Why multiple phones?
Jul 14, 2005 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
I may be opening a can of worms here so Im getting my flame suit on.

Why do you guys have more than one set of headphones? Especially more than 3?

You can only listen to one set at a time. Do you switch between CD's of different material?

By no means am I an audiophile. I never listen to music at home, its always on the go via my mp3 player or in the car. I reserve my home as my theater and all that is what Ive invested in. I wouldnt imagine listening to movies via headphones.

What is the point of listening to your music through headphones instead of superbly phonic stereo speakers (other than not bothering neighbors or sleepy people)?

Im just curious. I can see the idea of collecting rare and hard to find cans, but when I see people who post and have like one of every shure, etys, 4 senns, 3 Grados etc. I just dont get it.

Can someone explain?

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 34
I'll give you my basic take on some of your questions:

Why do you guys have more than one set of headphones? Especially more than 3?

-Different headphones have different sound signatures. Some just sound more natural or lively with specific genres of music. For example, some headphones have a whole lot more bass than others, which would suit them really well for electronica or hiphop. Others may have a wider soundstage or a more relaxed presentation, which can provide a better experience for classical music.

There are too many different signatures, even within the same brand. Then there's even more difference between types of headphones, be it canalphones vs fullsized, or closed vs open, etc.

What is the point of listening to your music through headphones instead of superbly phonic stereo speakers (other than not bothering neighbors or sleepy people)?

I believe it's been said that a good headphone set can be comparable to the sound of say a speaker set, say 10x more expensive. Plus, many people find the headphone experience very special in a way that it better immerses you into the music. Things can feel more intimate.

QUOTE]

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 34
I'll add that there doesn't seem to be a perfect headphone yet...although many will argue with this
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 34
The average headfier has 8-9 heads
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
each with its own ego, sastisfying each one requires drastic measures.

seriously... Like any other hobby/collection each item in the collection is unique. Each has differnt designs and strengths/weaknesses. The true collector is keen enough to detect and appreciate those differences, while the average user may not notice subtle differences or appreciate them as much.

"superbly phonic" stereo speakers will always have a leg up on headphones IMHO. There are room acoustics and spatial separation elements that not even the best headphone can replicate. HOWEVER... Within my budget I still prefer headphones because they bring the sound / spatial image to your ears. Introducing smaller amounts of coloration of their own.

I have an $1800 denon/Boston/Triad home theater setup that is terrible for music listening and, only so-so for live concert DVDs. Its too colored IMHO. I for one prefer headphones or a good (way out of my budget) 2 CH stereo rig.

Garrett

Jul 14, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
Im just curious. I can see the idea of collecting rare and hard to find cans, but when I see people who post and have like one of every shure, etys, 4 senns, 3 Grados etc. I just dont get it.

Can someone explain?

Certainly not I.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 34
As already stated most here will talk about the sonic differences in each and blah blah blah...
I very much agree about the sonic differences but my reasoning for having 3 pairs make a little more sense to someone trying to understand our obsession with sound.

My Senns are "open air" thus will often bother others so they are designated for home use where I can have the volume to my liking, not be concerned about others and really get the full value of their superb sound.

My Beyers are "closed" or "sealed" which I originally got for work but will also use for late night gaming and movies if my lil wife wants to fall asleep on the couch.

My Shure's I got to have a setup that is truly "portable" and could go in my pocket with the iriver and for use in the air as they offer a better seal than the Beyers (duh).

If I had to chose on it would be the Senns for sure because they out match anything I've heard in sound and comfort.
eggosmile.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 34
I just want to say thank you for the mature responses I wasnt expecting. I wasnt trying to be a jerk when asking, I just wanted to be educated.

I dont take my music experience as seriously as I do my home theater experience. That being said I joined here because I respect the opinions and knowledge of you all and was looking for information on replacement headphones and MP3 player. Based on this forum primarily I made excellent decisions on both.

Obviously a lot can be taken with a grain of salt here but thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 34
My EX's are for anything portable related, mainly at the office.

I use the SR-60's mainly at home, but I can only listen to them for an hour or so before the 'grato' gets to me

I'm not sure why I have the KSC-75's, except that they were really cheap and one of those "might as well" things. Same with the HD201's.

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrXpress

I'm not sure why I have the KSC-75's, except that they were really cheap and one of those "might as well" things. Same with the HD201's.

Same here. I ended up lending the 75s and 201s to friend and gf, respectively.

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #10 of 34
"Why multiple phones?"

Well, I bought the Senn HD650 because they are the Head-Fi reference standard and a requisite for respectability on these boards.

The ATH-A900s were picked up to meet my need for closed cans to use on the computer.

AKG K501s made the cut because I got tired of reading the love/hate threads and decided to hear for myself whether they did or did not have bass.

Sony SA5K was FOTM, and I got them cheap as an early adopter.

Beyer DT880 ended up in the fold because I couldn't resist the allure of gray plush pads (and I'd never sampled the Beyer house sound).

Beyer DT990-Pro was an impulse purchase. What was this 770/990 bass everybody kept posting about?

The Stax? I'd tried everything except electrostatics and IEMs. Thought I'd give them a listen.

Thats the current lot. Mostly, I'm interested in differences in house sound among the different brands. I switch off because different modes of presentation better serve one type of music or another.

It's a hobby.
biggrin.gif

BW

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
"Why multiple phones?"

Muuu haaa haaa!
biggrin.gif
Muuu haaa haaa!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

It's a hobby.
biggrin.gif

Ya, that's it.

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 34
Bill sums it up perfectly, it's a hobby...

But also, different 'phones have different sound signatures, just check some of the "xxx vs yyy" threads. Some 'phones like the K501 excel with classical or acoustic music but fall short when it come to electronica or bass heavy music. Enter the DT880's and so on and so forth.

And the other point to remember is that the money I've spent on headphones (which was a necessity because my apartment walls are microns thin...) wouldn't even get me a high-end pair of speakers. It's audiophilia on a budget.

The best analogy I read was a reviewer who compared 'phones to hi-end stereos as motorcycle to cars. Some people will spend more than the average house costs on a fast sports car. But for 6 months salary, you can get a bike that's sexier and a whole bunch better performing than said cars.

I have some really nice bikes.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back