were rich enough not to care!). From what I've read, the "bang for buck" ratio drops considerably as you go higher in the price range. So yes, I totally agree that you can find some way good cans for less than $300.

I do take reviews with several grains of salt, and typically spend months researching before making a decision. I just see a lot of jargon being tossed around (not only in this industry), and I guess I was feeling a little cranky when I posted earlier. Anyway, people are entitled to enjoy what they want to enjoy; I don't want to begrudge anyone for their pleasure in this hobby. God knows there are people who would scoff at a measly $350 for the Senns.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #18 of 22
This reminds me of my first headphone review. Ugh, bad memories. I had almost nothing to compare them to, so they sounded "amazing" to me. This was going from some Phillips earbuds, to some Sony Fontopia earbuds and then to the....Bose Triports. Of course the difference is going to be HUGE. This is where it gets weird...I remember buying some HD-555's later and was never impressed with them at the time and preferred the Triports(!). Perhaps it was because I was using them only with a CD player and had no clue about amps. This was also back before mp3 players were common.

What I'm kind of ashamed of is that my review of the Triports is one of the "Top" reviews for them on Amazon. The very first page! I still remember them sounding good, so I don't regret it. Maybe if I tried them again they may still sound decent to me. Back then I must have thought that since they were $150 they MUST be good. I do remember how comfortable those were. Too bad they broke TWICE in one year.

Monster seems to have made a lot of really good IEM's. Maybe Bose will eventually do something similar and  make a good pair of headphones that everyone on here is raving about! Wouldn't that be funny? It could happen, but probably not! Better yet, maybe Skullcandy will make something better then the M50s!

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #19 of 22
nessinonett, I think you're well on the way to being able to comprehend more of the reviews as you get familiar with both your HD650s and RS1s.  Then it becomes a matter of sifting through reviews to cross reference the signature of your two cans, asking questions if anyone has any impressions between your cans and the review can.  Eventually you get a grasp of how these popular cans relate to your own cans signature.

I have found that as I spend more time here, I start to learn precisely what sounds appeal to me, and in due time, were able to recognise specific, well respected posters that share very similar tastes or even opposing tastes, I then start to take those particular members opinion with more weighting.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #20 of 22
When I got my first iPod (a 3g), it was a huge investment for that time. I remember I was kinda disapointed with the sound. It lacked bass and something else, clarity... whatever. I noticed very few people complained.Sadly people were more interested on showing off their little new toy rather than listening to it.

I dont think that paying more than $30 for a headphone is a case of snobbery. My only headphone is a $75 Sennheiser 555 that I connect to my Dell Laptop (with surprisingly good headphone out) People buy watches for over $5000 every day.

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #21 of 22

So many variables, ways of interpreting sonic signatures, likes and dislikes in sounds and musical genres. While it may be true, for the most past, members here have 2 ears, we are all unique. We will interpret sounds differently from one another, adore certain genres others will abhor. This in short is why we have choice, from the equipment we buy to the music we listen to. A particular headphone perfect for one gentleman's audition of Bach will not suite the teenagers testosterone drive of todays hip hop.

What does all this have to do with cheap headphones? Most cheap headphones can produce the bass needed for todays music, the youngster is impressed and writes a glowing review which includes notes on the soundstage and treble all of which are relevant to the music they're listening too. Pickup this same headphone for a listen to classical in an auditorium and you'll very likely be unimpressed; did the headphone reviewer lie, or did they simply write from their point-of-view?

Case in point, it's easy to get good sound, it's much harder and generally a lot more expensive to achieve an accurate one.

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #22 of 22
Because we want something different, more, ...
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back