Why not use a home stereo integrated amp in lieu of a headphone amp? Pic added.
Aug 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #31 of 38
The Evolution is certainly a nice looking unit, very simple in design, build quality seems excellent and as I said, I think the sound is very elegant and capable with plenty of power and voltage. Like everybody here I would love to climb the audio food chain, but the point of diminishing return rears it's ugly head and from what I can tell I would need to spend over $2000 to best the Evolution and then I would start to think my speakers need to be upgraded.... Anyway, I do hope you have a chance to demo the Creek as it really is a fabulous integrated. They are now producing the Evolution 2 which is supposed to have some sonic upgrades, but I have not heard one yet. Cheers.

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #32 of 38
I've been thinking about using a receiver aswell, and in fact i have my eyes on the C316BEE; $400 is about my budget now and i want the choice of going with speakers on the near future instead of buying a headphone amp and die with headphones !

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #33 of 38

Quote:
The Evolution is certainly a nice looking unit, very simple in design, build quality seems excellent and as I said, I think the sound is very elegant and capable with plenty of power and voltage. Like everybody here I would love to climb the audio food chain, but the point of diminishing return rears it's ugly head and from what I can tell I would need to spend over $2000 to best the Evolution and then I would start to think my speakers need to be upgraded.... Anyway, I do hope you have a chance to demo the Creek as it really is a fabulous integrated. They are now producing the Evolution 2 which is supposed to have some sonic upgrades, but I have not heard one yet. Cheers.

I refuse to play that diminishing returns game too. I will try to find the best price/performance ratio for my needs that I can. I doubt if I'll be able to audition one, but with prices starting under $800 for a used 5350SE Classic, I may just go that route. I agree, the Evolution does look nice though... 

Thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #34 of 38
A used 5350SE would be great, at one point I was really looking to do the same thing and yet might. Because I enjoy the Creek sound so much I am likely going to look for a Destiny on the used market in the near future. Anyway, it has been nice chatting with you about things. Post back in this thread when you have found your new gear as I would be interested in hearing about how it turns out for you. Cheers.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #35 of 38
I use an Onkyo TX-8555 stereo reciever and it definitely makes a difference compared to the straight hook up of my computers onboard audio. My Audio-Technica Ath-AD700 sounded nice straight from the computer but when i added a reciever to the chain it sounded much more fuller and thick. Theres also the advantage of tone controls for the treble and bass. Am also into using speakers so a reciever gives me plenty of choice on what to use depending on mood and environmental going ons.

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #36 of 38

Quote:
A used 5350SE would be great, at one point I was really looking to do the same thing and yet might. Because I enjoy the Creek sound so much I am likely going to look for a Destiny on the used market in the near future. Anyway, it has been nice chatting with you about things. Post back in this thread when you have found your new gear as I would be interested in hearing about how it turns out for you. Cheers.

Will do!

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #37 of 38

Quote:

I've had an interesting couple of days...

Yesterday I visited a high-end audio shop (Magnolia's flagship store in Seattle) and auditioned the Peachtree Nova with a pair of HD650's. I've never heard them sound better. Though the treble was still a little recessed for my liking, the 650's sounded lush with beautiful midrange and tight bass.

Next I went across the street to Hawthorne Stereo to listen to some used amps - including a Creek 5350 and NAD 3300 they had listed on their website. This is a terrific shop with good prices and nice quality stuff. Unforunately, the Creek was sold so I still haven't listened to one. The NAD sounded decent but was a little warm for my tastes (no doubt exaggerated by the 650's character). Finally, I listened to a Cambridge Audio Azur 650A, which sounded decent enough but unremarkable - much like how I remember the Asgard.

Today, while traveling for work, I stopped in at a high-end headphone store (32 Ohm in Portland) to audition a few different setups. I ended up listening to every headphone on my list through a Burson amp sourced by a Music Hall CD player.

I satisfied my curiosity about the AKG 601 and 702, Denon AH-D2000, Beyer 880 and 990, and a couple others I was curious about. They were all too bright for me and either lacking in bass or had too much (uncontrolled) bass. I guess my first instinct was correct - I'm a Sennheiser guy. So, on to the good stuff...

I tried the Sennheiser HD800 first and really like them. Bass was punchy and controlled, midrange seemed a smidge leaner than the 650 (not in a bad way), and they had a more forward treble (without sounding bright) so the details came through better. They were also very comfortable.

Next came the Audeze LCD-2 (v2). They sounded a lot like the HD800 to me at first, but as I listened longer, a began to hear a little deeper (but no less controlled) bass and slightly more recessed (but slightly smoother) treble. I really liked them - a little more than the 800. Finally, a pair of Grado GS-1000i's, which I couldn't bear to listen to for more than a few seconds. Way too bright!

So then I listened to the LCD-2's through a Peachtree iDecco (they didn't have a Nova) and it was too close for me to call. They certainly sounded just as pleasing to me as they did with the Burson. Plus the Peachtree has very smooth controls and fine build quality (I hate the volume control on the Burson). Of significance to me is that, while listening to the LCD-2 and HD800, I came to a couple of realizations:
First, I like both of these headphones mostly because they sound like a brighter, clearer HD650 - much like I remember the HD600. I need to go back to 32 Ohm next week with a pair of HD600's and compare them to the LCD-2's. I strongly believe one of them is "the one."
Second: After experiencing the elegance of the Peachtree Nova and iDecco, I really don't want a dedicated headphone amp. I don't like the idea of another box sitting on my cabinet and then adding DACS, RCA cables, and switching through a tape monitor loop to listen to headphones. Unless the thing is beautiful like a WA2, I'm going integrated.

Finally, to cap off the day, I got a response to an e-mail I sent to a friend of mine last week who offered to sell me his vintage Sansui G8000 receiver. He bought a G9000 a couple of months ago and sent me a message thinking I might like the 8000. I told him "YES" and I should be picking it up this Sunday and put it through it's paces. I have my doubts about the low impedance Audeze's matching up with that old-school Sansui, so I'm hoping the 600's sound like I think I remember them. That would be the "bargain" solution. The "high-end" solution (and I admit I'm excited about this prospect) would be the LCD-2's with the Peachtree Nova. I can't stop thinking about the Nova. I really like it's fidelity, capabilities, and design/build.

At last I'm making progress - and still having a lot of fun.

May 16, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #38 of 38
Well, the NAD C316BEE arrived today and as I type this I am listening to the Dave Grusin/Lee Ritenour album - Harlequin .... one of by favorite Brazilian jazz albums. All I can say is the sound quality is stunning. Simply beautiful!

The source is the HM 801 with Flac Lossless files. The headphones are HD 600s.

Before buying the NAD, I tried the HD 600s with the HM 801 alone and it was not adequate to the task of powering the headphones (The diminutive Cowon D2+ was more than adequate however. Go figure.).

I have the NAD and 801 set with the tone defeated and the base is very strong.

Other than the FiiO E7, I don't have another amp with which to compare. The E7, even with volume set to 60 sould not drive the HD 600s very well. Hence the decision to buy the NAD. This unit is set up in my man cave (home office). At some point, I may add a CD player and some modest floor speakers. We'll see. Right now, I am thrilled with the current setup.

For those interested, I got NAD at Crutchfields for $349. Free shipping.
I have been using my NAD 316 for many years to power my headphones and have always been pleased with its performance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back