Why isn't a Grado earpad upgrade ever suggested or even mentioned?
Sep 23, 2010 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FreezingHazard

New Head-Fier
Seriously? I mean why complain for hours on how uncomfortable they are and upgrade them to a ps1000 over the ear pad.

Does it degrade the sound or something?

Because I am purchasing one and am buying a ps1000 pad with it but it doesn't seem very common in fact i've never heard of anyone on these forums using one.

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 10
Keep in mind that the GS-1000/PS-1000 pads will change the sound of your Grados. It changes the distance of the driver to the ear, making them sound different.

Also, there have been many alternate pads over the years. HD-414 pads, C-pads, and a host of tweaks and tips.

Not everyone finds Grado pads uncomfortable, either. I don't, as long as I've washed them a few times. The difference is that those who find Grados uncomfortable are vocal about it. I don't doubt them, but you'll find a lot more "uncomfortable" threads and comments than opposing views from those who think they're fine.

You might find the regular bowls just fine - try them out before you buy anything else.

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 10
Wow you really think outside the box.

Thank you sir for the informative reply. It makes sense, truly. Why WOULD anyone post about how much they think something is comfortable. Just like bad feedback, it's general idea to like what you like and do nothing but if you dislike you want to make it clear

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 10
For me the brand new bowl is so comfortable, even more than washed comfy pad and 414's pad. But, the washed bowl is somewhat too soft, so my ears will easily resting at that driver which is like sandpaper, and that's become most uncomfortable pad.

So, if you ask me about comfort level of grado, I'll say yes Grado is comfort, just make sure you can keep buying brand new pad each month.

btw, GS1000's pad has comfort level really high, with lightweight grado, I've found that GS1000i is one of the most comfortable headphone ever.

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
The flat pads straight up sound the best. They're also ironically the least comfortable. Bowls, comfies, bagels... all garbage compared to flats.

Wow, thanks for clearing that up for everyone.

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 10

The flat pads straight up sound the best. They're also ironically the least comfortable. Bowls, comfies, bagels... all garbage compared to flats.

Grado flat pads may be less comfortable in terms of pressure on the outer ear, but i find their softer foam material to be more comfortable on the skin surface than the sandpaper feel of the other Grado pads.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 10
My 325i are comfortable but only after I switched out the stock bowls for the G-Cushions.  Highly recommended.  Best $45 I've spent recently.  Better sound, too.

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 10
I prefer the fit of flats to other grado pads. even pressure>>pressure points.
I generally prefer the sound of grados with flats, but YMMV

Grados with GS-1000/PS-1000 pads all sound like garbage to me. rotten luck.
Bowls are neat, and sound good on a few headphones (HF-1/HF2/PS-1)
Flats are where its at for any non-i grado. SR-60 through HP-1000
I cant comment on i-versions, as I have never owned one. 

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 10
i tried my senn hd414 pads on my PS1000s, that i happily use on my sr60s and found them to not be comfortable on the 1000s. if there were hybrid pleather/velvet pads like i have for my hifiman 4XXs, i would be a happier camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back