Why is everyone selling their Headfives?
Sep 29, 2006 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

Solitary1

1000+ Head-Fier
These were the hottest thing since...whatever was hot before it
600smile.gif

Now, they're all over the for sale forum (including mine, recently departed). Is it another flavor of the month thing? I loved the amp, upgrade-itis got me, true for everybody? It also wasn't my only amp.....

Sep 29, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
These were the hottest thing since...whatever was hot before it
600smile.gif

Now, they're all over the for sale forum (including mine, recently departed). Is it another flavor of the month thing? I loved the amp, upgrade-itis got me, true for everybody? It also wasn't my only amp.....

Huh? My Headfive is perhaps the MVP in my lineup. Cold dead hands, and all that. People like to buy and sell audio gear, that's all. And yes, sometimes the FOTM tastes pretty good . . .

Sep 29, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 70
I don't think it is a bad sign. It is just part of the typical lifecycle of a new piece of gear at headfi. Everyone wants to hear it, a lot do, and then move on to the next item. It's part of what makes the FS forums do amazing here.

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 70
It should be noted, their resale has been pretty amazing as well. Most people seem to be losing about $10-$20... This is one of the reasons I decided to buy brand new.

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 70
I got a Zana Deux and don't need the H5 anymore.

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162
It should be noted, their resale has been pretty amazing as well. Most people seem to be losing about $10-$20... This is one of the reasons I decided to buy brand new.

I actually lost about AU$50 on the sale (after shipping). Nevertheless, the resale value is good indeed. I could have lost far more with any other headphone-related gears.

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162

Now, that is true. But, they are only a few months old. I rec'd mine in July. With all the positive things said about the amps, it would stand to reason that depreciation would be minimal within that time frame. Let's see what used ones go for a year from now (especially considering this was a limited edition amp).

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 70
My guess is a lot of forumgoers with higher-end gear bought an H5 out of a mixture of curiousity and loyalty. And however good the H5 is, if you've already got an MPX3 on the shelf....

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 70
the resale value isn't that good... my asking price isn't anywhere near what people are offering.

i was actually surprized when people thought my review gave the Glite an edge.... because i greatly preferred the H5 more mature soundstage than the "headphone" like presentation of the Glite.

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 70
i bought mine partly out of curiousity, partly out of "loyalty" since part of the cost was money to head-fi. but mostly i was interested in trying out crossfeed, which ultimately wasn't my kind of thing. it's certainly a good peformer and a great deal at that price, IMO.

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 70
I love mine, #30 was a present to my self on my 30th birthday. I don't ever see me wanting to get rid of it. The crossfeed is brilliant, makes some of the old unbalanced classic rock listenable on my cans. At the price it's selling for, I think it's a clear bargain, and can't believe so many are still available.

Sep 30, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #14 of 70
Hi guys

"they're all over the for sale forum (including mine, recently departed). Is it another flavor of the month thing?"

I guess a lot is in the numbers. Within a few months nearly 400 amps were sold. That's actually a very high number for a headamp. If only 2..3% of the owners decided to sell the amp (because of upgrading or whatever reason) that results in 10 amplifiers hitting the second-hand market.

Other amplifiers may not show that much in the fore-sale forum, but they probably haven't been sold by the 400.

Cheers

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back