Why is everyone selling their Headfives?
Oct 2, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #61 of 70
Certainly it sounds a tad humorous that a person who considers a $250 amp "superb" is selling it nonetheless. As if he desperately needed the little money he'll gain to finance the "much more expensive" purchase, which of course will unquestionably be a lot more superb. If I ever stumble onto something superb, I'll want to tie it to myself for the rest of my life.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #62 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Certainly it sounds a tad humorous that a person who considers a $250 amp "superb" is selling it nonetheless. As if he desperately needed the little money he'll gain to finance the "much more expensive" purchase, which of course will unquestionably be a lot more superb. If I ever stumble onto something superb, I'll want to tie it to myself for the rest of my life.
rolleyes.gif

Well, since this is my first amp I don't have any comparison factor but it does sound superb to me, compared with the sound I was getting from my X-Fi headphone out.

Now, since I do not wish to start collecting amps and I'll probably be getting a CanAmp, X-Can V3 and one or two more DACs (or even a Grace m902) I just cannot justify having 3 ore more different amps with only a single source and pair of headphones.

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #63 of 70
I want to make it clear that the decision to change the title from "dumping" to "selling" was mine. I did it, not because the word "dumping" was not appropriate but becasue it appeared that some read more into it than was meant by the OP.

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #64 of 70
Speculation aside....I along with the OP, would still like to hear from the folks who did choose to sell their HeadFives and their reason(s) why.

Solitary1: Perhaps I did misunderstand the meaning of your post as it was worded; And that is the problem with the loose use of words, they convey implications and have ramifications beyond their intended meaning.

I took issue with the loose meaning of the posts choice of wording.

I accept responsibility for my unintended misunderstanding.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #65 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
Speculation aside....I along with the OP, would still like to hear from the folks who did choose to sell their HeadFives and their reason(s) why.

Solitary1: Perhaps I did misunderstand the meaning of your post as it was worded; And that is the problem with the loose use of words, they convey implications and have ramifications beyond their intended meaning.

I took issue with the loose meaning of the posts choice of wording.

I accept responsibility for my unintended misunderstanding.

Let's just get on with what has been an otherwise very good thread. Life's too short....

Oct 3, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #66 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen

I trust I have sufficiently given mine in prior posts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrea,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Certainly it sounds a tad humorous that a person who considers a $250 amp "superb" is selling it nonetheless. As if he desperately needed the little money he'll gain to finance the "much more expensive" purchase, which of course will unquestionably be a lot more superb.

As someone who is paying full-fee for his postgraduate studies (as well as admittedly not putting high priorities on spending all my money for audio gears), selling off the Headfive was an economically feasible decision to fund my upgraditis. Rather than coughing up AUD$800+ for the solo, being able to pay only around AUD$500 is more attractive proposition, right?
wink.gif
It was hard (on the heart) to sell off but ultimately money talks.

Cheers!

Oct 3, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #67 of 70
If the question was, "Is there a problem with the headfive?", I think we've learned that the answer is absolutely not. ATM there are about 380 happy owners not selling their amps, those selling it are often just moving up the upgrade ladder, and its most vocal detractor hasn't even ever heard the amp.

So the more interesting question is probably, "what are you dumping your headfives for?" - If you like the headfive sound but have tasted blood and want more, what would be the next step up?

Oct 3, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #68 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterR
...and its most vocal detractor hasn't even ever heard the amp.

Word.

Oct 4, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #69 of 70
My HeadFivr + UE Super.fi 5 Pro's have bettered--at least in my head--an MPX3 + K701's rig. In addition, I prefer the HF to both the Meier HA-2, Mk.II and the Eartube. The HF/UE combo is so fun, vibrant, involving and filled with surprises. It will be my budget reference all-SS amp. I have the DarkVoice 336i and a G&W T2.6F on order, for budget reference all-tube and budget reference hybrid amps, respectively. After selling my MPX3/K701 off, I've got three great amps and a nice set of IEM's, with about $1K in change!
tongue.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #70 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterR
If the question was, "Is there a problem with the headfive?", I think we've learned that the answer is absolutely not. ATM there are about 380 happy owners not selling their amps, those selling it are often just moving up the upgrade ladder, and its most vocal detractor hasn't even ever heard the amp.

So the more interesting question is probably, "what are you dumping your headfives for?" - If you like the headfive sound but have tasted blood and want more, what would be the next step up?

I've got my eyes on the Heed CanAmp (sp?). Not that big of an upgrade price-wise, but from the descriptions on the forum a completely different animal. Although I usually don't buy the same piece of equipment twice (with the exception of the HD600's), I can see myself picking another Headfive up in the future as a secnd or third amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back