Why is the closed-back market so bad?
Jun 9, 2015 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

Longtime Lurker

Head-Fier
It seems like there's no clear-cut standout headphone for every price range in the closed market. For IEMs, at about $100, people will either point you to the gr07 or the im70. For closed full-size headphones, it seems like there is no real standout at $100 or $200.

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 98
Personal opinion but ath-m50x for v-shaped bassy headphones at the sub-$150 range, akg k550/k553 (non-portable) or k545 or soundmagic hp150 at the sub-$200 range, nad visio at the $300 price point, oppo pm-3 at the $400 price point, alpha prime (non-portable) at the sub-$1k price point, th900 (non-portable)at the >$1k price point for v-shaped sound signature.

all those choices present a pretty well-balanced sound signature (except for the ones I noted as v-shaped) & offer tremendous performance per price point for a closed pair of headphones.

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 98
Other than a few notable exceptions, the closed back market is almost exclusively geared for work/portable (read: kid) use. The guy at work isn't exactly concerned with ultimate sound quality, because he's working. The kid with his MP3s and Youtube rips could's tell good sound if it bit him in the ass. What's the point, when neither of these two groups, aggregately, aren't willing or unable to utilize a higher performance envelope. The serious audio market wants open-back. Same reason we see complaints about long cords. The headphones in question were meant for home use, for a listener who knows why he's spending the money and is not planning on sitting behind a desk, not child barely old enough to get a driver's licence who wants to wear his $1500 cans outside as a status symbol.

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 98
I think the market for headphones is actually so good that it can be utterly over whelming if one is the type of person that likes to research before they buy. I am one of these people and it took me months to figure out what my next closed back headphone would be. Too many headphones, too much information to go through. 

The OP is right there is nothing clear cut, but that's difficult because sound is so subjective. There is not only preference, but also people have different hearing capabilities & sensitivities point blank. 

Sound isn't the only issue, there is also design, comfort, what the headphone is actually purposed for (casual listening, studio use, DJ use, active lifestyle, home use, etc.)

I'm just glad I found something after all these months, and I can forget about new headphones for a good long time.

Now I'm onto accessories. lol Different ear pads, travelling/storage case and/or bag, headphone stands etc.

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 98
The market for (hifi-) full-size closed headphones seems to be much smaller than the one for iems, full-size open or portable closed headphones, so there are not so many no-brainers. Full-size means home-use in most cases and then people take open cans for the wider stage and better comfort.. Just look at the Wall of Fame at innerfidelity. There are tons of recomended phones in the full-size open and only a few in the full-size sealed section.
I own one pair of full-size sealed headphones (NAD Viso HP 50)  and I only use them at night when my wife already sleeps next to me. It took a long time to find them also because most closed headphones simply do not sound good in my ears as I am used to open cans.
Edit: typo

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 98
@Longtime Lurker

Were you interested in learning about "standout headphones for every price range in the closed market" or only ones between $100 and $200?

Here are some notable closed headphones in various price ranges, from a few hundred to thousands of dollars. However, not all of them have objectively stellar sound quality. Some are notable for other reasons.

Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back
Bose QuietComfort 15
Focal Spirit Professional
JVC HA-SZ2000
MartinLogan Mikros 90
McIntosh MHP1000
PSB M4U 1
Yamaha HPH-MT220

@money4me247 already mentioned the Fostex TH-900, MrSpeakers Alpha Prime (there is also the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog), and OPPO PM-3, which I would have listed as well if I knew you were considering ones over $200.

Although many open headphones have better sound quality than many closed headphones, this is not a rule. There are plenty of closed headphones with better sound quality than plenty of open headphones as well.

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 98

Although many open headphones have better sound quality than many closed headphones, this is not a rule. There are plenty of closed headphones with better sound quality than plenty of open headphones as well.

That's a pretty truthful statement. Another point I'd like to add is not all open headphones have a stellar sound stage either. Some open cans I couldn't tell the difference besides not having isolation. 

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 98
Other than a few notable exceptions, the closed back market is almost exclusively geared for work/portable (read: kid) use. The guy at work isn't exactly concerned with ultimate sound quality, because he's working. The kid with his MP3s and Youtube rips could's tell good sound if it bit him in the ass. What's the point, when neither of these two groups, aggregately, aren't willing or unable to utilize a higher performance envelope. The serious audio market wants open-back. Same reason we see complaints about long cords. The headphones in question were meant for home use, for a listener who knows why he's spending the money and is not planning on sitting behind a desk, not child barely old enough to get a driver's licence who wants to wear his $1500 cans outside as a status symbol.

that's not true. there is a extremely large selection of high quality closed-back studio headphones under the $300 price point (sony mdrv6 at <$100). They are often used in professional audio, but not as much interest from audiophile niche or the general population.

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 98
that's not true. there is a extremely large selection of high quality closed-back studio headphones under the $300 price point (sony mdrv6 at <$100). They are often used in professional audio, but not as much interest from audiophile niche or the general population.

Those were the notable exceptions I mentioned at the beginning of my comment: Sony and AT pro 'phones along with several higher-performance models. I thought it was brutally obvious.

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 98
Those were the notable exceptions I mentioned at the beginning of my comment: Sony and AT pro 'phones along with several higher-performance models. I thought it was brutally obvious.

hahah i guess i feel like there are enough high quality studio closed backs out there that the category isnt really an exception. but of course, feel free to disagree. no offense meant.

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 98
hahah i guess i feel like there are enough high quality studio closed backs out there that the category isnt really an exception. but of course, feel free to disagree. no offense meant.

No offence taken. I can think of, maybe, a dozen decent studio 'phones under ~$200. Compare that to the hundred(s) of consumer-grade, walk around models from $4.99 on up. 498 headphones on Amazon fit that description, though I'm sure the count includes various color combinations. Still...

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 98
It should also be noted that many studio monitor headphones have mediocre sound quality. I know this due to owning a decent number of them. I would never trust any of them for serious studio use. (Most studios rely on speakers anyway. Headphones are more a second opinion than anything, for that purpose.)

The MartinLogan Mikros 90 is of interest to me. It was originally released for $300, but is now available for $150 or even less. I am getting one in a trade. Although it has consumer-oriented styling and features, its sound quality is reportedly surprisingly good. I know someone who likes it more than his high-end headphones, including the STAX SR-507 and AKG K812.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back