Why have so many people re-purchased the HD650s so many times?
May 2, 2007 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

GregBe

100+ Head-Fier
It is amusing to me, as I read more and more posts here, that there are so many people buying, selling and rebuying the 650s so many times.

I am not sure if it is a good thing that they miss them when they are gone, or a bad thing that they can't find happiness when they have them.

Any thoughts?

May 2, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 60
In order to understand it, you'll have to purchase THEN sell a pair first!
wink.gif

May 2, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 60
Buy them, try them, sell them, try something else, dont like that somethign as much.

They are excellent headphones.

May 2, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 60
i see it more like sleeping with your ex. it's great fun on occasion to revisit for old times sake and then you realize once again why you left.

May 2, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 60
i've thought about selling my hd650 before but i know that i'd miss them too much so the thought hasn't come into my mind lately. i've enjoyed them more than others such as RS1, which are also great headphones in their own right, so there is no reason to sell them.

May 2, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by earache /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see it more like sleeping with your ex. it's great fun on occasion to revisit for old times sake and then you realize once again why you left.

ROFL!

May 2, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by earache /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very well said...

Agreed. Excellent in so many ways but that sleepy factor creeps up after awhile - my guess anyway.

Those that don't get sleepy with them, have a keeper for life... or until the next Senn comes out.

May 2, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 60
I think it's a combination of the fact that they're so bad with low-to-mid-fi source and equipment--and hype here.

So as a previous poster said, once people have upgraded their amp and source experimenting with other headphones they want to see if it changes their first (negative) impression they had. The hype then I think causes people to go "did I miss something the first time? Look at these glowing comments! I have to try these again."

HD650 love though is a phenomenon I simply don't understand. But maybe they're an acquired taste like scotch or something.

May 2, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 60
The HD650 is a superb headphone for the money - that explains the "buy" part of the equation. They can be a gateway drug into the upper echelon headphones; many people sell their 650 to finance this journey. They also scale very well with gear, so once you've well worn the upgrade path you may get very curious as to how the solid old 650 might sound on your shiny new amp & source...or you may just find you miss its sound for what it is. The replacement cable options also increase its versatility.

Another reason to re-buy them after you've already got 1 or more elite headphones - it's hard to relax when handling a $2K+ headphone. Sometimes you just want a beater can that can be dropped or tossed without worry, replaced easily...the HD650 is durable, cheap, abundantly available - and it's about the best sound quality you're gonna get from a beater can.

Haha, have to admit earache's theory sounds pretty damn good, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back