Why not split the earphones and headphones forum?
Feb 10, 2007 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Moody

Head-Fier
The title says it all
smily_headphones1.gif

What do you think? Will it make head-fi better or worse?

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sphiinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or how about a separate thread for iems ?

IEMs are earphones. I don't think we must split 1 forum into 3. That could be too much change for the old and grey head-fiers
icon10.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 25
Why not take it a step further?

Make a Headphones category, then in that category, make seperate manufacturer categories. For example: Grado, AKG, Sennheiser, STAX, BeyerDynamic, Sony, Ultrasones, Custom, General Headphone Discussion, All Others.

Make an IEM category, then in that category make seperate manufacturers categories. For example: Shure, Westone, Ultimate Ears, Sensaphonic, General IEM Discussion, All Others.

I think that would be awesome, because as it stands now when I go to the 'Headphones' forum, I have to weed through a bunch of threads that I am not at all interested in to find the ones that I am interested in. For example, I couldn't really care less about any threads related to Sennheisers, but I have a keen interest in Grado, STAX and Shure phones. As such, I wouldn't ever have to visit the Sennheiser category, and go staright to the ones I am interested in, Grado, STAX and Shure.

One can dream...

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 25
New User: "Hey guys. I'm new to all this. I'm looking for some headphones that I can use on the noisy bus and in the library (but I don't want to disturb others). Any ideas?"

Head-Fi: "Have you considered IEMs?"

New User: "What is this IEMs?"

Head-Fi: "Go post in the Earphone Forum."

Maybe it's just me, but I think it would be a bad idea.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not take it a step further?

Make a Headphones category, then in that category, make seperate manufacturer categories. For example: Grado, AKG, Sennheiser, STAX, BeyerDynamic, Sony, Ultrasones, Custom, General Headphone Discussion, All Others.

Make an IEM category, then in that category make seperate manufacturers categories. For example: Shure, Westone, Ultimate Ears, Sensaphonic, General IEM Discussion, All Others.

I think that would be awesome, because as it stands now when I go to the 'Headphones' forum, I have to weed through a bunch of threads that I am not at all interested in to find the ones that I am interested in. For example, I couldn't really care less about any threads related to Sennheisers, but I have a keen interest in Grado, STAX and Shure phones. As such, I wouldn't ever have to visit the Sennheiser category, and go staright to the ones I am interested in, Grado, STAX and Shure.

One can dream...

That would be so awesome. I would be visiting the Sennheiser forum, of course.
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 25
I was just thinking about the same thing the other day. However, I feel there would still be too many crossover posts. Examples:

Which IEM sounds most like Grados?
Comparison of headphone x to headphone xx and xxx.
Is an IEM or closed can best for such and such?

The more categories you add, the more cumbersome the forum becomes, especially for new users. A good example of this is the AVS forum. Under the Display Devices category they have separate categories for LCD Displays, Plasma Displays, Flat Panel General, Screens, Calibration, etc.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 25
Why not just read every thread and every post in all the forums? You wold be amazed at the diversity of opinions and at times pure BS that you come across.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 25
I say; keep the sub-forums as they are!
If we were to split the 'Headphones, Earphones, In-Ear Monitors' forum into three sub-forums, we might end up splitting some of the other sub-forums as well.
* Headphone Amps -> Home amplfiers | Portable amplifiers (perhaps even sub-forums for Tube, SS and electrostatic amplifiers).
* Dedicated Source Components -> CD | DVD-A/SACD | Vinyl

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 25
moody,
you give zero reasons to split up the headphones forum. i say it is a bad idea and keep things as they are.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 25
If it's split into manufacturers, it becomes hard to compare. It's also harder to search for certain things, because you'd have to search across several boards, or maybe not if they're sub categories.

I'm not convinced it's a good idea to split the forum into IEM and full size. There's a spectrum between IEMs, small portable cans, and large cans. There are some full size cans you can walk around with, and some small so-called portables that are hopelessly chair bound.

How does it help or hurt the people using the site to split or not split the board? Include newbies and regulars in your thoughts.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just thinking about the same thing the other day. However, I feel there would still be too many crossover posts. Examples:

Which IEM sounds most like Grados?
Comparison of headphone x to headphone xx and xxx.
Is an IEM or closed can best for such and such?

Hence why I suggested a 'General Headphone Discussion' and or 'General IEM Discussion' area for such posts that don't quite fall into the manufacturer categories.

I know how 'set in their ways' people can become, and being in the Computer field has demonstarted to me time and time again how reluctant people are to accept change (or willing to even try a change). As such, I am quite confident that things will stay the same here at Head-Fi, so fear not. I am actually suprised that a few of the existing forum categories got a name change recently to be honest.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #15 of 25
A good majority of the questions in these forums are of a comparative nature. So when someone asks, "How do headphone-X compare to headphone-y?", in which forum should it be posted?

/edit: oops! Missed zotjen's previous post. Err...what he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back