Why is everyone selling their Headfives?
Sep 30, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Me, I simply know I don't feel sorry for having missed the Headfive. I don't know if that's for good, or just caprice. But I don't think it's caprice to be uninspired. That's all, please don't flame
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanx for stating your consistant opinion on the HeadFive Andrea and again, not being sorry for having never heard it.
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

Me, I simply know I don't feel sorry for having missed the Headfive. I don't know if that's for good, or just caprice. But I don't think it's caprice to be uninspired. That's all, please don't flame
smily_headphones1.gif

Ugh I hope this doesn't turn into another Andrea Headfive bash thread. I am quit sick of seeing it personally...I'm sure others are as well.

Andrea wanted to buy the amp, then didn't, then did, then didn't. Then he gets angry with Jan when he wouldn't accept an order from him yet again. Ever since then it's been a steady bash fest.

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Andrea, please don't start. This thread was not meant as a negative towards the Headfive. I stated in my original post that I love the amp myself, and from 99% of the posts I've read here regarding it, I am not alone. That was what piqued my curiosity when I saw the number of Headfives for sale recently. I was looking for reasons similar or different than my reason for selling. Mine has only been gone for 3-4 days, and I must admit I may be having a few withdrawals. I'm sure that will be taken care of when I buy my next amp. My X-Can v3 will hold me over in the interim, and I did just buy a PINT to see what all the hoopla is regarding it.

This was my first involvement in a group buy, so I take Dr. Meier's response as a definitve answer and also appreciate the others' opinions as good points. When a large number of amps are sold within a short period, there are bound to be a percentage of resales within another short period. Something I hadn't taken into consideration.

I can definitely see the Headfive being used as a second room/bedroom or office amp for those that have higher-end amps in their main rigs. I can't really use a headphone amp at work, I use the Altec Lansing IM7 to amplify my iPod in my office (and while a good unit, it cannot match any of the headphone amps I've owned).

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #35 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Well, the Headfive is generally accepted as a warm-sounding amp with some bass bloom added in for measure. Anyone who does not like these traits in their sound will easily find other units that will hence better the Headfive in their opinion.

I definatly agree, it is easy to find other amplifiers with a different sonic signature which one may prefer with their existing cans of choice. I'll definatly agree the combination of the H5 and the HD-580s/HD-650s was hororendously syrupy warm with bloated bass lacking detail. Glad i then tried the AKG-701s and now Beyer DT-990se with it for my budget entry level high end HP system fronted by the Squeezebox and the Sony ce595 SACD unit. Lots of versitility and utility at an entry level price point to high end sonics; Which,not suprisingly, I'm sure would scale up well with a $800-$1000 amplifier. Which is what I now have invested in total.

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
I'll definatly agree the combination of the H5 and the HD-580s/HD-650s was hororendously syrupy warm with bloated bass lacking detail.

Gotta disagree with you there. Syrupy warm with bloated bass is not my lasting memory of the H5-HD600 combo. Warm, yes but not syrupy and bass heavy, but not bloated with lack of detail. What ICs were you using?

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
Gotta disagree with you there. Syrupy warm with bloated bass is not my lasting memory of the H5-HD600 combo. Warm, yes but not syrupy and bass heavy, but not bloated with lack of detail. What ICs were you using?

Same interconnects as now; Monster ICs as I had them available...I understand these are NOT held in high regard 'round here, and I do expect they are relativily warm also. But, I don't believe these ICs would tip the presentation to the degree I was experiencing it! Perhaps ICs are the next step one should take in any existing systems tunning?

I returned the HD-580s which amazon agreed they were having quite a few returned with quality defects. The returned HD-650s to J&Rs I'll assume were not defective, but I still have lingering doubts.

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #38 of 70
I had the HeadFive on loan from a friend in a period when I was looking for some higher-end amplification (in fact, I've bought an Earmax Pro, which I like a lot). But, in the same time, I had the opportunity to listen to that little amp.
It is my first Meier amp I've ever listened.

*Little*?!? ...I had to buy this amp from that friend!
wink.gif
cool.gif

Way too much musicality, correctness and powerful music from that concentration of kindness, good sound and engineering. Ok, not the most quick and "harmonic" amp ever made, but for the price (and probably twice the price) it makes wonderful sound.

For me, one of the best q/p amp ever made.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #39 of 70
There were a couple of reasons that I sold mine.

I'll start off by agreeing with the general consensus, the H5 is a lovely, warm and musical amp, a great buy for the price. It's also undeniably the warmest sounding solid state headphone amp I've heard at any price. I really liked it, but I can see why some might think it's too warm, especially when partnered with warm kit. I can't imagine how dark it might have sounded with my old DT770s for instance.
It still revealed a good amount of detail despite this warmth.

The simple reasons I sold mine where the old Head-Fi curse of upgraditis and the fact that I needed some other features that it never had.
I already had the A.N.T. Audio Amber and the Ray Samuels Raptor. The Raptor was getting all of the airtime, but I still wanted to have a solid state amp in my rig, so I figured I'd upgrade to a SS amp that's was on a higher level, getting up towards the Raptor in terms of price/performance/reviews, and decided on the GS-1 because of the good reviews it received and the fact that it can be used as a passive switch for my sources as well.

So I simply sold the H5 and the A.N.T. Audio Amber.
These days my opinion that the Headsave Classic was the best sound/value amp I've heard (which is a bit useless as it's not available anymore), but the Headfive runs it a close second. Lovely amp with build quality that goes far beyond its €200 price-tag.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

Andrew, how many headphone amps in about the same price range have you heard? I remember the G&W TW-J1, and...?
confused.gif

For someone who is questioning how many amps a forum member has heard in the same price range, you have an awful lot to say about amps you've never heard yourself.

edit: seriously, what's going on with the weird post-order on head-fi lately??

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
For me, one of the best q/p amp ever made.

Andrew, how many headphone amps in about the same price range have you heard? I remember the G&W TW-J1, and...?
confused.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #42 of 70
The photo of the insides of the Head-Five appears to have 4 opamps in the front (behind the volume pot) that look to be socketed.
Has anyone considered replacing the opamps to tune the sound a bit?
Is it possible?

646c.jpg

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #43 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
The photo of the insides of the Head-Five appears to have 4 opamps in the front (behind the volume pot) that look to be socketed.
Is it possible?

There socketed, but Jan doesn't recommend it read this thread
Towards the bottom he says:
The input biasing currents of an opamp has nothing (!!) to do with the biasing current at the output that drives the output stage into class-A.
Both the inverting and the non-inverting inputs of an opamp draw very small constant currents from the circuitry connected. These currents are rather high with bipolar inputs. They're very low with FET inputs. Therefore, inside the HEADFIVE, the bipolar LM6171 can not be exchanged for other opamps, most of which are FET opamps.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #44 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
Is it possible?

It is, but you'd have to replace them with others that have a similar input bias current. There don't seem to be many, really. One very interesting candidate is the Texas Instruments THS4051 (to be mounted on BrownDogs 'cause it only comes SMD). But Jan had better confirm first if 2.5 uA is similar enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back