Why HD650 is not highly regarded as HD600 and HD580?
Oct 26, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #61 of 108
Cutting through all the hype I had both HD600 & HD650 and I sold the HD600, I still have the HD650 and won't be buying the HD600s again.

No one here can tell you which one is better for you except you!!

Steve

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #62 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
...if any concert hall ever sounded like either the HD650 or the GS1000 they would sue the architect.

That's the best thig I've read in a while, man. Thanks!
(seriously, I love it)

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #63 of 108
Hey... how on earth could a headphone (!) sound like a concert hall (or the other way around) ? One thing is clear... such a thing sounds like madness!

Oct 26, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #64 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Hey... how on earth could a headphone (!) sound like a concert hall (or the other way around) ? One thing is clear... such a thing sounds like madness!

Maybe with an excellent binaural recording.

Oct 26, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #65 of 108
Quote:

He meant faithfullness (or more like, simulating. Recording can never copy real thing) to original, natural sound of instrument instead of warmly coloring and softening it, not as a soundstage.

Concert Hall soundstage in headphone!!!!!
blink.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #66 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
He meant faithfullness (or more like, simulating. Recording can never copy real thing) to original, natural sound of instrument instead of warmly coloring and softening it, not as a soundstage.

If he actually meant that (I'm not sure?), then I guess he was just plain wrong.
smily_headphones1.gif

But the effort at humour was nice, if inoffensive.

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #67 of 108
Quote:

If he actually meant that (I'm not sure?), then I guess he was just plain wrong.
smily_headphones1.gif

But the effort at humour was nice, if inoffensive.

Well, thats how i understood his post anyway...
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #68 of 108
I have mixed feelings about stepping in here, but here is my opinion.

First, on recommendations on this board and retailers I bought 650s. I liked them enough that I own three pairs (two balanced in one location, one single-ended in another). I still like them very much.

Second, after a conversation with a respected nameless amp designing personage at the last Boston meet, I ordered a pair of 600s. I have been using them balanced (Cardas cable) with a maxxed out Headroom Home. I listen to a lot of orchestral and jazz. Right now, I am liking the 600s better: they just seem cleaner to me. My opinion. But, you can't fault either the amp or the cable.

If Senn comes out with 700s that take the best features of both, I'll be there to try 'em.

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #69 of 108
I just got my 600s and i must say these are much better than the 650 regardless of source/amp. I've never liked the 650's sliggish and slow bass which makes everything muddy...good for people who wants more body in their music (no pun intended). As far as I'm concerned, the 701 n 600 are the two best phones ive ever heard.

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #71 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci
I do not think the bass is bloated either. Also although they may not be tonally accurate I do enjoy their timbral presentation on good recordings. IMHO, YMMV, etc. etc. etc.

Don't let those rare but vocal people avulse (actually they seem almost frightened and paranoiac about it
biggrin.gif
) to bass, body, fullness and anything alike... Don't let them convince you that they're not tonally accurate headphones.

And as a general piece of advice -- whatever moves you, is tonally accurate, not just, it is true. That's the only unobjectionable rule for sonic judgment you'll ever come to learn (if you do).
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #72 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
I just got my 600s and i must say these are much better than the 650 regardless of source/amp. I've never liked the 650's sliggish and slow bass which makes everything muddy...good for people who wants more body

I agree - the 650's always get the "balanced turns them into a whole new phone" excuse. I've heard them a couple of weeks ago balanced and guess what, it sounded like a 650. Why is there always an excuse for the 650's when maybe they just aren't for everyone
confused.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #73 of 108
Quote:

Don't let those few but vocal people avulse (actually they seem almost scared
tongue.gif
) to bass, body, fullness and anything alike... Don't let them convince you that they're not tonally accurate headphones.

Whatever moves you, is tonally accurate, not just, it is true. That's the only objective rule for judgment you'll ever come to learn (if you do).
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmmm few vocal people...

..."don't let them convice you"...

Are you talking about yourself?
tongue.gif

You seem to come in full defense of the 650's when others just don't like them or prefer them to other phones. Sounds like you're the one trying to change minds.

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #74 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
You seem to come in full defense of the 650's when others just don't like them or prefer them to other phones. Sounds like you're the one trying to change minds.

Might want to re-read my post
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #75 of 108
The 650s aren't for everyone. Nevertheless, neither are the K1000s, R10s, K701s ,etc.

I've tried many different cans but always find myself going back to the 650s. While I don't use them for low volume listening, at my normal listening volume, I have yet to find a set of cans that are more sonically pleasing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back