Why is the closed-back market so bad?
Jun 9, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #16 of 98
Take it you haven't heard a DT150 !?!

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #18 of 98
  I think the standout at <$100 price point is the Fostex T50RP which can be modded to near-TOTL levels if you are handy

Where can I get it brand new for under $100?
eek.gif

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #19 of 98
At less than $100, a few Sony's are "kings" as well as the Shure SRH440s, KRK KNS8400s (on special), Audio Technica M30/M40x, Sennheiser HD280 Pro's, new Tascam's, AKG, etc.

I think the problem is that there are SO many headphones and so many different opinions that it all gets buried and a 'consensus' is never reached.

So, no, there's no lack of good headphones under $100. Had some of them and I can say that a couple more expensive headphones sound worse than some of these mentioned. But will not get into it here :p

Good luck.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #21 of 98
Why does there need to be a 'stand out' headphone anyway. There are none at any price or category really. Is a GR07 or whatever a standout product ? Its all about choice/ taste. Pointless question. Pointless thread really.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #22 of 98
Why does there need to be a 'stand out' headphone anyway. There are none at any price or category really. Is a GR07 or whatever a standout product ? Its all about choice/ taste. Pointless question. Pointless thread really.

Let's play nice!

Some headphones significantly outperform others in the same price range. For example, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 sounds far better to me in every way than the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, and I'm extremely picky with headphones...though the MT220 used to be $400 instead of $150, so it's not the fairest comparison. I even like the MT220 more than the HE1000, Abyss, HD 800, and HE-6, though...and those headphones cost $1,300 to $5,495! But yeah, it all comes down to taste in the end, no matter how each one is better or worse in technical performance.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #23 of 98
  At less than $100, a few Sony's are "kings" as well as the Shure SRH440s, KRK KNS8400s (on special), Audio Technica M30/M40x, Sennheiser HD280 Pro's, new Tascam's, AKG, etc. I think the problem is that there are SO many headphones and so many different opinions that it all gets buried and a 'consensus' is never reached. So, no, there's no lack of good headphones under $100. Had some of them and I can say that a couple more expensive headphones sound worse than some of these mentioned. But will not get into it here :p

Good luck.

+1 agreed. a multiple great options out there in the low price bracket as well. not as often mentioned around here.

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #25 of 98
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-150-over-ear-headphones/

I am familiar with that review and think they have no idea what they are talking about. The Sony MDR-7506 has extremely bright, nasty treble. (The HD 800 is even worse.) Not neutral in the slightest. The Sonarworks calibration profile dramatically improves that and makes it sound more accurate instead of nasty.

http://sonarworks.com/2015/06/studio-headphone-review-sony-mdr-7506/

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #26 of 98
  I am familiar with that review and think they have no idea what they are talking about. The Sony MDR-7506 has extremely bright, nasty treble. (The HD 800 is even worse.) Not neutral in the slightest. The Sonarworks calibration profile dramatically improves that and makes it sound more accurate instead of nasty.

http://sonarworks.com/2015/06/studio-headphone-review-sony-mdr-7506/

don't take this the wrong way, but have you considered that maybe you are just personally extremely sensitive to treble and just prefer a darker sound signature?

The mdr-7506 has been widely used in professional applications for at least the past 30 years and the hd800 is widely considered to be one of the most neutral headphones flagships you can get. sure, their sound signature may be a bit brighter than your typical mid-tier closed portable, but overall fall within a quite linear sound signature that fits what people refer to when they talk about neutral. I can see both of those headphones leaning on a bit brighter edge of neutral, but they are nowhere near as dramatically bright as some of the really bright headphones out there & really shouldn't shouldn't be that intolerable for the majority of users. the scale of their treble peaks are really not as significant or atypical compared to many other headphones considered neutral. many of the ultrasone and akg headphones out there are even brighter in sound signature from a relative comparison. many of the v-shaped or treble-oriented headphones have an even much more dramatic variation between their treble response and the rest of their sound signature which makes them sound even brighter.

I am really starting to get the feeling that it would most likely be pretty safe to say that your idea of neutral is not the same as what most people's idea of neutral. In fact, it sounds to me that your tastes are even darker than Tyll's. Which is totally chill, but may be much more helpful for you to start investigating headphones that people traditionally associate with darker sound signatures since you find headphones that are often commonly referred to as neutral to be too bright.

My recommendations of headphones to try would be the Audeze LCD-X, Oppo PM-1, and HE-560. Both fall within that 'neutral' orientation for your audiophile street cred, but not as bright as the HD800. Also, check out the AKG K812 pro and see what you think of them relatively. I think trying those four headphones without researching them beforehand would be very revealing of your preferences. I am going to place a bet on what you are going to say on each one =P

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #27 of 98
  don't take this the wrong way, but have you considered that maybe you are just personally extremely sensitive to treble and just prefer a darker sound signature?

The mdr-7506 has been widely used in professional applications for at least the past 30 years and the hd800 is widely considered to be one of the most neutral headphones flagships you can get. sure, their sound signature may be a bit brighter than your typical mid-tier closed portable, but overall fall within a quite linear sound signature that fits what people refer to when they talk about neutral. I can see both of those headphones leaning on a bit brighter edge of neutral, but they are nowhere near as dramatically bright as some of the really bright headphones out there & really shouldn't shouldn't be that intolerable for the majority of users. the scale of their treble peaks are really not as significant or atypical compared to many other headphones considered neutral. many of the ultrasone and akg headphones out there are even brighter in sound signature from a relative comparison. many of the v-shaped or treble-oriented headphones have an even much more dramatic variation between their treble response and the rest of their sound signature which makes them sound even brighter.

I am really starting to get the feeling that it would most likely be pretty safe to say that your idea of neutral is not the same as what most people's idea of neutral. In fact, it sounds to me that your tastes are even darker than Tyll's. Which is totally chill, but may be much more helpful for you to start investigating headphones that people traditionally associate with darker sound signatures since you find headphones that are often commonly referred to as neutral to be too bright.

My recommendations of headphones to try would be the Audeze LCD-X, Oppo PM-1, and HE-560. Both fall within that 'neutral' orientation for your audiophile street cred, but not as bright as the HD800. Also, check out the AKG K812 pro and see what you think of them relatively. I think trying those four headphones without researching them beforehand would be very revealing of your preferences. I am going to place a bet on what you are going to say on each one =P

Nonsense. Have you even heard the Sony? If not, buy it, then use that calibration profile. You can activate and deactivate it while listening. With it deactivated, it's pure murder your ears nastiness. With it activated, it sounds much more accurate. I hate dark headphones. I also hate bright headphones. I want accurate headphones that sound the closest to real life and/or the recording. I wish people would stop making claims about me that have nothing to do with reality. I hate to break it to you, but a headphone being used in "professional applications" means absolutely nothing other than the fact that marketing convinced them to use it. If you click the link I provided, it illustrates how much extra treble the headphone adds.

Also, don't you remember my comments about the Focal Spirit Professional and HD 650 being too dark?

And by the way, my current favorite headphone (Yamaha HPH-MT220) is slightly bright.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #28 of 98
It should also be noted that many studio monitor headphones have mediocre sound quality. I know this due to owning a decent number of them. I would never trust any of them for serious studio use. (Most studios rely on speakers anyway. Headphones are more a second opinion than anything, for that purpose.)

The MartinLogan Mikros 90 is of interest to me. It was originally released for $300, but is now available for $150 or even less. I am getting one in a trade. Although it has consumer-oriented styling and features, its sound quality is reportedly surprisingly good. I know someone who likes it more than his high-end headphones, including the STAX SR-507 and AKG K812.

Curious to hear your feedback on the Mikros 90. I think it makes it as a nicely balanced good sounding phone at it's original price point but truly a value and a great performance per dollar contender at it's going rate at 50% or more off retail (I got mine for $65). It certainly packs an interesting and unique aesthetic, good looking to my my eye.

With the number of phones currently in the stable they don't get a lot of head time but when I am in the mood I enjoy them.

:rolleyes:

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #29 of 98
Curious to hear your feedback on the Mikros 90. I think it makes it as a nicely balanced good sounding phone at it's original price point but truly a value and a great performance per dollar contender at it's going rate at 50% or more off retail I got mine for $65). It certainly packs an interesting and unique aesthetic, good looking to my my eye.

With the number of phones currently in the stable they don't get a lot of head time but when I am in the mood I enjoy them.

rolleyes.gif

The mids sounded pretty, but the treble was very odd and distorted. @pataburd told me it requires a lot of burn-in and settles down after that. I already traded it away, though...not a fan of on-ear headphones anyway, though this one is certainly more luxurious and comfortable than most of them.

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #30 of 98
Yes, they definitely needed a decent bit of burn in before everything settled down, minimum 50 hours but I think I found 100 hours the key.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back