Why Kanye West = God?
Mar 28, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #286 of 378
Yeah he's a complete #^&*, and I think everyone knows that. Close to the most arrogant, stuck up person on this earth. Some of his stuff I don't mind, but overall I'm not a fan. I've watched some of his live performances and they were terrible, which in his case isn't so good seen as though his voice is all he's got.

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #287 of 378

Quote:
Yeah he's a complete #^&*, and I think everyone knows that. Close to the most arrogant, stuck up person on this earth. Some of his stuff I don't mind, but overall I'm not a fan. I've watched some of his live performances and they were terrible, which in his case isn't so good seen as though his voice is all he's got.

His voice is all he's got? He is also a producer, and thats why certain people think he is so great.  It's because he can not only be a rapper, but also a producer. The problem with his arrogance is that to him it is justifiable to be that arrogant.  If you look at the albums he has put out they have all been great. 808s was different, but his other albums have all been viewed as amazing.  He's constantly gotten awards for his albums, and he has gotten constant praise from big magazines/reviewers. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #288 of 378

Quote:
His voice is all he's got? He is also a producer, and thats why certain people think he is so great.  It's because he can not only be a rapper, but also a producer. The problem with his arrogance is that to him it is justifiable to be that arrogant.  If you look at the albums he has put out they have all been great. 808s was different, but his other albums have all been viewed as amazing.  He's constantly gotten awards for his albums, and he has gotten constant praise from big magazines/reviewers. 

So you're saying he has the right to be an arrogant douche because he's had success, am I following correctly here? Like I said, I do enjoy SOME of his stuff, but when I hear it live it makes me realize how little "rap skills" he actually has. He's definitely a better producer than a rapper.

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #289 of 378

Quote:
So you're saying he has the right to be an arrogant douche because he's had success, am I following correctly here? Like I said, I do enjoy SOME of his stuff, but when I hear it live it makes me realize how little "rap skills" he actually has. He's definitely a better producer than a rapper.

No, i'm not saying he has the right, but in his opinion he has the right to be that way since he is good at what he does. 

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #293 of 378

Quote:
This is really a matter of definition, andtobis.

I agree.  It is also a lot about opinion.  I mean, we don't really know what this guy is like in person. We get a feeling of what he is like from the media, but is this really him? Or is it just so that everyone is entertained and making money. I play sports so I come into contact with lots of arrogant or cocky people. I've realized that the more I judge them from the surface level, the more wrong I am about them when I actually get to know them.

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #294 of 378

Quote:
That's incredible. I didn't know he produced so many songs based on old recordings. That explains the musicality I sensed in so many of his songs. That is after all how a lot of hip-hop was originally created; they call it "sampling". But how he took so many parts, put them together and made them flow amazes me. 

I think that's kind of what sets him apart too and sort of makes him a 3 dimensional hip hop artist. He adds different flavors and genre of music into his tracks, mixes it together, and makes them flow. And the fact that he does it well. Compared to other hip hop artist that follows the traditional method and only good at doing 1 or 2 things. Some only knowing how to make a good beat while others only good at making it flow. 

The fact that he's a producer/rapper is an advantage. He has more creativity than other (most) rappers. 

I'd never heard the term "sampling" before reading this thread. It sounds to me like a euphemism for plagiarizing, but I guess if you change the tempo and a word or two your sorry uncreative ass can't be sued. I stick by my post #255 but I do think Uncle Erik's thought about hawking energy drinks has merit.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #295 of 378

Quote:
I'd never heard the term "sampling" before reading this thread. It sounds to me like a euphemism for plagiarizing, but I guess if you change the tempo and a word or two your sorry uncreative ass can't be sued. I stick by my post #255 but I do think Uncle Erik's thought about hawking energy drinks has merit.

Yeah, the Beatles were a bunch of lazy hacks. 
k701smile.gif
   Sampling is like any other technique; some are better at it than others.

Apr 10, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #297 of 378
Yeah, the Beatles were a bunch of lazy hacks. 
k701smile.gif
   Sampling is like any other technique; some are better at it than others.

Sampling isn't like other techniques. It's just copying someone else's work.

Praising Kanye for copying interesting parts of other works is like having an eight year-old who can do paint-by-numbers really well.

Apr 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #298 of 378

Quote:
Sampling isn't like other techniques. It's just copying someone else's work.

Praising Kanye for copying interesting parts of other works is like having an eight year-old who can do paint-by-numbers really well.

Really? Are you really going to say that sampling is that easy? He doesn't copy interesting parts of songs, he takes a songs beat, and then adds his on spin on it.  I would understand if he took the exact same beat, and didnt change a single aspect of the song, and then rapped over it.  However thats not the case. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #299 of 378
Quote:
He does his sampling very well.....but still, for me he hasn't changed the fabric of space-time.
He hasn't revolutionised the way a decade listens to music...etc.  

Not even close... though he'd like to think it. Mainstream hip-hop is just lacking competition.

Quote:
Really? Are you really going to say that sampling is that easy? He doesn't copy interesting parts of songs, he takes a songs beat, and then adds his on spin on it.  I would understand if he took the exact same beat, and didnt change a single aspect of the song, and then rapped over it.  However thats not the case. 

Let it go. He's so closed minded I don't even bother anymore.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #300 of 378
we need a psychologist here, to analyse how he makes himself so interesting/what makes him so attractive for the public.
is he charismatic?

ex: Michael Jackson, he is/was really great, because he could sing, dance.....like a god. In his case i understand the hype, but.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back