Why is everyone selling their Headfives?
Oct 2, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #46 of 70
Looks like the "DUMPED" headfives can be had for below $200 shipped Today.... Soon even Andrea in economy class may take one more HeadFive off the market as the "Dumped" price seems to be heading towards $175 shipped!

I also see a Singlepower being "DUMPED" after 3 months also.

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #47 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
Looks like the "DUMPED" headfives can be had for below $200 shipped Today.... Soon even Andrea in economy class may take one more HeadFive off the market as the "Dumped" price seems to be heading towards $175 shipped!

I also see a Singlepower being "DUMPED" after 3 months also.

You seem to have a problem with my using the term "dumped". It's the second time in the thread you've quoted it. It's a generic term, not meant to be "sensationalist" as you implied. What's up?

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
You seem to have a problem with my using the term "dumped". It's the second time in the thread you've quoted it. It's a generic term, not meant to be "sensationalist" as you implied. What's up?

Folks tend to be sensitive with negative words regarding favourite amps in the forum. If its bose or others , no one will have any problem with the word 'dump'

Oct 2, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #49 of 70
I believe sometimes certain things happened for a reason. I placed my H5 in FS forum and found the buyer in the local area and I thought that was the last time will I see H5 amp in action. However, it turned out that buyer backed out at the last minute so I decided to just keep the amp after all instead of putting it on FS forum again. And now, I am glad that last buyer backed out. The sound of my H5 is getting better and better for my ears. I am not sure if it was "burn-in" amp thing but I am sure glad that H5 is part of my permanent rig so it will remain with me for a very long time. It seems like some amps are easy to fall in love at first hearing and others takes time to appreciate them and H5 is certainly latter for me. Just my 2 cents....
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #50 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
It is, but you'd have to replace them with others that have a similar input bias current. There don't seem to be many, really. One very interesting candidate is the Texas Instruments THS4051 (to be mounted on BrownDogs 'cause it only comes SMD). But Jan had better confirm first if 2.5 uA is similar enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, as one who doesn't really love the LM6171, I really think that the THS4051 could do good to the Headfive... The only things to worry about with these in, would be a potentially higher DC offset at the output (less than 20 mV is fine), & eventual presence of small crackling noises when turning the volume knob. If both these things are OK, then the modded (upgraded?) Headfive is ready to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
Everyone is NOT selling their HeadFives OP!

Back to the melodies-

P.S. Thanks moderators for the edit to the subject line.

You need to raise up off of me.

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #53 of 70
Everyone is NOT selling their HeadFives OP!

Back to the melodies-

P.S. Thanks moderators for the edit to the subject line.

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #54 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Let's keep this on topic without the personal stuff, please.

I've changed the title, now can we keep it on topic.

are you kidding me? dumped was offensive?
rolleyes.gif

i'm waiting for these to be dumped for $100 and i may pick one up.

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #55 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdeth
are you kidding me? dumped was offensive?
rolleyes.gif

i'm waiting for these to be dumped for $100 and i may pick one up.

That's what I'm talking about. What is up with this censorship? A word as generic as "dumped" is deemed offensive or politically incorrect? And neither the term or my post was intended as deragotory towards the amplifier itself (as I stated). There was ONE person that seemed to have an issue with it.

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #56 of 70
Well I'm thinking on return/sell my H5 with less than 2 weeks because after hearing the sound improvement I got from this amp I'm now considering getting a high-end DAC and an even better amp.

I guess I got the upgrade fever. The H5 is a superb amp but there's no sense on keeping it if I'm getting better (and much more expensive) amps to replace it.

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #57 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
That's what I'm talking about. What is up with this censorship? A word as generic as "dumped" is deemed offensive or politically incorrect? And neither the term or my post was intended as deragotory towards the amplifier itself (as I stated). There was ONE person that seemed to have an issue with it.

Dude, calm down. Also, I doubt "raise up off" has the intended "oomph" in a forum that it might in person....

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #58 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by smartins
Well I'm thinking on return/sell my H5 with less than 2 weeks because after hearing the sound improvement I got from this amp I'm now considering getting a high-end DAC and an even better amp.

I guess I got the upgrade fever. The H5 is a superb amp but there's no sense on keeping it if I'm getting better (and much more expensive) amps to replace it.

I am of the feeling that this probably sums up the majority of Head-Five listings in the FS forum. Am I being naiive?

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #59 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
I am of the feeling that this probably sums up the majority of Head-Five listings in the FS forum. Am I being naiive?

Certainly not.

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #60 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Btw, as one who doesn't really love the LM6171, I really think that the THS4051 could do good to the Headfive... The only things to worry about with these in, would be a potentially higher DC offset at the output (less than 20 mV is fine), & eventual presence of small crackling noises when turning the volume knob. If both these things are OK, then the modded (upgraded?) Headfive is ready to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm suprised more moderfiers haven't taken the solder iron to the H5 and as Andrea suggested elsewhere replaced the Capicitors to BlackGates. I also wonder what might be done to it with regards to smooth out the grain in the HFs ? I've used it coupled to a tube preamp, for example, to good effect also in utility to switch between my sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back