Why oh why do these 800s suck so bad?
Oct 22, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 45
You forgot 5 and I am impressed with your psychic abilities. 

Quote:
Let's get the usual responses out of the way:

1. You need to upgrade your amp
2. You need to upgrade your source
3. There's something wrong with your hearing
4. The HD-800 isn't for you
5. You need to upgrade the stock cable

I'm going with number four

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #18 of 45
The people who just heard my setup at the meet all liked them and many said that they hadn't on other setups.  I got comments that on mine that the treble was smoothed, the bass was up and that they just sounded incredible....that many there claimed that they were to quick to judge on other systems.  Like any headphone that i own or have owned, you have to taylor your rig to them.  If you are unable to do that then get more forgiving headphones.  My Edition 8s are more easily adaptable but I don't think you can get them to the same level.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #19 of 45

Quote:
You forgot 5 and I am impressed with your psychic abilities. 

Quote:
Uncle Erik said:

Let's get the usual responses out of the way:

1. You need to upgrade your amp
2. You need to upgrade your source
3. There's something wrong with your hearing
4. The HD-800 isn't for you
5. You need to upgrade the stock cable

I'm going with number four

UE is a disbeliever in recabling (something he's tried with other senns he's owned). as previously stated i would recommend trying that. at least go to canjam and hear different rigs and get a better feel for some of these things.

Oct 23, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #20 of 45
^ I agree, changing the cables was so much for me that i had to readapt to the phones because they were so much warmer and less transparent.  But it did fix alot of the etchyness.  

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #22 of 45
The HD800s have their share of flaws no doubt. I think most people would prefer if Sennheiser made them a bit fuller and weightier sounding.
I think you'd like the LCD-2, or even the T1s (the latter I have only read about).

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #23 of 45
I have heard HD800 out of an SPL Auditor and they didn't impress me. Sure, they had stock cable and I listened to jazz and classical (I rarely ever listen to either of those). Regardless, I would expect a pair of $1400 cans to blow my mind, but they didn't. The Stax O2 that were at that meet really, really impressed me, same as the K1000 (can be had for around $900 even). HD800 just sounded too cold and the soundstage was off for me. Sounds funny that I fell in love with K1000 at that meet then (as well as O2), since the K1000 have a huge soundstage and aren't exactly warm sounding. Don't know what it was about the HD800 that I didn't like, but that's just how it is. Maybe I will like them the next time I give them a proper go, who knows. K1000 I rarely ever use now because I almost exclusively listen to metal and rock, so the headphones I enjoy really have to do well with the genres I love. Still love my DT880. HF-2 lack too much of the high frequencies (cymbals aren't well presented imo) and the HF-2s mids are way too bright and aggressive for me (listenable at low volumes, but at normal listening volume for me, I can't really stand them.

HD800 definitely aren't for everyone, just like every headphone.

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #24 of 45
I did not hate the 800's, but they were too bright for me.  At moderate volumes the sound was fatiging.  I agree with the others on the LCD-2's.  I really think the op will like there sound......

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #25 of 45

Quote:
I have heard HD800 out of an SPL Auditor and they didn't impress me. Sure, they had stock cable and I listened to jazz and classical (I rarely ever listen to either of those). Regardless, I would expect a pair of $1400 cans to blow my mind, but they didn't. The Stax O2 that were at that meet really, really impressed me, same as the K1000 (can be had for around $900 even). HD800 just sounded too cold and the soundstage was off for me. Sounds funny that I fell in love with K1000 at that meet then (as well as O2), since the K1000 have a huge soundstage and aren't exactly warm sounding. Don't know what it was about the HD800 that I didn't like, but that's just how it is. Maybe I will like them the next time I give them a proper go, who knows. K1000 I rarely ever use now because I almost exclusively listen to metal and rock, so the headphones I enjoy really have to do well with the genres I love. Still love my DT880. HF-2 lack too much of the high frequencies (cymbals aren't well presented imo) and the HF-2s mids are way too bright and aggressive for me (listenable at low volumes, but at normal listening volume for me, I can't really stand them.

HD800 definitely aren't for everyone, just like every headphone.

What DAC did you use? Because I like HD800 with Auditor.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #26 of 45
x3 I also couldn't live with the Senn 800.  In fact the HE-5LE was still standing when the 800 left the building.  LCD-2 definitely suits my music taste more and costs less though a recable will bump it about even.  Personally recabled mine to get something lighter and more flexible, any sound benefits were just icing.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #27 of 45
Similar to others, the HD800 does sound a bit too bright and fatigue for me.  I recently purchased the Apuresound V3 cable for the HD800, and it succeed at smooth out the treble while enhancing the bass considerably.  If you like HD800's other qualities but dislike the treble and want to enhance the bass then an upgrade cable maybe the solution.

Purk

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #28 of 45

Quote:
Similar to others, the HD800 does sound a bit too bright and fatigue for me.  I recently purchased the Apuresound V3 cable for the HD800, and it succeed at smooth out the treble while enhancing the bass considerably.  If you like HD800's other qualities but dislike the treble and want to enhance the bass then an upgrade cable maybe the solution.

Purk

x2. That's what I found from both of the cables I owned for the 800s.

Oct 31, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #30 of 45

Quote:
Sell the HD800's and get the LCD-2's

This ^

I had the chance to audition both today side by side and the HD800 sounded lifeless in comparison, just my opinion of course. I wish I hadn't heard the LCD-2s because now I know what I'm missing and can't afford them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back