Why is the closed-back market so bad?
Jun 15, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #46 of 98
I have an interesting personal perspective on value: I don't care how much it costs as long as it sounds good enough to me. :veryevil:

I believe you (or was it someone else?) said it was available new for under $100. $130 and $140 is not under $100.

I buy, sell, and trade headphones quite frequently and have no problem with buying used headphones...but would prefer buying new to at least have the safety and convenience of a return policy.

I'm only mildly interested in the Fostex, anyway. I actually want to save up for a STAX system sometime in the next few months.

I'm genuinely happy for you. When I first got the 7506, I was impressed by some aspects of its sound quality for the price.

However, to my ears, no acoustic instruments under any circumstances sound even half as bright and harsh in real life as the 7506 and HD 800 make them. (This is only for some of the upper frequencies, though.) And I do not have a sensitivity to realistic treble frequencies; I have a sensitivity to harsh treble frequencies that are not found in real life.

I strongly recommend trying out that calibration software with lots of music. It made a dramatic improvement. I can't even listen to the 7506 without EQ now. I used it for months without EQ, and now that I hear how much more accurate it sounds with EQ, I'm astonished at how well the human brain adapts. Personally, though, it still sounds like trash to me even with EQ, but I'm extremely picky and have heard many headphones. Didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade here. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

Maybe the best advise you have ever heard from me. There is a headphone Donald North owns and I think it will be the ultimate headphone you will love. They are a rare Beyer semi open called the 911. Totally flat. You have to hear them, have to!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-dt-911-headphones

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #52 of 98

I have an interesting personal perspective on value: I don't care how much it costs as long as it sounds good enough to me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well said.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #55 of 98
Other than a few notable exceptions, the closed back market is almost exclusively geared for work/portable (read: kid) use. The guy at work isn't exactly concerned with ultimate sound quality, because he's working. The kid with his MP3s and Youtube rips could's tell good sound if it bit him in the ass. What's the point, when neither of these two groups, aggregately, aren't willing or unable to utilize a higher performance envelope. The serious audio market wants open-back. Same reason we see complaints about long cords. The headphones in question were meant for home use, for a listener who knows why he's spending the money and is not planning on sitting behind a desk, not child barely old enough to get a driver's licence who wants to wear his $1500 cans outside as a status symbol.

Not true in my case. I want/use a quality closed back at work, with a quality amp. OPPO HA1 - PM3s. I need the closed back for my environment and use quality rips or Tidal.
I also take the PM3s home on weekends when I want to listen in the living room and not disturb anybody else. I think I'm serious audio market!. Yes I have open back Audezes and a set of Ethers on order, but I don't diss other peoples gear, because you prefer open in your case.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #56 of 98
Not true in my case. I want/use a quality closed back at work, with a quality amp. OPPO HA1 - PM3s. I need the closed back for my environment and use quality rips or Tidal.
I also take the PM3s home on weekends when I want to listen in the living room and not disturb anybody else. I think I'm serious audio market!. Yes I have open back Audezes and a set of Ethers on order, but I don't diss other peoples gear, because you prefer open in your case.

My comment addressed the market as a whole. I'm glad you found a solution that works for you.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #57 of 98
I also take the PM3s home on weekends when I want to listen in the living room and not disturb anybody else. I think I'm serious audio market!.

I'm pretty similar and, in addition to not wanting to disturb people, sometimes the neighbor kids playing outside are loud enough to make open backs useless.  It's a rare (but beloved) occasion when I'm in a quiet, dedicated place to really appreciate my open-back phones.

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #58 of 98
My comment addressed the market as a whole. I'm glad you found a solution that works for you.

I think "in the market as a hole" there are alot of us audiophiles that this solution works for.

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you, too.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #59 of 98
I think "in the market as a whole" there are alot of us audiophiles that this solution works for.

A lot of audiophiles is an oxymoron. Yes, there are some folks who differ on a headphone enthusiast forum. Shocking. Who would have thought?

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you, too.

I don't recall discussing one.

Edit: Wait, you own and use Bose speakers? We have nothing to talk about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back