Why not split the earphones and headphones forum?
Feb 10, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not take it a step further?

Make a Headphones category, then in that category, make seperate manufacturer categories. For example: Grado, AKG, Sennheiser, STAX, BeyerDynamic, Sony, Ultrasones, Custom, General Headphone Discussion, All Others.

AKA The "what are the best sub-$100 headphones for me" forum.
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #17 of 25
Splitting them up will be a bad idea. With more subforums, people will tend to visit the forum of their interests and will ignore the other ones (in which they could potentially be helping or learning something). Also, where would one post a thread like "I need new headphone or earphones?"

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #18 of 25
I'd keep the general discussion forum, but I'd add subforums for each model of headphone.

Yes, I know it's a lot, but it would be hugely useful for people doing research. They could get a rough idea of 2-3 they're interested in from the general forum, then could go to the headphone-specific thread to find all the details, discussion, the cheapest place to buy it, etc. etc. You would not have to run a search and then sift through 300 threads to find a post here and there with relevant information.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

You would not have to run a search and then sift through 300 threads to find a post here and there with relevant information.

If you define your search to display posts rather than threads, you don't have to sift through all the threads.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #22 of 25
Please, it was just an idea. I thought I was moody
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree it has negative points, but it has also postive points (Like lower topic frequency, so you can follow they better. The argument of dividing other fora isn't a good one, the headphone forum is by far the biggest.

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just read every thread and every post in all the forums? You wold be amazed at the diversity of opinions and at times pure BS that you come across.

I try to do this ... and fail. I just don't have enough time to keep up with all of them and live life (ie sleep, eat, work).

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #24 of 25
I suggest to do it by cable length, using a metric system.
For mini to mini interconnect, we would have 2.5 cm increments.
For mini to RCA and RCA to RCA, We would go by 10cm increments.
For headphones cables, We would go by 30 cm increments.
We top that with a poll. People who want to read more threads would go for the forums related to the most used cable length, ensuring diversity of opinions.
Obviously, as brands are mixed, it will guarantee appropriate and healthy breeding of our gear.
What do you guys think ?
Lionel

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest to do it by cable length, using a metric system.
For mini to mini interconnect, we would have 2.5 cm increments.
For mini to RCA and RCA to RCA, We would go by 10cm increments.
For headphones cables, We would go by 30 cm increments.
We top that with a poll. People who want to read more threads would go for the forums related to the most used cable length, ensuring diversity of opinions.
Obviously, as brands are mixed, it will guarantee appropriate and healthy breeding of our gear.
What do you guys think ?
Lionel

Quoted for the obvious sarcasm (I hope).

I mean I do get a bit annoyed with the repetitive topics in the headphone section, but wow... what kind of micromanaging would the mods and admins have to do to keep that up. Especially on their salary (Do they even get paid?).

I believe the others above me have already stated an obvious problem: what will happen if your question bleeds into the other section(s)? Will a bunch of people who don't read the current threads and don't use the search functions end up multiplying the amount of repetitive posts (on each thread(s))?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back