Why multiple phones?
Jul 15, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #18 of 34
For me it's pretty simple:

At work, the DT770s, because they keep my coworkers from having to listen to my music, but allow me to hear music the way I like to hear it.

On the go, the er4ps, because I want good sound, but don't wanna look like a complete goober
smily_headphones1.gif

For home, I'm getting the RS1s, because I want good sound, and don't mind that the wife and kids hear that I'm listening ot music, just don't want it to drown out the rest of the activities in the house.

And hte V6s because I couldn't sell them for what I think they're worth, so I'll just keep them.

orphsmile.gif
rs1smile.gif
etysmile.gif
basshead.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #19 of 34
I wanted cans that gave me the house sound of every major headphone manufacturer, and could all be driven 'un-amped'. Consequently I have a sennheiser hd-595, grado sr-325i, beyerdynamic dt-431 and akg k240s. All albums/genres of music benefit from a different frequency response, so having lots of cans is useful to get the best out of your music collection. This is especially true if you have an eclectic taste in music.

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
Why do you guys have more than one set of headphones? Especially more than 3?

You can only listen to one set at a time. Do you switch between CD's of different material?

Can someone explain?

Because I have OCD (at least according to my wife).

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #21 of 34
Experimentation...to me this is an expensive game...a gamble...

I like to try a lot of gear to understand synergy of components and synergy between gear and my brain. I dont HOARD headphones but I have more than a couple so I guess I fall under that category. Each headphone looks different, feels different, sounds different...touches you in a different way...it is hard to be loyal
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #22 of 34
Why more than 3 headphones?

The headphones comprise the hobby part of our passion for music.

I have different headphones not for different types of music, but for variety. Even the bestest, mostest pair of headphones can get tiring after a while. Also, a new, different pair of headphones gives you a good reason to go through all of your music collection again, even the ones you hardly listen to. I have relatively expensive headphones and canal phones, but find myself listening to the more modest Sennheiser PX-100 and Shure E3c from time to time. The beauty of the headphone hobby is that most people can acquire a collection of good cans for a relatively small sum. The incremental difference between the big name name headphones and the "budget" ones are not as great as they seem. For example, even the highly regarded HD650 is relatively cheap at about $330.

Lots of reasons but these are the ones that I can think of at the moment.

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #23 of 34
I buy headphones for the purpose of trying to find the one thats right for me. So far the HD580/SR60 combo has done its job, I just might wait for the next Head-Fi meet to try out more high end headphones :-D

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
Why do you guys have more than one set of headphones? Especially more than 3?

Im just curious. I can see the idea of collecting rare and hard to find cans, but when I see people who post and have like one of every shure, etys, 4 senns, 3 Grados etc. I just dont get it.

Can someone explain?

Because we're all crazy.
biggrin.gif
rs1smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
I believe it's been said that a good headphone set can be comparable to the sound of say a speaker set, say 10x more expensive. Plus, many people find the headphone experience very special in a way that it better immerses you into the music. Things can feel more intimate.

This has being said here many time, but I've never agreed with that, a good headphone setup, will run easily on the multithoushand dollar figure, just look the tags of R-10 Qualias, Orpheus, Stax, etc...add a good amp....With that money, using the same source for both, you can get a very good speaker amp, and two decent speakers, that will rival any of those sounds easily....and you still will have some money for a decent pair of headphones as a bonus....in an step down setup...

I'm here for long time and honestly that has been my same question since the first day, if I prefer one set of cans over the rest, why keep the one I do not prefer, after making my choise...Excluding the different uses of course, portable, home setup, etc....IMO and in others as well, if one set of cans is good, it has to be good with anything, sound is sound, and at the end if the reproduction is accurate enough, it should be the same for everything, if you need some kind of EQzation to listen to a particularly kind of music, use an EQ and period....I have my headphones for everything, and I hear a lot of music, and there is no music I do not enjoy with them the same way...

Jul 16, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #30 of 34
1. for enjoying music on my computer rig (open, circumaural, sennheisers)

2. for playing games on my computer rig (closed, circumaural, currently AT)

3. for sound analysis on my computer (closed, circumaural, currently Ultrasone)

4. for portable/mp3 use (canalphones, currently etys)

5. for main stereo use, occasionally during evenings (open, circumaural, sennheisers)

6. for my wife for listening on the computer (closed, circumaural, beyers)

7. for my wife for listening on the go (supra-aural, senns)

8. for cheap on-the-travel listen (canals, currently philips)

Yes, I know... too many.

Do I really _need_ them all. Of course not.

Do I benefit from having and using them, yes, very much so.

Still, I think at least three pairs is a minimum I need (portable, closed and open).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back